Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 06:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
One of the most popular pot luck dishes are packaged deli dips or premade salads, at least at the pot lucks I've been doing to. The items almost always come in a plastic tub with a lid. (Although with the growing anti-plastic movement, they might soon come in waxed cardboard tubs instead, but I digress.) There's always a label on the lid, with the store name, product name, and price.

This is where the title question comes in: Should you remove or cover up the price? I usually don't do it, especially if it's a casual pot luck with friends who know where I shop. But for a more classy occasion or with new people, is it better to peel off the label or black out the price with a sharpie? Advertising how much you spent strikes me as a bit tacky, although not severely enough to be a social blunder.

What do other people on here think?
I take the price tags off everything for anything at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 07:24 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I went to a potluck pool party one time and the "hostess" wanted everyone to bring two side dishes, their own beverages, and their own folding tables and chairs to sit in. She said "I'm providing the meat!" Tacky woman wanted to have a party but make all her guests pay for it and do the work.
You went, didn't you?

But she's "tacky."

Old 10-26-2019, 10:38 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You take price labels off of gifts. Food at a potluck isn't a gift.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:31 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
At least at potlucks I've attended, the lids are removed so people can get the food in the container. Most people wouldn't see it. People I know wouldn't really care how much it cost.
That last sentence says it all

Old 10-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
For an evening at someone's home I think they are tacky as hell. I don't require my dinner guests to bring food.

I went to a potluck pool party one time and the "hostess" wanted everyone to bring two side dishes, their own beverages, and their own folding tables and chairs to sit in. She said "I'm providing the meat!" Tacky woman wanted to have a party but make all her guests pay for it and do the work.
In my social circle, we have some people who always host. One couple always hosts new year's eve, one couple always hosts Halloween, one couple always hosts Octoberfest.

They clean their house and make it ready for company, and all the guests bring the food and beer/wine/other drinks.

It works. And it's such a very good time that everyone looks forward to. And kudos to the couples who are always so happy to host and so welcoming. Not everyone has a home that can accommodate a lot of people comfortably.

And everyone looks forward to seeing that largish grouping of people, if only once a year.

In other situations, where hosting is spread around, yes, the host prepares the food and drinks.

The times they are a'changin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships