Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 PM

256 posts, read 140,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
for the boys in your driveway.... place a motion detector with the loud sound of a machine gun..... that goes off..

on the next full moon....go out back and start howling...… people will back off ...if they think you are crazy or a witch ….
Finally, someone comes in with some jocularity! Well sorta, I love the sound of a machine gun but these days it is not PC to make those kind of analogies.

If the dog comes back and pees on the carpet - you should have a Vietnamese recipe for dog handy..( see even that would offend a whole culture and most pet owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 04:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2dathird View Post
Finally, someone comes in with some jocularity! Well sorta, I love the sound of a machine gun but these days it is not PC to make those kind of analogies.

If the dog comes back and pees on the carpet - you should have a Vietnamese recipe for dog handy..( see even that would offend a whole culture and most pet owners.
This reminds me of what my son told me after he ate some dog in Korea. (Yes, he really did do this and yes, they really do kill and eat dogs in Korea.)

He said "Mom, you know how dog breath smells? Well,I guess it smells that way because THEY smell that way - I mean,their meat smells that way. Dog meat tastes like dog breath smells."

AUGH!!!!!!!

Old 10-30-2019, 08:00 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,326,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
WorldKlas brought up all the issues I first thought of - injury, insurance, trespassing, etc. I would also confiscate any items left on my property and I like requiring the parents to come by so they know your property is not the neighborhood play area.

I just really think the parents are so bizarre to raise their children to think it's okay to trespass. And the dog behavior! Unbelievable.
Welcome to today - where a kid can’t do anything wrong from their point of view as conditioned by their “modern” parents.
No respect for neighbors, their property, the elderly, etc.
Unfortunately, the younger generation of parents themselves were raised that way
What can you expect of kids today then?
One of the neighbors here got upset and stopped greeting another much older neighbor when he requested that her 7 y.o daughter would address him as Mr. Smith instead of saying “Hi, John!”.
Imagine that!
I am seeing even older “kids”- already adults in a workforce- with the same attitudes.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Wow! I always taught my kids that the ESSENCE of good manners and etiquette was to make the other person feel comfortable. For instance, if a person was more comfortable being called "Mr. Smith" then for goodness sakes call him that.

My kids grew up in a military family so we knew people and had people as neighbors from all over the world, literally. Some people preferred to be called "Mrs. Smith." Some people preferred to be called "Mary." Some people preferred to be called "Miss Mary." OK. When I taught my kids their manners, I always said "Default to Mr or Mrs So and So but remember - the key is for the OTHER person to feel comfortable, so if they ask you to call them something else, do it." Interestingly enough, my kids never got confused on that.

Some homes, you take your shoes off. Others - you don't. Look for visual clues (a pile of shoes or a shoe rack by a front door for instance, or the fact that your friend doesn't take his or her shoes off) and react accordingly. They can figure it out. It's not rocket science.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:14 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I only read the first page, so some things may have mentioned.

First, I don't think this is an issue of the HOA, this is an issue of a jerk neighbor.

There are ways of communicating such as "you may not have been aware, but HOA needs to approve sheds, in case you haven't already. I have the number if you need it."

I live in an HOA, and I've been on the board, most issues are from crazy neighbors.

Keep a log, and keep the recordings from your Nest (don't know if there is storage/download) capability.

Kids be kids, I'm sure you'll have that under control.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-30-2019, 08:26 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK so about a month ago, we moved into a new neighborhood. It's what I'd call an upscale, upper middle class suburban neighborhood.

We were a little surprised to find out that out of 50 homes, there are 74 school aged kids living in this gated community! KIDS EVERYWHERE. Most of the households seem to be dual income professionals. In fact, come to find out that we are one of only THREE families out here who are over 50. Now - I'm fine with that and I LOVE kids. So that wasn't a drawback to us at all.

So - the first weird thing that happened was that the first week we lived here, I took the trashcan out to the curb and well - let me tell you what happened. We have a narrow strip of property between our driveway and our next door neighbor's lot - about six feet. These are big, spacious lots so the houses aren't right up next to each other, but our driveway is over pretty far so there's just about six feet between our property line and the neighbors. So anyway, I noted that on Tuesdays, everyone puts their trash can out by their driveway but on the other side of the curb in the street (barely). I rolled mine out there and made sure it was within our property line and not overflowing or anything like that. Imagine my surprise the next morning when I found our trash can, still full, sitting in the MIDDLE of our front yard. Not on the other side of the driveway, not by the curb, but rolled up haphazardly in the middle of our yard. Weird.

There was no telling who did it, so I just rolled it to the OTHER side of the driveway and sure enough, a few minutes later the trash truck came and emptied it and I just rolled it back inside the fence. Strange but whatever.

Then the neighbors came over and introduced themselves a few days later, and there was nothing weird about it to me, but afterwards my husband said, "I don't like that guy. And I think he's taking steroids." This is out of character for my friendly, extroverted husband, to have some sort of immediately negative response to someone. I hadn't been paying any attention to the guy because I was talking with the wife. So what do I know? (At this point, I hadn't mentioned the stupid trash can thing to my husband.) During the conversation, my husband mentioned that we were getting a storage building delivered, and the guy said "WITHOUT GETTING IT APPROVED BY THE HOA? You've got a lot of nerve, man." It's a storage building, not a slaughter house or a party barn. And sure enough, the SECOND - I mean the SECOND - the truck pulled up with the storage building, we got a call from the HOA president saying "A little bird told me that there's a storage building parked in front of your house." Actually, it wasn't in front of our house - it was (very temporarily) in front of THE NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE, so no one other than the neighbors would assume it was for us - they'd think - if they noticed it at all - that it was the neighbor's storage building. So I'm pretty sure it was our neighbors who called the HOA about it. (That's another topic for another day but it's working out.)

Anyway, about the same time, I realized that their dog can get out of their back yard. How did I find this out? Because any time their dog was in the back yard and I came home and opened my garage, the dog would suddenly appear, and start spazzing out running all over my garage and driveway, and one time it even ran INTO MY HOUSE AND PEED ON MY CARPET! OK that's getting crunk in my book.

OK - so far, still trying to keep peace with the neighbors and just be friendly and stay out of their hair. But the other day we got security cameras - a Nest system - installed at our house and we get notifications whenever there's someone in our driveway, or back yard, or at the front door or side yards, etc. Only on our property - which is our right. Well, every single day, their boys come over to our yard and play in our yard. I'm talking about for several hours. I had heard them in the past but I just figured they were playing in THEIR yard - nope, they are in our yard. Our driveway slopes down a little and theirs doesn't - so now the boys have started bringing skateboards over and skating down OUR DRIVEWAY - and yelling and carrying on. They've also started playing football in our front yard. Honestly. What the heck is that about? And for the past two or three days they have left footballs, or skateboards, or both, in our yard. That's weird enough already but on top of that, now my security cameras are going off over and over again, blowing up my phone, because I get an alert every time someone is in my yard. And I'm not going to turn off my cameras. They need to quit coming in my yard. "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Oh, and they have a two story play house in their back yard. So they can see down into our back yard. OK. But don't sit up there and TALK TO ME. Don't just sit up there and watch me either. Sheeze. They do both.

One good thing about the security cameras though - if the trash can gets moved again, I'll have it on video. And tonight, for the first time, I took the trash can out there and carefully placed it within our property line but on the side of the driveway close to their property line. Within the line of vision of the camera.

This should be interesting.

I think my plan is this. 1) First of all, I am going to go out there tomorrow - because I'm sure they'll be playing out there tomorrow - and I'm going to tell these school aged boys (they aren't toddlers - they are between the ages of 9 and 14) to please quit playing in my yard and driveway. Pretty sure they will just ignore that. So the next day I am going to go talk to their mom and tell her "I've already asked your boys but for some reason they have ignored this so I'm going to ask you - tell them to please stay off our property because whenever they come on it, I start getting all sorts of notifications on my phone." That's part of it but also - I don't want them getting hurt on my property. But I'm not going to tell her that because I don't want to give them any ideas. I don't HAVE to give them ANY reason other than I just don't want them on my property.

And if I see any of them moving my trash can I am going to call them out about that. But first, I'm going to say over the speaker - "HEY. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" That should get their attention.

Any other suggestions?
well part of ;living in a subdivision with a HOA is that you agreed to follow all their rules and regulations.The HOA has legal authority over its residents and their property rights.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:34 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
well part of ;living in a subdivision with a HOA is that you agreed to follow all their rules and regulations.The HOA has legal authority over its residents and their property rights.
Sure.

But LET the HOA take care of it. The neighbors haven't been deputized.

Or just be a reasonable human being, just let Karen and her hubby know if they may be breaking one of the rules as a friendly neighbor.

My gawd, is it so hard?

Well, apparently....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-30-2019, 08:36 PM

993 posts, read 767,353 times
There are lots of issues here. But I gasped when you said these kids were skateboarding on your sloping driveway. Noise and nuisance aside, that could be a nasty lawsuit in the making if those kids get hurt. My husband was in the insurance business for 40 years so I’m a little sensitive to potential liability problems. I saw nightmare lawsuits.

Particularly from the way you’ve described the neighbors, they might be apt to quickly call your insurance company and file a claim if a child was injured. I’m not saying they’d have a case, but do you want that stress? Just....no, no, no. You’ve got to talk to them. It would be one thing if they were skateboarding with your kids, but this is different. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This reminds me of what my son told me after he ate some dog in Korea. (Yes, he really did do this and yes, they really do kill and eat dogs in Korea.)

He said "Mom, you know how dog breath smells? Well,I guess it smells that way because THEY smell that way - I mean,their meat smells that way. Dog meat tastes like dog breath smells."

AUGH!!!!!!!
Omg....

Old 10-30-2019, 09:20 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
You probably can't post "No Trespassing" signs on your property, but for liability reasons, if you tell the parents to keep the kids out of your yard, and they continue, then escalate and send them a certified letter to cover your butt in case anyone gets hurt (of course your neighbors will then hate you!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships