Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,325,176 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't care less how much the price is - $10.00 or $30.00. It's a potluck, everybody chips in; somebody chips in more, somebody less, it's up to each person.

Don't worry too much. There are so many kinds of food and so much food to eat. Everybody eats, talks, be happy. Who cares? Whoever notices others bring what and criticizes, whispers, gossips with others, it shows that that person is nosy and small. That person spoils the potluck for her/himself. That's his/her problem.

When I join potlucks, I bring more than for than for myself, and most people do of course, no matter make or buy. When I don't want to join for some reason, I just don't join. If someone asks me what I would bring, I'd say I'm busy this time, I don't have time to make anything, and I would not eat anything from the potluck. Just simple as that. I don't care what people say or think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 10:05 PM

914 posts, read 643,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Was it Chick-Fil-A, by any chance? That company (and by extension, their food) doesn't get a lot of love in the liberal circles. Even so, it must be a localized phenomenon. A pot luck I went to last year had a big box of Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets. They got picked clean in an hour. Well, the box wasn't emptied out, but most of it was gone.

Yup. See above. That said, Chicago liberalism is different from West Coast liberalism: it's more fiscal (tax and spend) than social (snowflakes). So it means Chick-Fil-A has lesser odds of being boycotted. I'll stop here; after all, I don't want to derail my own thread.
Yes, it was the Chick-Fil-A nuggets with biscuits. I had most of the entire tray left over.

Interesting about the ChiTown libs and West Coasters. Yes, CA is all about social, it seems anyway.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:04 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
When I was in my 20s, I worked at a bank. It was always very slow and boring, so we had a lot of food events to pass the time. Every time we planned a potluck, one young girl always said she’d bring the jello. She was so cheap, she’d grind up eggshells for calcium.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:36 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,032 times
How about we just eliminate pot lucks altogether?

Old 10-22-2019, 11:29 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Nothing says lovin’ like tossing a plastic tub from the deli on the table.
LOL, I know right?

Old 10-22-2019, 01:58 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
Quote:
One of the most popular pot luck dishes are packaged deli dips or premade salads, at least at the pot lucks I've been doing to. The items almost always come in a plastic tub with a lid. (Although with the growing anti-plastic movement, they might soon come in waxed cardboard tubs instead, but I digress.) There's always a label on the lid, with the store name, product name, and price.

This is where the title question comes in: Should you remove or cover up the price? I usually don't do it, especially if it's a casual pot luck with friends who know where I shop. But for a more classy occasion or with new people, is it better to peel off the label or black out the price with a sharpie? Advertising how much you spent strikes me as a bit tacky, although not severely enough to be a social blunder.

What do other people on here think?
I think grown adults should be past the point of even briefly worrying over such details, but if you were to ask columnist Miss Manners, I'm sure she'd have an opinion one way or another.

I'm going to bet on removing the label. But unless you know people there and their allergies, I'd leave the name / ingredients for attendees to read on any prepared dish, sans price.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:35 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
One of the most popular pot luck dishes are packaged deli dips or premade salads, at least at the pot lucks I've been doing to. The items almost always come in a plastic tub with a lid. (Although with the growing anti-plastic movement, they might soon come in waxed cardboard tubs instead, but I digress.) There's always a label on the lid, with the store name, product name, and price.

This is where the title question comes in: Should you remove or cover up the price? I usually don't do it, especially if it's a casual pot luck with friends who know where I shop. But for a more classy occasion or with new people, is it better to peel off the label or black out the price with a sharpie? Advertising how much you spent strikes me as a bit tacky, although not severely enough to be a social blunder.

What do other people on here think?
You are taking lunch mean to a 'classy' event?

No.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
How about we just eliminate pot lucks altogether?
For an evening at someone's home I think they are tacky as hell. I don't require my dinner guests to bring food.

I went to a potluck pool party one time and the "hostess" wanted everyone to bring two side dishes, their own beverages, and their own folding tables and chairs to sit in. She said "I'm providing the meat!" Tacky woman wanted to have a party but make all her guests pay for it and do the work.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:01 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
I went to a potluck one time at someone's home and one of the thoughtless guests actually had the audacity to leave the price tag remaining on the container of bean dip.

I was so offended and felt betrayed! It was just sooooooo offensive and I simply couldn't comprehend the lack of graciousness by the person who brought this!! I was devastated!!!

I yelled to the host "Never again will I be so traumatized by such a thoughtless act!!! I am out of here and you will never see me at this place ever again!!!" as I stormed out of the home and slammed the door shut.

...(Just kidding).

Old 10-22-2019, 06:33 PM

6,467 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
For an evening at someone's home I think they are tacky as hell. I don't require my dinner guests to bring food.

I went to a potluck pool party one time and the "hostess" wanted everyone to bring two side dishes, their own beverages, and their own folding tables and chairs to sit in. She said "I'm providing the meat!" Tacky woman wanted to have a party but make all her guests pay for it and do the work.
I figure if the choice is between "everyone brings something and actually gets together," vs. "nobody ever does anything because nobody can afford to host and pay for everything"... I'll take the former, every time. To me it's important that we're spending time together, not that one person is footing the bill. If I can't afford/be bothered to take one thing to a party, I'm surely not going to judge someone else for not being able to afford/be able to provide *everything*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships