Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 12:17 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,300,442 times

Advertisements

I found after back surgery I could not bend. This makes for serious storage issues as I can no longer use half of my cabinets.

There are many things I have done to compensate. One being that I am working on not being angry about the car accident that caused the back problems. I remind myself I can at least walk now.

Outside of that, decluttering was/is essential. I did get rid of a lot but find there's a lot more that has to go.

I bought a bathroom scrubber with a telescopic handle. No more trying to bend to clean the tub, shower.

I bought a reacher so I can pick up things from the floor.

I bought a walker with a seat. I put my garbage bag on that to take it to the dumpster. This also helps with transporting groceries from the car.

I bought a lightweight vacuum cleaner.

It's taken quite a while to adjust to this new lifestyle and I've bought things as I could afford them, not all at one time.

I'm hoping op was being facetious when she mentioned 10 years without cleaning the shower. Gross.

But a messy house doesn't necessarily mean a bad person. I felt horrible when my home was dirty but, outside of hiring someone to help clean, some things I had to let go until I could do them. You have to look at individual cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 12:36 PM

7,046 posts, read 6,300,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couch coyote View Post
This question hits home with me because I was raised to keep my surroundings clean, tidy and dusted, although not necessarily scrubbed to a laboratory standard. I definitely like things neat!

But last year I tore up my knee and had to let everything go. As a result I'm too embarrassed to let people in the door. It's agonizing, depressing, aggravating - just about any "-ing" you can think of. But my house is not ME. I'm not a slob in my inner core; I was temporarily physically unable.

All this is to say, maybe it's a better idea to first find out the reason for the mess. (Unless your motivation is to gossip and feel superior. If that's your character, I can't help you with that.) People are complex. And imperfect. And subject to outside forces. So jeez, don't let rude be your automatic default . . .
I feel for you. I can't bend and have had to become pretty innovative to find cleaning solutions. I've also relaxed my standards as it would hurt too much to consistently do something. For some things I prepare myself with ibuprofen and recognize I'll be 'down' for awhile after doing them. So they get put off longer. You have to be patient with yourself and recognize your limitations.

Search google for handicap accessories to find items that can help. I can't remember the name of the catalog I ordered a lot of things from. It was Dr something or other. There are a lot of aids out there. I hope you can find some that help you.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:27 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,036,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you live alone and you don't care how it looks or how many dust bunnies are mating in the corners...

If you haven't cleaned your shower in a decade or more...

If people shudder when they look inside your fridge... Well, maybe they should stay out of your fridge. But I'm just saying...

Does that mean you're a person of poor character? Let's say you love kittens and puppies and donate to animal causes, are you still a reprobate because your home doesn't pass the white glove test?

I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?
Is this about you, personally?

You may stink, but considering the kittens and puppies etc, you're probably not a bad person. (At least, not to them.)

Now, off to get some Domestos, and some scrubby thingies. Work to be done.

Good luck.

Pip Pip.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:34 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
If you live alone and you don't care how it looks or how many dust bunnies are mating in the corners...

If you haven't cleaned your shower in a decade or more...

If people shudder when they look inside your fridge... Well, maybe they should stay out of your fridge. But I'm just saying...

Does that mean you're a person of poor character? Let's say you love kittens and puppies and donate to animal causes, are you still a reprobate because your home doesn't pass the white glove test?

I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?
I wouldn't say it makes someone a horrible person because I have not met every single messy home dweller.

I will say, of the messy home dwellers I have met, they have NOT been nice, fair, or honest people. So, for me, when I see someone living in filth, I definitely question their character.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:38 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I wouldn't say it makes someone a horrible person because I have not met every single messy home dweller.

I will say, of the messy home dwellers I have met, they have NOT been nice, fair, or honest people. So, for me, when I see someone living in filth, I definitely question their character.
Really? I can't see what one has to do with the other.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Really? I can't see what one has to do with the other.
What part of "that I have met" do you not comprehend?

Old 10-31-2019, 04:50 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

What kind of sample size are we talking about here?

Old 10-31-2019, 07:06 PM

18,106 posts, read 15,683,109 times
The guy who lived in the studio apartment next door to me in college 1 year kept the place in such a mess it stunk. Old rotten food on the floors, just an absolute garbage pit. I bet the complex had to tear out the carpet and call in a hazmat team.

The guy was heavy into drugs. Nice person, but obviously there were issues. My nickname for him back then was "John Belushi Jr" because he kind of looked like him and he was just constantly getting high, walked around with a pipe in his mouth or a bong in hand.

Didn't make him a "bad person," but to live in that level of filth meant something was way off.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:52 PM

6,871 posts, read 4,873,766 times
It wouldn't make one a bad person. Sounds more like the lifestyle of a depressed and/or unhygienic person.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
What kind of sample size are we talking about here?
About 5 or 6. That's why I began my post with the statement that I did...which seems to have been overlooked.

Oh, and when I say "messy' in regards to this 5 or 6, I mean disgusting messy, not "lived in" look. If you have maggots on your kitchen counter - and you still don't clean, that's "disgusting messy". Yes, I do indeed know some people who live like that. I do not hang around them not only because they are disgusting, but because every last one of them has been a very unkind, unfair, and pretty mean person.

I did not say that means that EVERYONE who lives messy is like that - based on my experience, however, when I see someone who lives like that, I'm going to question their character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships