Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 12:00 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times

Advertisements

If you live alone and you don't care how it looks or how many dust bunnies are mating in the corners...

If you haven't cleaned your shower in a decade or more...

If people shudder when they look inside your fridge... Well, maybe they should stay out of your fridge. But I'm just saying...

Does that mean you're a person of poor character? Let's say you love kittens and puppies and donate to animal causes, are you still a reprobate because your home doesn't pass the white glove test?

I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
I think this is a situation in how you were brought up. I can see how some people would think so, seeing as "Cleanliness is next to Godliness (That's nowhere in the Bible though.) But IMO, no, it does not make you a horrible person. (I'm on the messy side of life too. But I always think things would be better if I were home more.)

Old 10-29-2019, 12:17 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
I don't think there is a correlation between messiness and being a horrible person. Just like there is no correlation between keeping a spotless house and being a good and decent person.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
I'm a little on the messy side too, but what you describe is way beyond that. My closets and cabinets are in disarray, you'll find crumbs from my sandwich on the counter, shoes here and there on the floor.

But what you describe would make anyone visiting your home very uncomfortable, and likely smells.

I don't know if it's a symptom of a "bad person" but maybe depression? Most people would find it depressing to live that way.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:19 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,941 times
It doesn't make you a horrible person, but it does make you look/appear gross and unkempt. No one likes to clean. And no one ever said your house has to sparkle as much as a Mr. Clean commercial. But you worked hard to earn your home and the things you own inside it, so why not keep it clean, neat, and organized? Not only that, but living in a filthy home can have major affects on your health. If you're someone who enjoys having company over or hosting, don't expect people to come back after they see what the inside of your home looks like.

Some people are brought up in a messy household, and they carry on the same traits when they get a place of their own. Some people don't truly know how to clean. My girlfriend's parents are messy. Not dirty messy, but clutter all over the place messy. In turn, she's the same way. I used to clean up after her, but I stopped that real quick and told her I am not the maid, and that she needs to clean up her mess. Especially when I've just cleaned and tidied up a room and she swoops in like a tornado a day later and destroys it. Her best friend used to think Windex solved all of her cleaning problems. I'm not joking either.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:52 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
No one likes to clean.
Mostly true, but there are some people who actually do like it. I don't like to clean but I don't dislike it, either. I'm the Switzerland of house cleaning.

Quote:
Her best friend used to think Windex solved all of her cleaning problems. I'm not joking either.
Ironically, Windex isn't even very good at cleaning windows. A glass installer gave me the best tip ever: Glass Cleaner by Sprayway, in the blue top can.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:55 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I don't think there is a correlation between messiness and being a horrible person. Just like there is no correlation between keeping a spotless house and being a good and decent person.
This.

People all have different priorities. Some need tidy surroundings to feel comfortable, others don't care about dust and clutter. Still others have mental illnesses that make it very challenging to keep a clean house (e.g., hoarders).

Old 10-29-2019, 01:12 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you live alone and you don't care how it looks or how many dust bunnies are mating in the corners...

If you haven't cleaned your shower in a decade or more...

If people shudder when they look inside your fridge... Well, maybe they should stay out of your fridge. But I'm just saying...

Does that mean you're a person of poor character? Let's say you love kittens and puppies and donate to animal causes, are you still a reprobate because your home doesn't pass the white glove test?

I'm sincerely interested in this question: Is there a connection between being a slob and being a horrible human being?
What is your definition of a horrible person and why would you even think that? Why would you even equate the cleanliness of a persons house with their character?

Old 10-29-2019, 01:31 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Like so many others things, it depends on the degree to which someone takes it. Discounting the extremes on both sides, anecdotally, the messy people I've known were a lot more pleasant, more interested in the world outside, and more concerned about their relationships with others. Their personal habitat played second fiddle to the rest of their lives. The real neatniks tended to be controlling, judgmental, snooty, and obnoxious. They spent a lot of energy subduing their house because no one else could tolerate them. Does that make them a bad person? Maybe they wouldn't steal from you but you definitely paid a price for knowing them.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:46 PM

566 posts, read 678,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Like so many others things, it depends on the degree to which someone takes it. Discounting the extremes on both sides, anecdotally, the messy people I've known were a lot more pleasant, more interested in the world outside, and more concerned about their relationships with others. Their personal habitat played second fiddle to the rest of their lives. The real neatniks tended to be controlling, judgmental, snooty, and obnoxious. They spent a lot of energy subduing their house because no one else could tolerate them. Does that make them a bad person? Maybe they wouldn't steal from you but you definitely paid a price for knowing them.
Their homes were not as clean, but they were as pleasant and easy going, if not more so, than some real neatniks I've met.

Last edited by glenninindy; 10-29-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships