Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 04:38 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

I was about 15 and had a fight with my mother. I don't remember why.

I headed off down the street with just my purse. I was going to the highway to hitch-hike to my cousin's house in the country, about 30 miles away.

My mother chased me down with her car and we fought again in a parking lot. She won. I got in the car and we drove home.

She was strict and a wonderful mother. She taught me many values, that I still use today.
I like to believe and think I did teach our boys the same values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 05:11 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
During my parents' divorce, when I briefly still lived with my Dad and my stepmom, I thought about it.

I had a friend when I was 10, who I had my first crush on (which he seemed rather stubbornly oblivious to, but he was the same age)...and my friend moved away. First he moved just to another part of the state. We sent letters back and forth. Planned for both of us to run away from home, meet in a town in the middle, and go on from there. I'd read a lot of fiction written for tweens about "survival" in the wilderness alone, and I had fantasies of living out in the forest.

But we never did it, and eventually his family sent him to a military school far away. He ended up becoming a fighter pilot in the Air Force.

As a child, I spent a lot of time roaming the woods by myself. There were large tracts of forest around the tributary creeks that fed into the Potomac river, and I would follow them for hours, but I never thought of that as running away, I always went home. It is unimaginable now, but most weekends and afternoons, my family had no idea where I was. No one had a cell phone. I was supposed to be home before dark, and usually I was. Maybe without my shoes, I often seemed to lose them.

Years later when I was 16 or 17...I disappeared for three days. My family had moved to the Eastern Shore of VA, which is the peninsula out around the Chesapeake. Miserable place for a "city girl" (which I was by that time.) I went with some of my pothead friends and stayed in the house of a boy I was sleeping with, we went to Ocean City one night and walked around on the boardwalk. When I returned home, I was sure I would be in a lot of trouble, my Mom worried about me. She was very nonchalant about it, said that she just figured I was off somewhere getting laid or getting high or both. She wasn't wrong, but it hurt that she didn't seem to care.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:38 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
I once tried when I was about 7 or 8 but didn't get far.

I grew up in an abusive household. Things got worse when I was a teen. At that time we were living on an island outside the mainland. I often thought about running away but never did because I realized that there was no way I would have been able to survive on my own. Since we were on an island, I knew I couldn't get too far. The only place I could think of going to was to an aunt who also lived on the island. However, I knew she would have just brought me back home which would have made things even worse for me.

I used to wish that there was someone who could have taken me in, but, alas there was no one in my life who would have done that.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
I left before I finished high school and went back right about time to get ready for college.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:45 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
As a child, no. At sixteen, yes, and it was permanent.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:14 PM

42 posts, read 36,105 times
I intended to run away if my mother died and one of my much-older brothers wouldn't take custody of me (she needed a biopsy for a big tumor). My father was psychotic and I feared for my life if left alone in his minimal care.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:37 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I never thought about running away when I was a child. I was living in a different place every few months - with my Father - with my Mother and her new husband - with my paternal grandparents - with my father and his new wife - and a random aunt and uncle here and there.

I confess to wanting to run away when I was older. And married. And mother to three teen age boys. But I didn't. Guess I knew that if I ran away, I'd have to take out the garbage myself!

Old 11-05-2019, 07:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
No because my dad would have beat my butt.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:58 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Multiple times & moved out at age 16.

I was a 'milk-carton kid' for a while. Eventually my mom was afraid to report me 'found' because they knew I'd disappear again eventually. The longest was when I was 14. Told my mom I was going out to the backyard, hopped the fence & they didn't see me for 3 months.

I now regret what an awful & ungrateful child I was.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:07 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Umm...if you aren't underage, how would it be "running away"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships