Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 01:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Aloha!

Y'all - it's ONE NEIGHBOR from what I can tell. Who just happens to live next door. And yes, we did drive around, talk to people, call the HOA president and talk with him, etc. before we bought the house. No - no one warned us about these oddities that seem to stem from one neighbor.

No, the home wasn't empty when we went under contract so I think this is a new development.

It's a youngish neighborhood, but we moved from an "oldish" neighborhood and we didn't particularly care to have so many older neighbors. We don't feel old - LOL. Oh and I did find out that yet another neighbor has moved in recently - they are both in their 50s too with no kids.

I'm ranting about it but I don't think it's that big of a deal actually - I just am surprised at the behavior. But believe me, I can get it under control - I think! Between the talks, sprinklers, and prickly plants (if necessary), I probably won't have to deal with kids in my driveway much longer. And I just am not going to put up with someone else's dog in my house, but I really don't care if it gets out and runs around the neighborhood.

The trash can thing - oh, I've got a plan for that. It might involve sprinklers too, now that I'm thinking about it! LOL
You're enjoying this way too much.

Purposefully escalating doesn't usually end well, unless you thrive on drama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 01:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
It will all work out - it's just that I really hate bringing up children's behaviors with parents, who are so often SO unreasonable. Ugh. Throw dogs in there too - dog parents can be unreasonable too.
You haven't even brought up any of your issues with these neighbors, but you've already built it up in your head that they're "SO unreasonable"?! Go talk to them, have a nice neighborly conversation before things get worse.

Quote:
The trash can thing - oh, I've got a plan for that. It might involve sprinklers too, now that I'm thinking about it! LOL
It happened one time, weeks ago, and you don't even know the reason behind why it was moved. Why is this even something you are still thinking about?

Old 10-30-2019, 01:33 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times
Personally, I think you are correct for laying down your expectations for your property. Too many people take advantage of the kindness and understanding of others.

I've had run-ins with neighbors on both sides of me. I tried to be neighborly in both cases, and they failed to correct the problem so I had no choice but to get the HOA and city code enforcement involved.

One example was our neighbors to the right of us... in summer 2017 they got a bee infestation in their bay window roof on the side of their house (which faces my office and is about 15 ft from our pool equipment.) I told them about it (twice) and said they need to take care of it before it becomes a real problem. They did nothing for awhile, then eventually they got some of that "Great Stuff" foam sealant, and attempted to fill the hole where the bees were coming/going.

This however, did nothing to kill/remove the bees that were already present. And of course, they found a different way to get in and out. So all that winter, the bees were living in that space, by summer 2018 they had a massive hive inside the house and around 3-4pm in the afternoon, there were so many of them it was like a black cloud between our houses. Not exactly safe for us to use our pool near by, or for our dog to go outside. I told them they needed to get an exterminator, as I couldn't safely maintain our pool equipment, or really even go to parts of our backyard. They called some guy to come out... did very little. At that point I called the city to force them to take care of it. I felt bad about it, but then come to find out... these were KILLER bees. The beekeeper they called to collect them couldn't use them so they had to get an exterminator to come out, cut apart the roof, remove the huge hive, and then hire a roofer to fix the roof.

I don't know what it ended up costing them, but considering it could have been dealt with so much easier if they had properly taken care of their home when I told them about it in the beginning, I hope it was a good lesson learned for them.

My neighbors on the other side of me are worse.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:58 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I have a new found appreciation for my neighbors and neighborhood.

OP, good luck to you and this one neighbor, hopefully you can find some sort of balance and enjoy your new home

Old 10-30-2019, 02:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You're enjoying this way too much.

Purposefully escalating doesn't usually end well, unless you thrive on drama.

Haha! I am not trying to personally escalate anything. I just want my next door neighbors to keep their dogs and kids from running around on my property.

That being said, I do think it's better to be light hearted about it than be all wadded up and anxious - or to have to deal with insurance issues if or when one of their kids gets hurt on my property. I'd rather avoid all that, and I SURE want to avoid having their dog pee on my carpet again.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You haven't even brought up any of your issues with these neighbors, but you've already built it up in your head that they're "SO unreasonable"?! Go talk to them, have a nice neighborly conversation before things get worse.

It happened one time, weeks ago, and you don't even know the reason behind why it was moved. Why is this even something you are still thinking about?
I said that parents CAN be "so unreasonable." I didn't say my neighbors will be unreasonable about their kids - I don't know whether they will be reasonable or not. But I guess I will find out.

As for the trashcan - like I have already said several times, I totally forgot about it till about the day before yesterday. I'm only continuing to "think about it" because of this thread if you really want to know the truth. It's not occupying much of my head space, I can assure you of that.

But I do think it would be sort of funny to turn the sprinklers on if I see someone moving it. Next door neighbors, kids, who knows? Who cares, really. I doubt they'd do it again.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have a new found appreciation for my neighbors and neighborhood.

OP, good luck to you and this one neighbor, hopefully you can find some sort of balance and enjoy your new home
Thank you! I am really enjoying it so far, other than these strange little occurrences. But I'm sure this too shall pass.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:33 PM

49 posts, read 31,182 times
Quote:
Well, I didn't do a credit check or whatever on all the neighbors - I did get a copy of the HOA bylaws and talked to several people before moving out there though. Not sure what else we could have done. We knew there were a lot of kids out here but we were surprised at just how many there were though!

I'm not worried about the HOA by the way. I spoke with the HOA president before we got the storage building and he said don't worry about it. My husband and I also spoke with him again the other day (after the storage building call) and he seems fine - I think all that is going to be fine. It was just the neighbor's response that irked me - as if we are some sort of trashy "violators" who are going to mess up their neighborhood or something, who knows? I don't appreciate being policed by them. We aren't negatively impacting their property in any way.

I am not even sure they know about the security cameras. It's just a Nest system - they are very common around here. In fact, the previous owners had them as well - they just took the system with them when they moved, as we did. It's just part of a Smart Home system which includes stuff like thermostats, lights, doorbells, etc.

And no, I really don't see why they would "have their guard up." I didn't say all this, but I will now - the wife recently had surgery, and we bought a big tray of sandwiches and chips (because that's what boys typically like) and delivered them to their house. She was still at the hospital (day surgery) but the mother in law was there helping. She seemed nice enough. Anyway, I didn't hear anything for DAYS about the food, and then yesterday, before the boys started playing in the yard so loudly, I messaged the wife (first time I've done that) to see how she was doing since her surgery was nearly a week ago, and she immediately responded and said "I meant to tell you thank you for the food." OK. You're welcome. I mean, it's nice to know that they actually got the food. But my point is that I don't think they have any real reason to have their guard up about us. We're not weird. We're not loud. We're not trashing the property. We're not anti social or overly social for that matter. We don't have loud kids or roaming dogs and we're not letting our yard get messy or overgrown or whatever. We don't throw loud parties. We don't even have any sort of negative reputation that I'm aware of! I can't imagine what their problem is.
I hate to say this, but seems like you're the one with the issues, mostly because of a seemingly unexplainable trash can incident, which MAY have a plausible explanation that has nothing to do with your neighbors.

HOA communities will always have people who keep an eye out for possible infractions -- did you ascertain for sure that your neighbors were the ones who called the HOA people?

Kids are kids. Talk to the parents. But then you're the crankly old people/childless couplef who moved into what is clearly a growing family neighborhood.

You shoould address the dog issue. Maybe they are unaware the dog can get out, or maybe that happened while the wife was too sick, pre-surgery, to be aware of the issue. Also, post-surgery, she may just not have been up to thanking you promptly for your neighborliness.

Not one thing you've described strikes me as weird at all, sorry.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:39 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
tattling about the storage building is classic HOA resident.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:48 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times
Quote:

We knew there were a lot of kids out here but we were surprised at just how many there were though!
When my boys were little we moved to a very family friendly "city" that was managed by a sometimes pain in the neck HOA. For the most part we liked it, but oh boy were there kids everywhere! We used to joke to visiting friends and family that it was in the HOA rules that in order to purchase a home there we had to have at least one child or one on the way! I'd say it with a straight face and they'd believe me before I told them I was kidding.

The other by product of living where there are a ton of kids are that they're everywhere in the restaurants, the grocery stores etc. All the places where they don't want to behave!

Anyway, we moved away from there and now prefer neighborhoods with less... very less... tots and none would be fine cause I'm so over it! Lol! You know how if someone can turn allergic to certain foods due to overexposure? I'm allergic to high pitched screeching!

It's official! I'm an old fogey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships