Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 11:26 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you need to create some "invisible boundaries." There are Feng Shui tips for this kind of thing, or you could do other metaphysically oriented "cures."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 12:07 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
The dog. I wouldn't have liked that at all. Not the dog's fault. He probably wanted to mark his spot ...maybe on where a dog that lived there a while ago, or maybe just to claim his own fresh territory. How did you find out whose dog it was? Did it leave quickly and head home? I would have billed the neighbor for carpet cleaning. Not that they'd pay. You could tell a neighbor the story and say next time you're calling the pound...that will get around.

The kids. Hmmm. No pound for kids. I will say kids can go wild because of emotions when a parent is ill...just fyi.

Otherwise, toys. Yep, round them up. (You can't round up kids and keep them in the garage.) You might arrange to not be available to answer the door when neighbors come to complain (so kids have to wait longer to get them back). Eventually...yes, the idea on insurance, etc.

How about a movie night. Contests...winner gets some toy you found in your yard.

The movie...can you arrange some sort of larger screen presentation with nest's pictures. Show movies of what nest is showing.

This will probably all scare the neighbors into more neighborly, or at least more careful, behavior.

Last edited by petsandgardens; 10-29-2019 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 12:24 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hence, why I hate HOAs. At minimum. Good luck.

There was a reason your place was for sale. Might want to start looking for another home. I don't see this one working out. Might as well get out asap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
They sound like the type of a-holes who think their property is their property and your property is their property. They may want your property empty so they have more space.

It may get ugly. Good luck.

I would have lost it if their dog got in my house. You need to get a handle on this right away ... but expect a lot of passive/aggressive reactions.

Yes, they messed with your trashcan and called the HOA on you.
Yes, your neighbors are creeps. And control freaks.

I'd have collared the dog and called Animal Control. That would have PO'd your creepy neighbors anyway, but anti socials will find any reason, valid or invalid, to dislike someone.

Are security cams something you need permission to put up? One more strike vs. HOA.

We lived in ONE, never ever ever again.

And has your husband explained why he thought that guy was on 'roids? Because 'roid abusers or overusers are unpredictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I agree; you need to set boundaries and soon.

The dog in the house, too much! And I’m a dog lover, but keep your dog under control. Same for the kids. Keep them under control and allowing to play on someone else’s property without their permission is wrong.

The trash can thing is very odd.. why would anyone do that?!

I lived in an HOA community and loved it! However, we had one neighbor who thought she was in charge of the whole place. She was a snowbird so thankfully we only had to put up with her for 6 mths out of the year. I’m sure you got a copy of your bylaws so you already know/knew your storage building would be a problem. Just be prepared for future calls about the stupidest things.

At least now you have cameras that will capture a lot more than your neighbors bargained for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You had me at HOA.
Yup.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:43 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It sounds like you need to create some "invisible boundaries." There are Feng Shui tips for this kind of thing, or you could do other metaphysically oriented "cures."
She needs more than invisible boundaries ( they only work for dogs) ) and burning sage.

Feng Shui will not replace a good ole face to face chat and that’s what needs to happen.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:13 PM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Trespassing is illegal. You have proof of chronic trespassing taking place. If the boys or the parents won't honor your request, that the boys stay on their side of the property line, you can get the police involved.

More than a few kids these days for some reason seem to think they have the right to use their neighbors' yards as their own. I don't know where this mentality came from. And some parents actually back them up, by not observing the law or honoring the neighbors' request to keep their kids off neighboring properties. Sometimes, the parents even get angry with the neighbors, who complain about the trespassing. The world has changed in this regard; go figure. I don't understand it.

But the police do. And you have plenty of proof. Let us know how the issue turns out.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Y'all. The issue isn't really about the HOA. The issue is weirdness with my next door neighbors.

I mean, the HOA stuff is workable - we're not planning on putting a slaughterhouse or a chicken coop in the back yard. It's the kids in the driveway and front yard for hours, the trashcan weirdness, and the dog running in and peeing on my rug that are the issues.

I've lived in HOA neighborhoods for decades - if you want common areas and entrance ways that look nice, lighting at the entrance(s), etc. someone has to pay for those things, so the type of HOA that I'm comfortable with charges a fee like once a year - not monthly fees and all sorts of assessments, that sort of thing. I'm fine with that. Minimum and maximum square footage, types of fences allowed, all that sort of thing I get and I'm fine with.

Neighbor dogs running into my house and peeing on my rug - not fine with that - or my phone blowing up with notifications because kids have decided I have a great yard and driveway for them to hang out in. Or someone sneaking over and moving my trash can into the middle of my front yard. Hey. "GET OFF MY LAWN!" (shakes cane)

Old 10-29-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Trespassing is illegal. You have proof of chronic trespassing taking place. If the boys or the parents won't honor your request, that the boys stay on their side of the property line, you can get the police involved.

More than a few kids these days for some reason seem to think they have the right to use their neighbors' yards as their own. I don't know where this mentality came from. And some parents actually back them up, by not observing the law or honoring the neighbors' request to keep their kids off neighboring properties. Sometimes, the parents even get angry with the neighbors, who complain about the trespassing. The world has changed in this regard; go figure. I don't understand it.

But the police do. And you have plenty of proof. Let us know how the issue turns out.
Thank you - and I will for sure. ROUND ONE COMMENCES TODAY! lol

I can report positive news so far today though - no one moved my trash can. Maybe they realize that I have cameras. Like nearly everyone else in this neighborhood.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
The dog. I wouldn't have liked that at all. Not the dog's fault. He probably wanted to mark his spot ...maybe on where a dog that lived there a while ago, or maybe just to claim his own fresh territory. How did you find out whose dog it was? Did it leave quickly and head home? I would have billed the neighbor for carpet cleaning. Not that they'd pay. You could tell a neighbor the story and say next time you're calling the pound...that will get around.

The kids. Hmmm. No pound for kids. I will say kids can go wild because of emotions when a parent is ill...just fyi.

Otherwise, toys. Yep, round them up. (You can't round up kids and keep them in the garage.) You might arrange to not be available to answer the door when neighbors come to complain (so kids have to wait longer to get them back). Eventually...yes, the idea on insurance, etc.

How about a movie night. Contests...winner gets some toy you found in your yard.

The movie...can you arrange some sort of larger screen presentation with nest's pictures. Show movies of what nest is showing.

This will probably all scare the neighbors into more neighborly, or at least more careful, behavior.

Haha! Movie night - that would be interesting!

Back to the dog - here's what happened. I came home, opened my garage door and then the door into my house because I was carrying things in from the car. Lo and behold, this dog comes running from who knows where, and just runs straight into my house and I immediately thought, "WHOEVER HE IS, HE'S GOING IN THERE TO PEE!" (I love dogs and know they will do this sort of thing!) So I immediately dropped what I was carrying and ran in after him and caught him just as he lifted his leg on my Amish dining room chair, and began spraying pee on my rug! So I yelled, "HEY, STOP IT!" and he immediately stopped and just spazzed out running all around in my living room and then found his way out and ran back out the back door! So I followed him out to be sure he got the heck out of my garage and yard, and that's when the neighbor showed up looking for him. She said "Did my dog come in your yard?" and I said, "In my yard and in my house!" but since she was standing there bent over in pain with a grimace on her face holding her stomach, I really didn't have the heart to say "And he peed on my rug too," though in retrospect I probably should have told her that.

I just thought it was odd, looking back on it, that both times her crazy dog has come running over here running around in my garage (now I know to close the door to the house immediately) and my yard and all that, she has IMMEDIATELY come out to collect him. And yet she lets her loud, crazy kids scream and holler in my yard for hours on end.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:43 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
What a messy situation. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:55 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
She needs more than invisible boundaries ( they only work for dogs) ) and burning sage.

Feng Shui will not replace a good ole face to face chat and that’s what needs to happen.
Agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships