Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 06:53 AM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times

Advertisements

As for me...

Spoiler
I have once. I was in Kindergarten, First Grade or Second Grade. Our family dogs took off into the forest, and I blindly followed to call them back. We were to the back of the ridge by the time they turned around. Over halfway back, my parents found me with their ranger and said I'd get into serious trouble if I ran off again.

There was another time I merely considered it. You see, I've long been very troubled with finding a boyfriend and proper friends, and I still am... but earlier this year, I had a dream where my parents forbade me from speaking to my then-best friend despite seeing him in person. They wouldn't let me speak to a friend of his I liked romantically, either, even though my friend's cousin sent him and the guy spoke to me first. I prepared to run off if they didn't get their stuff together in like a week. This was only a dream, but I probably would run off and pursue those goals alone if they tried that hard to stop me (which they probably wouldn't), and I did briefly consider it out of fear that I'd been lied to all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 07:18 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
I threatened to run away several times, but never actually did it.

Once when I was in grade school I went so far as to write a running-away-from-home note, describing my grievances against my parents. I stuffed the note under a rug (I have no idea why) and my mother found it. She seemed annoyed to read it; I don't recall that anything changed in our household after that.

Note: I was not an abused child, by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I did when I was in second grade. Got off at a different bus stop and showed up at my friend's house. That was as far as I had gotten with my plan. Her mom called my parents while we were outside playing.

Fortunately I learned how to regulate and communicate about my emotions. It wasn't always easy, but in typical family situations it's a better method than just taking off.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:31 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
When I was 5ish - 6ish, I decided I would run away at some point, so I packed a suitcase. I had a little 'overnight' suitcase, and I stuffed a sweater, a pair of pants and a pair of shoes. I figured it was all I needed. One day, my mom was helping me look for something or other, and she picked up the suitcase to move it out of the way. She could tell there was something in it, so she opened it up. There was my stuff. She asked why I had packed it. I hemmed and hawed a little, and then she just kept going. I never did run away. LOL

Another time, my brother threatened to run away. I forget how old he was, but it was grade school. 2nd grade maybe. So anyway, he tells everyone he's going to run away. My mom told him he should pack some clothes, so he did. While he was packing some clothes, she made him a sandwich and put it in a bag for him. Then she held the door for him and wished him luck.

He stood at the end of the driveway until it got dark, and then he came back in. She asked him if he'd eaten his sandwich yet, and he said he had not, so that's what he ate for dinner. lol

Old 11-05-2019, 08:35 AM

6,452 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I grew up on a rural farm in Ky, there was no where for me to run to as a little kid lol

Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
I was four and I was mad.

I got as far as the corner and remembered I was not allowed to cross the street alone.

That ended it.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:51 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
I did when I was about 6 or 7. I told my mother she would never see me again and stomped out of the house. Okay, I just went out back to the guest house and stayed until it got dark. When I came back in the house - they were having dessert and everyone just stared at me without a word.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:49 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I ran away several times, but my parents never noticed, so it never did me any good.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:49 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Yes and no.

I was sort of not wanted, ignored, etc as a kid. Thus, very unhappy. I figured they would either not notice or not care if I did leave.. I was also very analytical, and therefore cautious- I mean, I didn't want to get kidnapped or die of dehydration or whatever, right?
So I would write the letter, and hide somewhere. Or write the letter and go to a friend's.

To answer the obvious question: no they didn't care I was gone, but I had nowhere else to go so I'd eventually show up back home again.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:52 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
my wife's brother ran away often, starting at age 11.
she told me about four of them, but there were more untold.
other in-laws filled in the blanks for a few.
he was and still is trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships