Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 01:50 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you live alone and you don't care how it looks or how many dust bunnies are mating in the corners...

If you haven't cleaned your shower in a decade or more...

If people shudder when they look inside your fridge... Well, maybe they should stay out of your fridge. But I'm just saying...

Does that mean you're a person of poor character? Let's say you love kittens and puppies and donate to animal causes, are you still a reprobate because your home doesn't pass the white glove test?

I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?
No, it doesn’t make you a bad person, but it might make you a lonely person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 01:56 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
This.

People all have different priorities. Some need tidy surroundings to feel comfortable, others don't care about dust and clutter. Still others have mental illnesses that make it very challenging to keep a clean house (e.g., hoarders).
Or a mental illness that makes it challenging not to clean.
My mom and sister were a bit OCD when it came to cleaning. All the condiments in my sisters fridge had to be turned a certain way, grouped a certain way and on a certain shelf, she knew every cup and fork and if one was not where it should be, my sister ironed underwear, you could literally lick my moms once a week paste waxed and buffed hardwood floors and it would be cleaner than eating off restaurant plates. My mom wasn't so bad by the time I was born because she nearly had a mental breakdown over the cleanliness of her house earlier on.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:59 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,873,466 times
There's spotless housekeeping, spotful housecleaning and spotty housecleaning. The older I get, the more I lean toward spotful. It's "clean". It just isn't always "neat".

Old 10-29-2019, 02:01 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
If you live alone and you don't care how it looks or how many dust bunnies are mating in the corners...

If people shudder when they look inside your fridge... Well, maybe they should stay out of your fridge. But I'm just saying...

Does that mean you're a person of poor character? Let's say you love kittens and puppies and donate to animal causes, are you still a reprobate because your home doesn't pass the white glove test?

I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?
Yes, there is a connection, and it has to do with awareness.

A dirty house is not beautiful or comfortable, and may be extremely hazardous to your health. Indoor air quality tends to be poor, anyway, and if you have scum and bacteria on surfaces (and particles that you breathe in through your lungs) . . . it's a recipe for ill physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health, and your social life will suffer, as well.

That the dirty person is not even vaguely aware of that indicates they are not "paying attention." They probably have a host of other low character behaviors.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:06 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:

Messy house, messy mind.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:08 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, it doesn’t make you a bad person, but it might make you a lonely person.

This is the key... having a really dirty house makes it uncomfortable to have people visit you. Often times home messiness and hoarding/reluctance to clean are a symptom of someone who at some level wants to keep people away.

So being really dirty or messy doesn't make you a horrible person, but it can be a symptom of something very wrong with you.

Can be. Housekeeping just one aspect of you, and messiness is relative. Depends on the rest of the big picture.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:

First, you mention "not passing the white glove test" and then mention not cleaning the shower for a decade. One implies a place that's untidy, the other a health hazard.

I see no correlation between that and one's integrity, kindness, or anything else one would use to judge character.

HOWEVER, you're likely to be somewhat repellent to other people if the place is gross enough that people won't want to spend time with you.

And, people may make judgements about your capabilities in other areas of life. At some point, slovenliness becomes indicative of ones own abilities to manage their affairs and their own mental health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
It doesn't make you a horrible person, but it does make you look/appear gross and unkempt. No one likes to clean. And no one ever said your house has to sparkle as much as a Mr. Clean commercial. But you worked hard to earn your home and the things you own inside it, so why not keep it clean, neat, and organized?
I've met people that do have a cathartic experience from cleaning even if they don't achieve joy from it, not unlike people that profess to like to run.

And then there are those of us that do it since it needs to be done but ultimately shake our head and think, "What a waste." And plenty of us that hate, hate hate being told to "put things away." It's my house and I'll leave that where I want to. If I wanted my drill "away" it would be there. but I want it on the kitchen table.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:59 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
I think you are first lazy and then when it is really dirty, too overwhelmed to clean and just give up. I think some people just don't SEE the dirt and trash everywhere, they block it out of their mind.

Not a bad person per se - maybe mental issues. I would hate sitting in a dirty house.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:36 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,604 times
Of course not! Some would say that it's a sign of being creative or intellectual. I don't know about that, but no, I see no correlation.

Although - not cleaning your shower in a decade or more is pretty extreme. But still, that only makes you an extreme slob, not a bad person, necessarily.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:41 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
They probably have a host of other low character behaviors.
"Low character" is really in the eye of the beholder, though, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships