Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 08:17 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,805 times

Advertisements

I absolutely threatened it a few times. Never did it but came close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 08:58 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,985,456 times
Yes.
Ran away, crawled out my bedroom window at 16.
Stayed with my best friends family for 3 months during the summer.
Left my folks a note not to worry but didn't tell them where I was.
Had the best summer of my life.
In hindsight I can't believe I was so disrespectful to my parents.
I was about 25 miles away.
Came back right before my jr. Year in highschool.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:34 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,971,317 times
I thought about it over the course of many years and finally did it when I was seventeen. Hitchhiked. I went to stay with my boyfriend 60 miles away. Pretty sure my parents were happy to see me go. Is it running away if you’re actually doing them a favor?

Never went back.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:41 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
I was four and I was mad.

I got as far as the corner and remembered I was not allowed to cross the street alone.

That ended it.
I had the same issue. me and my little wagon had to turn around and head back.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:55 AM

1,056 posts, read 726,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Umm...if you aren't underage, how would it be "running away"??
Rarely, parents can be very controlling regardless of their descendants being adults. I've never heard of any such cases but am sure it's happening somewhere.

I'm actually writing a fictional novel series where one of the two main characters has to face a treacherous mother/sadistic aunt until shortly before his 19th birthday, when he meets a love interest and finally kills his mom/aunt while everyone fighting's dangerously angry. I think we can say he had enough

Old 11-06-2019, 04:26 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,860,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Yes and no.

I was sort of not wanted, ignored, etc as a kid. Thus, very unhappy. I figured they would either not notice or not care if I did leave.. I was also very analytical, and therefore cautious- I mean, I didn't want to get kidnapped or die of dehydration or whatever, right?
So I would write the letter, and hide somewhere. Or write the letter and go to a friend's.

To answer the obvious question: no they didn't care I was gone, but I had nowhere else to go so I'd eventually show up back home again.

I had a similar situation to you Marsha - in my family according to my Mother

Girls - near perfect
Boys - second coming of Satan

I do remember my Sister and Mother would have the longest scream fests on nearly a nightly basis, but she was never kicked out or ran off. My Mom was more apathetic to me, her go to saying was "Girls have periods...what's YOUR excuse".

My Mom did more than once put all my belongings in a box outside on the porch and let me know weekly I was welcome to leave anytime.

My parents were divorced, but going to live w/ my Father was not an option as he was an alcoholic. So, had to grin and bear it until I graduated HS. College out of state - then USAF.

So, "running away" wasn't much of an option back then.

Not surprisingly, you will never see me partaking in "Home for the Holidays"

Old 11-06-2019, 09:02 AM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Never did it while underage, never considered it.

However, once I left for college, except for 2 summers and semester breaks, I never lived in my home town or with my parents again. Upon graduating I ended up on the west coast starting my career.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
I didn't run away, but I was kicked out 2 months before I turned 18. I had religious differences with my parents and they decided it was time for me to go. I never looked back.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:49 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
At age 6: ran away. Got lost though...was found by an officer walking the beat. He asked my name and I lied. Took me to a soda shop..bought me a soda and the owner of the shop said...sure I know that little girl..it's Nov3! Here let me call her mom. I was toast after that!

Then at 8 I got smart. Bought a map of my town. Put on two sets of clothes and filled my safari hat with all my money I saved! I was going to make it this time! Headed too the far side of town. Sat in a snack shop eating every junk food money could buy! Peanut butter cups...a cmp sundae. A root beer float. Man I was loving this runaway life! It was hot out that day. So as I kept walking I got the repercussions of ice crm and too much soda. I hurled. Some lady screamed at me cuz it was on her side walk. It got to be nightfall and I actually thought I could sleep in the park. By then my grandma who I lived with had already called the police and all my relatives. I was picked up by the police. It was the one and most horrific time that my grandfather took the belt to me. They took away all my saved money and so long as I lived with them I was to come back in the house every half hour.

As an adult I am sure it worried my grandma terribly. As an adult the belt beating was abusive and not for my own good. As an adult I still like to run away! Only now I call it clocking out from work

Old 11-06-2019, 04:43 PM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
I thought about it a lot as a kid. My mother was physically and emotionally abusive, and she encouraged my brother to beat the crap out of me. I wish I had actually done it because it took half my life to recover from the physical and psychological scars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships