Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Being neat represents discipline, order, and stability. When I hear about messy people, I think of their lives as messy in some way, and I'm usually right.
This is only partially true - one needs to look at the particular mess.

For example, I am a fairly high achiever and my desk, tools and other such things are not organized to any degree. I read the same was true of JFK.

But I clean our toilets and bathrooms and sinks well.

My memory is such that I don't lose things. I can have 600 different tools and supplies and I know where 598 of them are at a moments notice. I have always been this way and it never cost me a penny....in fact, I'd argue the opposite.

There is a center line between being obsessive and being free form. It often depends on the personality involved. I succeeded in business and never had a "business plan" or used an accounting program. I still serve as a business mentor to many others and will shy away from any organized attempt to help them. Flexibility and putting energy where it is needed is the key.

In any case, I'm qualifying what a "mess" is. I'll throw my dunkin-donuts empty bag on the floor of my car rear seat (which has rubber mats). But I will not leave food out in the kitchen or allow the floor to get sticky......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 09:38 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Are dirty, homeless people bad people? No, they are homeless and don't have access to showers and clean clothes.

This doesn't NOT make them bad people automatically. Some can be bad to the bone, but most are not.

A messy house is just a sign of laziness or the person is incapable (for whatever reason) to keep it clean.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:39 PM

7,048 posts, read 6,300,442 times
It's time for our six month apartment inspection and I'm looking around my apartment, which is messy at the moment. Not terribly but I will have to put effort into it. When I do any deep cleaning, because of my back problems I have to take ibuprofen before and after and pretty much lay in bed the next day.

It's just the way life is since the car accident and back surgery.

Normally I keep my apartment picked up, it's the periodic deep cleaning; the oven, refrigerator, scrubbing rather than mopping floors and whatever else I feel I have to do, that kills my back. So I'm mentally preparing for it now and pretty thankful I've mostly kept on top of things.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:45 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's time for our six month apartment inspection and I'm looking around my apartment, which is messy at the moment. Not terribly but I will have to put effort into it. When I do any deep cleaning, because of my back problems I have to take ibuprofen before and after and pretty much lay in bed the next day.

It's just the way life is since the car accident and back surgery.

Normally I keep my apartment picked up, it's the periodic deep cleaning; the oven, refrigerator, scrubbing rather than mopping floors and whatever else I feel I have to do, that kills my back. So I'm mentally preparing for it now and pretty thankful I've mostly kept on top of things.
Maybe you could hire it out 2x a year?

Old 11-06-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Maybe you could hire it out 2x a year?
You know, I should but, they just finished the inspection and the things I paid a lot of attention to, stove, refrigerator, microwave, and general kitchen were the only things they looked at. Guess I could have skipped the rest, lol.

Oh well, it's done for another six months and since I don't plan on staying I'll make sure it's left in good shape before I move on.

I felt kind of sorry for the trio. They have to inspect 4 buildings in 2 days. Each building has 4 floors and 6 apartments to each floor.

The crew consisted of the office person, the maintenance person and the housekeeping person. It took about five minutes told and that's all that was looked at was the kitchen. The long list of things they were going to inspect was not done.

That's fine but, every place I've ever lived in, the smoke detectors were set off to make sure they worked and that was not done. I find that strange.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:13 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
I didn't read all 12 pages, but what does "horrible person" mean to you? Since you live alone and you personally don't care, then that's fine. The problem becomes when other people come to your house and judges you for it. If you care about their judgment, then try to clean up. If you don't, then continue to live your way.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:01 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
I keep my kitchen and bathroom clean. The rest is untidy (due to lack of storage space), and somewhat dusty. I am allergic to dust, and always experience itching and upper respiratory symptoms for a day or two after stirring up the dust while cleaning. I literally have to "gown-up" to dust, so I just don't do it very often. I would not care to know anyone who thinks that makes me a bad person.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:02 PM

554 posts, read 623,415 times
I do not think a person with a messy house is a bad person. They are just messy.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:55 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
You know, I should but, they just finished the inspection and the things I paid a lot of attention to, stove, refrigerator, microwave, and general kitchen were the only things they looked at. Guess I could have skipped the rest, lol.

Oh well, it's done for another six months and since I don't plan on staying I'll make sure it's left in good shape before I move on.

I felt kind of sorry for the trio. They have to inspect 4 buildings in 2 days. Each building has 4 floors and 6 apartments to each floor.

The crew consisted of the office person, the maintenance person and the housekeeping person. It took about five minutes told and that's all that was looked at was the kitchen. The long list of things they were going to inspect was not done.

That's fine but, every place I've ever lived in, the smoke detectors were set off to make sure they worked and that was not done. I find that strange.
Not to go off topic, but you have brought up something that I can't get used to - and think it's weird. I've lived in many states around this country, many different buildings, and not once, until I moved to CA (not even WA state did this so it's not a "west coast" thing), did anyone ever come in annually or bi-annually to snoop around (that's what I call it) because apparently we aren't smart enough to maintain our own smoke detectors.

What is this? It feels extremely intrusive. Like I said, I've never experienced this before, and considering how much I move around, (I'm getting ready to move again by the end of the month, for example), it's not normal. I find it insulting. I'm sure there's some law, but that doesn't make it any less insulting. Oh, and do you also have the issue where when you go to look at apartments, the fridge is "optional"? They may rent to you without one? What is that?!

Anyway, to stay on topic, I feel you on the back pain and cleaning, and the need for the Ibuprofen afterwards and being down for the rest of the day, and partially into the next day (for me). I didn't have back surgery, but it was the same cause: car accident. A long time ago. I can do basic things, but scrubbing the house clean shouldn't put a person down like that - yet it does. Unfortunately.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not to go off topic, but you have brought up something that I can't get used to - and think it's weird. I've lived in many states around this country, many different buildings, and not once, until I moved to CA (not even WA state did this so it's not a "west coast" thing), did anyone ever come in annually or bi-annually to snoop around (that's what I call it) because apparently we aren't smart enough to maintain our own smoke detectors.

What is this? It feels extremely intrusive. Like I said, I've never experienced this before, and considering how much I move around, (I'm getting ready to move again by the end of the month, for example), it's not normal. I find it insulting. I'm sure there's some law, but that doesn't make it any less insulting. Oh, and do you also have the issue where when you go to look at apartments, the fridge is "optional"? They may rent to you without one? What is that?!

Anyway, to stay on topic, I feel you on the back pain and cleaning, and the need for the Ibuprofen afterwards and being down for the rest of the day, and partially into the next day (for me). I didn't have back surgery, but it was the same cause: car accident. A long time ago. I can do basic things, but scrubbing the house clean shouldn't put a person down like that - yet it does. Unfortunately.
You brought up a good point. I never actually had inspections until I moved into a senior building. That was in St Paul, Minnesota. Personally I think it was bogus and the managers were just snoopy but I had nothing to hide so didn't care.

It didn't happen again until I moved here and my first apartment was a HUD complex and this complex is section 8. I think it could be more federally mandated but not sure.

As for no refrigerator, I have never heard of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships