Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 10:28 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,253 times

Advertisements

Huh.

Looks around. {{shrugs}}

Carry on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 10:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

...... I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?

What is your definition of horrible? To me horrible means extreme - like something extremely repugnant, dreadful, shocking, nauseating, disgusting, unhealthy, perverted in mind, untouchable, etc.

I don't think being a slob means the person is horrible or someone of poor character, I think it means the person is or is becoming mentally dysfunctional, depressed, negligent and is confused about what are necessary life skills, priorities and needs.

I don't enjoy doing any kind of housework and tend to procrastinate from time to time but I don't neglect it, I do get it done because it needs to be done if I want my body, mind, spirit and my home to be healthy.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:54 PM

513 posts, read 541,765 times
Quote:
If you live alone and you don't care how it looks or how many dust bunnies are mating in the corners...

If you haven't cleaned your shower in a decade or more...

If people shudder when they look inside your fridge... Well, maybe they should stay out of your fridge. But I'm just saying...

Does that mean you're a person of poor character? Let's say you love kittens and puppies and donate to animal causes, are you still a reprobate because your home doesn't pass the white glove test?

I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?
In a word....no.

Though you really should clean the shower once in a while....

Old 10-31-2019, 03:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
My idea of 'house work' involves a nail gun. I should probably build a shed and put all this junk into it, then there'd be a full shed and a temporarily cleaner house. More junk would just fill up the empty space. If it's already full, that keeps more from showing up, so it's a system.

Generally, I've noticed that creative folks have a tendency to be messier than others, but I have a limited database. As for being a 'bad' person, most of that is sheerly subjective.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:46 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Did you have to have extensive clean-up after they left?
They left behind entire rooms full of crap, so yeah. It was not much fun. Pretty much had to gut the inside of the house and haul everything to the dump.

We bought our AZ house with the proceeds from that one. My spouse, who comes from a male line of hoarders, is not allowed to trash this house. Maybe I’m kidding myself but he seems happier in a spacious, clean, clutter-free environment.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM

841 posts, read 554,042 times
I sure hope not. I'm a messy. I get clutter-blind to things. Now, that being said, litter boxes are scooped daily, trash is put into the trash can and taken out as soon as the bag is full, laundry is kept up with, pet dishes are washed daily, the dishwasher is run every night, etc. But, you'll find stuff out that could be put up, junk mail by the door, a few piles here and there of things that just don't have a good home, etc. I need to dust and deep clean a few things. (We're also out on a farm, so no staying away from dirt/dust.) I need to sweep and mop everywhere more often instead of spot cleaning. My fridge is kept gone through, so no rotting food or anything, but it's been too long since I've removed everything and wiped down all the shelves.

I am incredibly introverted and having someone inside my house aside from my husband or parents is a horrible thought, no matter if there was crap everywhere or if a service had just come in and done a deep clean.

(But that being said, as much as I fantasize about a cleaning service, I would never be comfortable letting someone do that.)

I am not unkempt in appearance. I wear a full face of makeup and style my hair daily. I dress professionally. My car needs washed and vacuumed, but it's always kept cleaned out.

When I was growing up, my mother cleaned a lot. If we got in trouble, our punishment was to clean. I think that is why I am so bad at it as an adult. I still can't not see it as punishment. I'm good about keeping up with anything that could be harmful, smell, unhealthy, etc., but I really don't care aesthetically if that makes any sense.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:47 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,644,568 times
Does anyone else here feel compelled to house-clean after reading this thread? My mother was a clean freak, I was the opposite. I remember one time she got on my case to clean my room so I stuffed everything into the closet. She came in to inspect and opened the closet door and was buried in all the things i had shoved in there.

I've gotten better through the years and things are usually pretty tidy. And currently, we've had several more cats dumped on us by a relative so it's scooping twice daily and other mandatory daily cleanup, otherwise things would get nasty quickly.

I AM anal about the kitchen, I hate stuff on the counters and on the fridge. So the counters are fairly empty and there is nothing on the fridge doors. We had house guests a few months ago who told us we have a really uncluttered, tidy house so we're probably doing okay. Edited to add, no, I don't think being messy makes you a bad person, but I've known a few people with really dirty houses and there always seemed to be some sort of mental issue involved, depression or general unhappiness or being overwhelmed by circumstances and having no help.

Last edited by CatTX; 10-31-2019 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Forgot to answer OP question

Old 10-31-2019, 11:07 AM

49 posts, read 31,158 times
Quote:
If you live alone and you don't care how it looks or how many dust bunnies are mating in the corners...

If you haven't cleaned your shower in a decade or more...

If people shudder when they look inside your fridge... Well, maybe they should stay out of your fridge. But I'm just saying...

Does that mean you're a person of poor character? Let's say you love kittens and puppies and donate to animal causes, are you still a reprobate because your home doesn't pass the white glove test?

I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?
Messiness is fine. Normal living includes messiness!

Your fridge should be cleaned fairly regularly, but God knows I probably have some leftovers in mine that should've been tossed a few days ago.

Dust is everywhere, best not to let it build up, but moderation is key -- don't want to create unhealthy living conditions, or ruin your rugs, drapes, etc., with embedded dust.

Not cleaning a shower for over ten years? That's probably a serious health issue.

I don't think any of this makes someone a person of bad character, but extremes in either direction (obsessive-compulsive cleaning, lack of cleaning at all) can speak to underlying mental health issues.

That a person donates to charity doesn't negate bad things, though (not that I think someone who has issues keeping up a moderately clean home is "bad"). Remember, Denis Rader was an upstanding member of his church. Externally, he was "good", but not so much underneath, ya know?

Old 10-31-2019, 11:29 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Hey now! If I have penicillin potential growing in my fridge..well I'm just being pro active to an out break

If I have dust bunnies...they are my only pets I don't need to walk or feed.

My windows are naturally blurred and smeared.. it keeps the neighbors from seeing in!

I know it's time to tidy up when my kitchen garbage can starts wiggling on its own.

My mom was raised by a parent who was militant in cleaning thoroughly and strict schedule! My mom made it her life mission to not clean. Funny thing is..I got to spend a few years living with my grandma ...and I loved every chore she and I did together. Loved ironing...cooking...doing dishes...hanging the wash...cutting the grass. Perhaps because we made it fun. Giggling or sharing. My mom said there was no laughter with her and her mom when it came to chores
Made me sad that my mom and I had different experiences with grams.
Anyways I tend to think if someone values what they made or earned....they'll take care of it moderately. It does reflect on a person's level of responsibility.

Okay gotta go...my kitchen garbage just wiggled!!

Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Messy is not synonymous with dirty but it is easier to clean if there is less clutter. The bathrooms are clean...the kitchen is clean but too much stuff on the counters for my liking...the rest of the house is what it is.

I live with a messy person and I am way past the age of even wanting to try to take care of HIS mess. So I put up with most of it - does that make ME a bad person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships