Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 09:38 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

Looking for an idea of which traits make people likable and/or lovable.

Mine are/were:

1. My (adopted) dad because he was fun and tried to do his best for his family

2. My aunt (my adopted dad's sister) because she was fun with a wonderful sense of humor, generous, and the most non-judgmental person I ever met.

3. My husband of 35 years because he is very loving toward me and we very compatible in every way

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 09:44 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,045,926 times
1. My wife. Duh. She creates life, beauty, love, and grace wherever she goes. Anyone who knows her longer than five minutes is better for the experience. Every year, I have June 9 marked on my calendar as the day I met her, because it's the most important day of my life. I simply cannot imagine what my life would have been like had she not wandered up to me at a party and introduced herself.

2. A client of mine who is also one of my best cheerleaders. She recognized my talent early and has remained a strong mentor for me the entirety of my career.

3. My brother. As the youngest two children in the family, one headed by a narcissistic mother and father, we managed to keep our heads screwed on straight while the turmoil raged on. While our older brother and sister both have really struggled in relationships and seemed to still be trying to live up to or reacting to our parents, my brother and I have more or less managed to find fantastic women and live life with humor and some kind of stability.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:22 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,339 times
One of my cousins because she is just so down to earth and easy to talk to (unlike most of my other relatives)

A former boss who always had my back (we still have lunch together once in a while)

The teacher I had for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades. She actually moved up a grade level as her students moved up. We were her class her first year of teaching and we were her class on her last year of teaching (at least at our school).

Old 11-04-2019, 02:53 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
My MIL, because we were so much alike, very independent and self-reliant. Because she understood what I was (and am) going through. Because we laughed together, a lot.

My former personal trainer and now friend, who is creative and lively. I miss her. When she was around, my life was Technicolor. We were those two people who could bounce ideas off each other for hours.

My former square dance caller. I know, but it is what it is. Brilliant man, MIT grad, funny and more supportive of me than any man I've ever known, including spouses and relatives.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:58 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,968,766 times
outside of relatives:

1. 2nd grade teacher. she showed science to me. fun times.
2. former supervisor. well, everyone liked him. even upper management.
3. choir director. always did the right thing, regardless of consequences.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
My twin brother as he’s always been my partner in crime and has always had my back.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:16 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
The universal traits that everyone likes are:

-mellow
-calm
-don't anger easily

In other words, these are people who don't express any bad emotions. They don't have emotional outbursts. They are not rude.

They don't offend anyone. They speak politely and their words never offend people. They speak with a pleasant tone of voice.

I know plenty of people like this. Usually this kind of personality marries someone of the opposite personality, the emotional one who's rude.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:24 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
The universal traits that everyone likes are:

-mellow
-calm
-don't anger easily

In other words, these are people who don't express any bad emotions. They don't have emotional outbursts. They are not rude.

They don't offend anyone. They speak politely and their words never offend people. They speak with a pleasant tone of voice.

I know plenty of people like this. Usually this kind of personality marries someone of the opposite personality, the emotional one who's rude.
I would agree with you because I am that kind of person, but I am only popular at work (where I am dependable and hard-working and pleasant to everyone), and the only person who has ever loved me is my husband. (Well, better than nothing!) OTOH, men who I consider to be, imo, obnoxiously extroverted but fun and women who are "b*tchy often seem to have a dozens of friends.

I just wonder if most people consider mellow people to be boring -- which, granted, I am as I have very little personal drama in my life, and what drama I have I don't usually share (except online). .

Old 11-06-2019, 07:39 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
1. My childhood best friend, Tony. He was artistic, funny, and good with girls
2. My 2nd cousin - Hes hilarious and I'm just getting to know him.
3. My niece - It is so fun watching her grow up. Shes so cute and adores me. Such a fun kid to be around.

My childhood best friend is no longer in my life. He and I drifted apart. I've tried to reconnect, but he really hasn't. Still, great memories.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:58 AM

923 posts, read 527,111 times
1. My ex-wife. She gave me the two greatest loves, my kids. Never knew I could love someone so much as I love my kids. She also showed me the definition of a true narcissistic person. I learned so much from that and it made my relationship with my kids better than ever.

2. My "dad". He showed me how devious people can be and how money truly is the root to all evil.

3. My "mom". She showed me how to not treat your kids, family, and friends. She showed how being cruel to people close to you causes so much pain to them and yourself. By not caring for others leads to a bitter life of loneliness. Caring for others and putting them before yourself gives more pleasure to everyone around you...including yourself.

I have very little contact with the three people I chose for reasons mentioned above. BUT, what they have shown me has taken me down a path of complete happiness. They pushed me closer to God and He has carried me through some tough times and now on a current path of happiness. I do wish these people the best as they have taught me so much.

A bit of a "dark" note to your subject, but these people led me to a list of people too long to list as a happy favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships