Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 08:27 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
If so, how many of them and how often?

For me, it’s been 11 years since High School, and I really only speak to one, and even we only get together maybe once or twice a year. But when we do get together, it’s like no time has passed so that’s cool.

But everybody else from High School, I never see or talk to anymore besides the occasional Facebook/Instagram “like” or “Happy Birthday” wishes. Interestingly, for the first few years after High School, almost all my friends were those from High School. We drifted apart as the years went on and I eventually moved away. Never really had a “falling out.”

Quite a few. Keeping in touch is easy through FB, I still speak to friends I've had since I was 4 years old.

Several of my good friends do not live that far away from me either, so we try to get together a couple times a year. We've vacationed with my best friend and his family twice in the last 5 years, for 2 weeks each time. They live about 30 miles from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 08:27 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Graduated 40 years ago

We have a Facebook page for our class. Some of us chat weekly. We had a very small class - maybe that is why?

But we also keep in touch with those that started out with us but moved or didn't graduate.
oh, how nice!!! That is a good idea.

I am friends on facebook with many but we do not really talk.

I only regularly speak through whatsapp with one friend. I really, really want to get in contact with my bff from back in the day but she married an ex of mine and is not willing to talk to me, unfortunately.

I find childhood connections very important, it is so much fun to talk about what happened back in the day, all these memories!!

Old 11-05-2019, 08:35 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,941 times
January will make it 14 years since I graduated high school. I still talk to 2 of my friends and hangout with them. One of them lives in Florida, and I try to visit him once a year. The other one gets together with me once a week or every other week. We keep it simple and watch movies, funny shows we both love, and have some beers. We also will share funny stories from our past. Everyone else faded out, or became an acquaintance. I keep in touch with many on Facebook, and get the occasional, "We should hangout! It's been so long!," but nothing ever happens. I am guilty of it too sometimes. The hardest thing I had to learn about friends from high school was accepting that a lot of us are on different paths, and that some friendships are not meant to last forever.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:50 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
(snip)
My son graduated from HS almost 20 years ago and talks with six or eight friends from HS a few times a year and sees them about once a year. He also sees several of his college buddies once or twice a year.
I am sure that a lot depends on your specific situation. If you, and some of your HS friends stayed in your hometown, you can easily meet for lunch or a party. In my sons case, he lives in northern California and a couple of his best friends from HS live in Wisconsin and others are all over. His college buddies are spread all of the US, Florida, Massachusetts, Iowa, New York, Wisconsin, and Southern California. But many of them still get together in Wisconsin for an annual July 4th camp-out.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:59 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
Not since the day I graduated !

Old 11-05-2019, 09:36 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
I graduated 66 years ago. Most of my classmates are hard to find. I did manage, through the wonders of technology, to contact my HS best friend.

She lives 120 miles away (in the old home town) but we speak on the phone often. She's a partial Luddite and refuses to have an e-mail account. MOF, I just forced her into a text message last week. LOL

It's like we were never apart in all the years gone by with no contact.

The rest of the class? meh

P.S. We dated brothers. She married hers; mine died.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times
I graduated 35 years ago. Over the years I kept in touch with a couple of people, then when social media became a thing became "friends" with them on there. Five years ago someone decided to have a reunion of sorts, and that led to me reconnecting with a bunch of people online and I went to a dinner with a small group (a dozen out of 150 people in our class). It was kind of fun to see where we all ended up, and that those I liked in school I still do even as our lives diverged.

This summer one woman moved back to town, and a few times some of us "girls" have met for dinner. I'm enjoying it, so why not? Plus I even made a business connection, with someone who has been working towards getting into a line of work tangential to mine.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:05 PM

1,013 posts, read 725,949 times
No. I was a newcomer to a southern h.s. from the north and wasn’t received very well. After I graduated I went back north to college and stayed there. The h.s. closed about 10 years after I left.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
If so, how many of them and how often?

For me, it’s been 11 years since High School, and I really only speak to one, and even we only get together maybe once or twice a year. But when we do get together, it’s like no time has passed so that’s cool.

But everybody else from High School, I never see or talk to anymore besides the occasional Facebook/Instagram “like” or “Happy Birthday” wishes. Interestingly, for the first few years after High School, almost all my friends were those from High School. We drifted apart as the years went on and I eventually moved away. Never really had a “falling out.”
My group of friends (8 of us) are all from childhood and we are in our 50's.
That said, we had long lapses from college and in 20's of not talking at all or not much. There are spaces of 5 years where I knew nothing of some of them. This is pretty much my "fault" as it were, because I don't have much in common with any of them TBH, but I did not find any close friendships that really "stuck" and they are nice and lovely people, so now we are all close again. Had I found some other friends that enjoyed my same interests etc, it may not have happened this way.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:47 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
I graduated from HS in the early 70s. I am FB friends with about 10 classmates, but that’s about it.

I went to my 10 year reunion. Meh. Haven’t done any of them since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships