Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 09:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times

Advertisements

Just went to my 40th HS reunion. I came away with several friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 06:54 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Not many. I was lucky in some regards that Facebook opened up to most colleges during my senior year of high school so as we all got accepted, we were able to connect digitally early on. I was the only one of my two social groups to go out of state for school. They all went to the same large flagship university in our state, with a handful going to some of the smaller ones. For the most part, they lived together, pledged the same frats/sororities, were in the marching band together, and continued to have each other in their daily lives where I only got to see them once a year when I came home for winter break. They all still live in the same state while I live across the country.

No animosity there, we just drifted apart. Going to college and meeting people there also showed me how many of my friendships were friendships of convenience. We didn't have a lot in common besides where we lived and went to school. I went to a college where more people had similar interests and goals, and we're still close today.

My only real regret is that I lost touch with one close friend from high school completely. I reached out to her via LinkedIn (her only social channel) after having not spoken in about a decade, but didn't hear back. Out of curiosity, about a year later (recently) I Googled her to see what was up. She was murdered in her home right around the time I reached out. So much potential lost.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:34 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
I went to school in Florida but moved to Long Island in my early 20's and never kept in touch with any of my High School friends. I saw no reason to - we graduated and went our separate ways. I don't even keep in touch with the close friends I made in New York except for a yearly birthday card.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:58 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,185,396 times
I've been out of high school for 27 years and I keep in touch with three women. I'm fairly close to one of those three, but only see the other two when five of us total (the fifth is from elementary school) get together every other month for "Ladies Night." I consider two of them friends and the other two acquaintances.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 AM

7,139 posts, read 4,552,321 times
I graduated high school almost 50 years ago. There are 5 of us that keep in touch and meet in person every few years. We live all over the country. I am also friends with my friend from kindergarten.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:32 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,185,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Just went to my 40th HS reunion. I came away with several friends.
This just reminded me of something. My mother's 50th high school reunion was in 2016 and she came away from that with several friends who now get together about once a month or every other month for lunch, etc. They're all retired and some are widows; they didn't necessarily stay in touch after high school as they all went their separate ways, got married, had kids, were living their lives, etc. But now that they have more time on their hands again, it's come full circle. She really enjoys those get-togethers.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:01 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,402,695 times
Only one and even that person, we talk every so often but it's not a weekly or monthly thing.

I kind of wish I had done a better job of trying to keep in touch with people but I also was anxious to move on after HS ended. Growing up in wealthy town that was EXTREMELY boring and lacking in diversity, we all were excited to go into "the real world" and meet new people and get out of this rigid bubble we all grew up in but looking back, it would've been nice to still keep those friendships intact especially because HS is such a special time in your life.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:50 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,923 times
Graduated 35 years ago. None of them. To be honest, within a year of graduation I didn't speak to any of them any more. Moved on.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:56 AM

554 posts, read 623,511 times
I keep in touch with 1 or 2. Lost touch with most high school people years ago. I have never attended a class reunion either.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:06 AM

80 posts, read 33,119 times
Yes I do. It's less than 10 people though, but I find that I am the most comfortable around them. I was MIA for about 5 years but when I reached out it didn't feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships