Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 12:00 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Potlucks hosted by someone in their home are tacky anyway. Don't worry about a price label.

I always bring pre-made food with the ingredients clearly labeled on it, in case someone decides to sue me because it contained an allergen or gluten. I can just say it was clearly labeled with all the ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 09:07 PM

914 posts, read 642,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I attend a lot of pot lucks.

The stuff that comes straight from the deli or grocery store bakery doesn't get eaten because it's not as good as the home made stuff, BUT, there is the advantage of having an ingredient list right there on the package so people who have food sensitivities can be accommodated without having to seek out the person who brought the item and ask what's in it.

But yeah. No one I know wants what's in that clamshell package of bakery cookies, or an open bag of chips, or a cheese and cracker and ham cubes holiday platter when there's homemade stuff on the buffet.

With the one exception of ChickFilA fried chicken tenders. No matter how large a plastic party platter of those you bring, every single tender and every drop of dipping sauce will be gone.
I'm a veteran of potlucks. I love them with my sailing club, my workplace, church, and at least a couple of other "clubs." I usually do something really tasty and satisfying like small savory meatballs or tempura chicken strips and have never had leftovers (I try to avoid leftovers and at the same time offer something nice).

I used to freely trust people to hold clean standards, but today, people seem so careless and hateful, so at potlucks, I only eat things from people whom I know are safe.

There's always those who have such busy lives with kids or what ever who are coerced into participating so for the sake of time they bring the dreaded pasta salads from the store. I don't eat them, but respect that they brought a perfunctory offering. It's a shame because deli salads usually go into the waste bin after the event.

Then you've got the crowds who consistently bring nothing but crudely ravish the offerings of others, but that's another thread.

Last edited by settled00; 10-20-2019 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: changed to proper tense

Old 10-20-2019, 10:02 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't think anyone else will care what you paid at the deli so long as it isn't a "manager's special" markdown. And then it isn't about the price but about the expiration date. But a blacked out price with a sharpie or the remnants of a peeled off sticker will certainly bring attention to the fact that YOU cared about the price. This is a potluck not a gift exchange.
Makes sense. I guess blacking out the price draws attention to it, rather than mask it. Probably better to peel off the entire label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
There's always those who have such busy lives with kids or what ever who are coerced into participating so for the sake of time they bring the dreaded pasta salads from the store. I don't eat them, but respect that they brought a perfunctory offering. It's a shame because deli salads usually go into the waste bin after the event.
I often bring a salmon or crab dip, along with crackers to go with it. Or something more exotic, like a herring paste. One advantage of living near an ethnic supermarket is an inexpensive deli: an item that costs $9.99 at a mainstream supermarket sets me back just $6.99, give or take. Seafood too. It feels more classy than a pasta salad, and most people like it. Well, at least in social circles with adventurous tastes.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-20-2019 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 10:54 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
I agree that it’s fine so long as it wasn’t marked down because it was nearing expiration!

Old 10-21-2019, 05:54 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
I would remove the price label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I’m not sure “potluck” and “classy occasion” go together. Don’t get me wrong, I like a decent potluck, but let’s not pretend they’re classy events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Especially not work pot lucks.
Definitely not classy. I'm glad my current employer doesn't do pot lucks. A past employer did those fairly regularly (~2 months or so for some occasion). I didn't enjoy those. I usually signed up to bring fruit from the grocery store. I would buy a fruit mix and peel off the label.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:57 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nothing says lovin’ like tossing a plastic tub from the deli on the table. The price tag is the least of it. If you are worried about it, place it into a nice serving dish.
ha ha. Depending on what it is, I find it a bit lazy not to make something from home unless the event requires “store bought” only. Plus most of the stuff from the deli isn’t very healthy or looks gross. Those salads and beans from the plastic tubs are disgusting. yuck. And full of ingredients I don’t want to ingest. Yuck.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:52 AM
aax

710 posts, read 497,294 times
If its a high price leave it on, so everyone can see you spent a lot. If it was cheap take it off.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:33 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
I don't think you need to remove or hide the price. It's food to be shared, it's not a gift.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:10 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
For a casual pot luck with people who aren't close friends or family, I doubt that "loving" is a high priority. Not to mention, in such social circles, people may be more comfortable with something store-bought than homemade, since they don't know each other well. In fact, some pot lucks, particularly at work, don't allow homemade food for safety/hygiene reasons. In which case, a store-packaged deli item is a perfectly good option. The remaining question is what to do about the price label; hence, this thread.

I get it, when it's just a group of close friends or family getting together. I mean, who's going to care one way or the other. But...'presentation' can be achieved easily enough. You could go to the dollar store and pick up one or two cheap serving bowls...and it would look 'nicer' than the container it came in.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:03 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I wouldn't worry about the price sticker... just leave it.

I'm not a huge fan of potlucks either. I have a pretty strong stomach, but I randomly get grossed out on things. I'm ok with some home cooked food and not others. Store bought usually doesn't entice me that much either. It's often dried out and not as tasty as freshly selected. I usually bring a veggie, cheese, and fruit tray that I put together myself depending upon what is available and looks fresh. It's usually well received. I wash the fruits and veggies and put it on my own platter and bring my own serving utensils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships