Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 06:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times

Advertisements

Depends on the motivation (or lack thereof) leading to the messiness.

Is the house messy because the owner does nothing?
Is the house messy because the owner does the wrong things? (Placing items into neat stacks but never practicing garbage collection)
Is the house messy because there are more people making messes than cleaning them up?

I'd have varying degrees of sympathy depending on the reason. But ultimately would probably just not visit the person in their home. Problem solved. (For me, anyway)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 06:06 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Cleaning is time spent she could be reading.
I like your aunt’s philosophy.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:07 PM

107 posts, read 108,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
if you live alone and you don't care how it looks or how many dust bunnies are mating in the corners...

If you haven't cleaned your shower in a decade or more...

If people shudder when they look inside your fridge... Well, maybe they should stay out of your fridge. But i'm just saying...

Does that mean you're a person of poor character? Let's say you love kittens and puppies and donate to animal causes, are you still a reprobate because your home doesn't pass the white glove test?

I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?
yes

Old 10-29-2019, 06:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Mostly true, but there are some people who actually do like it. I don't like to clean but I don't dislike it, either. I'm the Switzerland of house cleaning.

Ironically, Windex isn't even very good at cleaning windows. A glass installer gave me the best tip ever: Glass Cleaner by Sprayway, in the blue top can.
Sparkle is very good also.

In regard to Windex, a cleaning person I interviewed recently said he uses Windex on the bathroom and kitchen counters. I don’t think that would kill germs.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:33 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
"Low character" is really in the eye of the beholder, though, isn't it?
Yes, but I didn't feel like attempting to list the infinite possibilities.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:34 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,969,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
no to it making someone a bad person. I have an Aunt who doesn't clean. To her dusting is a trick since it comes right back. cleaning is time spent she could be reading. She does keep everything organized. Her husband doesn't care either.
My friend says we come from dust and return to dust... she doesn’t want to wipe up someone she might know.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
No, there is no connection between being a slob and being a horrible person. However, slob could be symbolic such as messy hair is symbolic. It means that the person's problems are so great, that they can't even take care of their own belongings or brush their own hair. I would look to other causes such as distracted, over-scheduled, or even poor planning or time management.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:49 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
No, but it is common with dementia.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:52 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,456 times
It very much depends, some houses are so bad that children serves had to remove the children, feces everywhere, old dirty dishes, trash etc.. I wouldn’t call the good people. There
Are people who are clean who do to for other reasons as well.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:17 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
It seems some people think I'm posing this question about me, so:

I'm not referring to myself in the OP. I have a beautiful, new-to-me home and I want to keep it that way. It is a lot of work. The grounds require substantial effort as well.

Does this make me a good person? Not in my opinion. Do I fantasize about getting housecleaning services as a Christmas gift? Oh hell yes.
I can't beleive you don't already have a service! It is Scottsdale after all. Did I get your location correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships