Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 07:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I wonder if your HOA allows fencing. If so, it might be worth the investment.
Yes, it allows fencing but not in the front yard. We have a privacy fence in the back yard. Sigh.

The HOA isn't particularly onerous and basically I'm OK with it so far. It's the neighbors who are wearing me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
It kinda sounds like you didn't do your homework on your new neighborhood. But hey, we all learn more once we actually move in.

Regardless, I agree with BirdieBelle that they don't know you yet. But the first things you did were violate the HOA and install security cameras. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but you can see how somebody might have their guard up, right?

It doesn't matter who called HOA; they would have found out anyway. If the dog issue is a regular thing, you can definitely mention it or even report it if needed, because I'm fairly sure y'all have leash laws.
Well, I didn't do a credit check or whatever on all the neighbors - I did get a copy of the HOA bylaws and talked to several people before moving out there though. Not sure what else we could have done. We knew there were a lot of kids out here but we were surprised at just how many there were though!

I'm not worried about the HOA by the way. I spoke with the HOA president before we got the storage building and he said don't worry about it. My husband and I also spoke with him again the other day (after the storage building call) and he seems fine - I think all that is going to be fine. It was just the neighbor's response that irked me - as if we are some sort of trashy "violators" who are going to mess up their neighborhood or something, who knows? I don't appreciate being policed by them. We aren't negatively impacting their property in any way.

I am not even sure they know about the security cameras. It's just a Nest system - they are very common around here. In fact, the previous owners had them as well - they just took the system with them when they moved, as we did. It's just part of a Smart Home system which includes stuff like thermostats, lights, doorbells, etc.

And no, I really don't see why they would "have their guard up." I didn't say all this, but I will now - the wife recently had surgery, and we bought a big tray of sandwiches and chips (because that's what boys typically like) and delivered them to their house. She was still at the hospital (day surgery) but the mother in law was there helping. She seemed nice enough. Anyway, I didn't hear anything for DAYS about the food, and then yesterday, before the boys started playing in the yard so loudly, I messaged the wife (first time I've done that) to see how she was doing since her surgery was nearly a week ago, and she immediately responded and said "I meant to tell you thank you for the food." OK. You're welcome. I mean, it's nice to know that they actually got the food. But my point is that I don't think they have any real reason to have their guard up about us. We're not weird. We're not loud. We're not trashing the property. We're not anti social or overly social for that matter. We don't have loud kids or roaming dogs and we're not letting our yard get messy or overgrown or whatever. We don't throw loud parties. We don't even have any sort of negative reputation that I'm aware of! I can't imagine what their problem is.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:47 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
This is why I have a hard time pulling the trigger on buying a house. You never know who you are going to end up next to. I'd definitely set some boundaries fast. Be nice and polite about it for now. Just kindly ask them if they could play on their own lawn. If it continues then you don't have to be so nice.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:54 AM

329 posts, read 512,320 times
I bet everybody in your neighborhood parks their cars in the driveway and on the street because they hoard too much stuff in their garage.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:56 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
Maybe they are just suspicious or guarded by nature? I'm not suggesting that you have done anything to put them off. Some people just take longer to warm up than others.

I would hate for some initial misunderstandings or confusion to spoil a friendship before it even gets off the ground.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:07 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default Sorry to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
…

I would have lost it if their dog got in my house. You need to get a handle on this right away ... but expect a lot of passive/aggressive reactions.

Yes, they messed with your trashcan and called the HOA on you.
Yah, the dog's a problem. If he's allowed loose & winds up in your yard, garage, house - & leaves little calling cards. You can try talking to the owners - if there's no joy there, you get to decide whether to escalate.

We're on acreage, no fences. Our little Benji-looking dog is always on a leash, & we'd walk him to do his stuff. The neighbors had a big German shepherd - but he was young, too friendly. He'd want to play with our dog (I assume), who is older & shied away. So our dog wouldn't do his stuff, & began to do his stuff in the house - unacceptable. So I took to carrying a cane - I never had to hit the other dog, & he seemed to understand that you don't rush someone with a stick in his hands.

See who has authority to pick up strays - Animal Control, the Sheriff's office. You can start documenting their dog on your property - & especially in your house. Push comes to shove, you can talk to a vet & see if a trank gun is a possibility. If the neighbors have to bail their dog out of the pound a couple of times, they might take the hint.

Hope it works out for you.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:19 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:

I would hate for some initial misunderstandings or confusion to spoil a friendship before it even gets off the ground.
They don’t have to be friends.

They can just be respectful neighbors who keep their stuff and their kid and animal charges on their own property.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Maybe they are just suspicious or guarded by nature? I'm not suggesting that you have done anything to put them off. Some people just take longer to warm up than others.

I agree. It's just really starting to pile up and I'm thinking "What the heck? I didn't eat your sack lunch!" It also seems really passive/aggressive to me because to my face they are sweet as peaches. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Old 10-29-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
I bet everybody in your neighborhood parks their cars in the driveway and on the street because they hoard too much stuff in their garage.
LOL I'm sure, according to the HOA president anyway, there are plenty of "unapproved" storage buildings out here. But I do see a lot of cars parked in driveways (not so much on the street). I have a feeling there are some pretty full garages in the neighborhood!

Old 10-29-2019, 08:30 AM

330 posts, read 178,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree. It's just really starting to pile up and I'm thinking "What the heck? I didn't eat your sack lunch!" It also seems really passive/aggressive to me because to my face they are sweet as peaches. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
I think you and I have different definitions of 'crunk.'

My wife is taking me out tonight for my birthday and I will have a good time getting crunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships