Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 07:54 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
It very much depends, some houses are so bad that children serves had to remove the children, feces everywhere, old dirty dishes, trash etc.. I wouldn’t call the good people. There
Are people who are clean who do to for other reasons as well.
I was going to say something like this. If a house is so bad, like hoarding conditions, with literally trash all over, insects, rodents, dead animals, barely room to walk, fire hazard and such, and one controlling person refuses to clean or allow anyone else to clean, and yet are forcing children, pets and other people to live in such hazardous conditions, then yes, I think they're a horrible person, mental illness or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 07:56 PM

927 posts, read 759,730 times
I knew an older man who wouldn't clean his condo and he had two suicide books , same book, one was written up in, and the other had no writing.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:58 PM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Messy house, messy mind.
Maybe to some extent, but perhaps not quite in the pejorative way you seem to imply. I've read studies in that past that posit a correlation between 'propensity for living in a cluttered environment' and exhibiting creativity. Think of the stereotype of the frazzled artist for example. As a sample size of one, I do my individual part to help strengthen that correlation. I currently have about 40 books scattered on the floor around where I sleep--to me, that's comforting. It's also not animals-breeding-in-the-corner-level filth, though, either.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerUSA45 View Post
yes
Good, thoughtful answer.

Hope you're capable of detecting sarcasm.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
yes.
Having a messy house doesn't make one a bad person, but issuing one-word answers in the affirmative to the OP does make you a thoughtless one.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
I knew an older man who wouldn't clean his condo and he had two suicide books , same book, one was written up in, and the other had no writing.
There is a condo here where the floors are all covered in beer cans.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:01 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,910 times
No, not at all. Unless your mess is harming others (kids, pets, etc) and you refuse to get help. Even then I think "horrible" is a strong word in most cases.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
No, not at all. Unless your mess is harming others (kids, pets, etc) and you refuse to get help. Even then I think "horrible" is a strong word in most cases.
usually something like that means the person is unwell.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 PM

7,048 posts, read 6,300,442 times
My apartment is often messy, having moved from a 2 bedroom to a 1 bedroom and I am in the process of decluttering but it takes time. Having a really bad back is frustrating.

As to the person the op pointed out, I can't imagine not cleaning for that length of time. Sounds like a case of depression.

Does it make them a bad person? Not necessarily. Mental health issues can cause a myriad of problems, and not always easy to spot. But, it can also lead to health issues due to germs.

Occasionally I will watch episodes of hoarders. Frankly, I feel sorry for the people as they don't know where to turn. That's a mental health issue, but that doesn't make them bad people.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:49 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
There is a condo here where the floors are all covered in beer cans.

Why doesn't the owner invite a can collector in, to gather them up for the deposits? They'd both he happy. This discussion has me wondering if early people kept their caves spotlessly clean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships