Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 01:31 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,642,353 times

Advertisements

I shouldn't think you would have to justify to anyone why you don't want kids playing on your private property or the dog inviting himself over whenever he wants. It isn't even a matter of liking or not liking kids and dogs. They are disrespecting someone else's property and this is something that they should have been taught not to do by their parents.

If after tonight, Halloween trick-or-treating, etc., they still come on your property and leave toys, I know you will more than likely have a word with their parents. (and get that motion-activated sprinkler ready!). I would keep the toys until their parents came to claim them. When people are inconsiderate, it may take something like this to make them aware of that fact.

I wonder how the posters who claim it is just "normal and kids will be kids," would react if they were in this situation. Would they be so quick to shrug it off if a dog peed on their carpeting, had the neighbors' kids leave toys strewn around their property, and be happy to "enjoy" a bunch of shrieking kids on said property? I'll be they wouldn't. Do what is best for you: you are not overreacting in any way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 02:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I shouldn't think you would have to justify to anyone why you don't want kids playing on your private property or the dog inviting himself over whenever he wants. It isn't even a matter of liking or not liking kids and dogs. They are disrespecting someone else's property and this is something that they should have been taught not to do by their parents.

If after tonight, Halloween trick-or-treating, etc., they still come on your property and leave toys, I know you will more than likely have a word with their parents. (and get that motion-activated sprinkler ready!). I would keep the toys until their parents came to claim them. When people are inconsiderate, it may take something like this to make them aware of that fact.

I wonder how the posters who claim it is just "normal and kids will be kids," would react if they were in this situation. Would they be so quick to shrug it off if a dog peed on their carpeting, had the neighbors' kids leave toys strewn around their property, and be happy to "enjoy" a bunch of shrieking kids on said property? I'll be they wouldn't. Do what is best for you: you are not overreacting in any way.
You sound so reasonable - thank you!

Yes, I am going to tell the boys to please stay off my property, and if that doesn't work, I'll talk with the parents. AND I am going to turn on the sprinkler if I have to (for sure and immediately if someone starts sneaking around with my trash can - LOL).

Old 10-31-2019, 02:59 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Why would older people want to move into a single family house, with a large yard to maintain and kids everywhere? The house next to us is for sale and I am amazed at home many old people come look at it. The previous neighbor was in her early 60’s and it was too much for her to take care of. We have dump truck loads of leaves to clear... I don’t get it.

But you want to talk weird neighbors... I took a picture of one of our neighbors sitting in the dirt of his flower bed while reading a newspaper.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:37 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Re: dog getting out and running to you when you get home. Mention to neighbor dog knows how to get out, and you’re OH SO WORRIED you might accidentally run over him while parking your car. And you love dogs and you’d hate that to happen. (No lying required!)

Old 10-31-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why would older people want to move into a single family house, with a large yard to maintain and kids everywhere? The house next to us is for sale and I am amazed at home many old people come look at it. The previous neighbor was in her early 60’s and it was too much for her to take care of. We have dump truck loads of leaves to clear... I don’t get it.

But you want to talk weird neighbors... I took a picture of one of our neighbors sitting in the dirt of his flower bed while reading a newspaper.
1) We're not old.

2) I love yard work and in fact am about to take more gardening classes.

3) I like living in a single family house and I prefer a neighborhood that has families, vs one with more "old people." I just don't want kids playing loudly in my driveway and yard for hours (and I especially don't want the liability and they're out there playing on skateboards and scooters and with footballs so honestly, it's just a matter of time till someone gets hurt) and I don't want someone else's dog (or any dog) peeing on my carpet. And I would have felt the same way at age 25 or 35 - or 45.

4) My neighbors won't have to clean up after me.

But thanks for the visual regarding your neighbor - after reading some of the stories on this thread, my neighbors sound like darlings! LOL

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-31-2019 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-31-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Re: dog getting out and running to you when you get home. Mention to neighbor dog knows how to get out, and you’re OH SO WORRIED you might accidentally run over him while parking your car. And you love dogs and you’d hate that to happen. (No lying required!)
That IS the truth and the last time he got out and was running all around in my yard and driveway (a couple of days ago) I did tell her exactly that. Haven't seen him since.

Honestly, maybe all of this has died down some. I hope so.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:44 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

You don't need to get it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-31-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You don't need to get it.

I was going to say something like that but I refrained.

My husband and I are active and healthy and are not OLD. But even if we were - we have the financial ability to pay for someone else to keep up our yard. Heck, to clean our house if necessary. And we WOULD do that if we couldn't maintain this SINGLE STORY comfortable home ourselves.

My gosh, we're not 80. We are in our fifties. Some of our friends our age still have small children living at home! Not that I'd want that but still...

Old 10-31-2019, 04:43 PM

When my grandmother was in her fifties she climbed Mt. Fuji. My great uncle Joy was still flying his private plane when he was nearly 100 years old (not that anyone else would ride with him but still...). My dad was felled by a stroke while he was training to be a body guard - at age 78. OK, so maybe that was too strenuous but he was very active up to that point! LOL

Old 10-31-2019, 07:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
We live in a typical subdivision in Fort Worth. Probably the oldest couple here. I feel very much out of place with all the young families living here. I had to set some kids straight about riding their bikes and playing ball in my driveway. They were respectful and never again trespassed.

And this is why we are moving to an island, accessible only by ferry. With 1100 people. Average age 64. My only neighbor is a retired teacher and his wife.

Deer, raccoons, possums mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships