Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 12:15 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,748,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Anything warm north of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Boca, Palm Beach, will be just as expensive with not as much to do and see.

Plan a family dinner to someplace reasonable like Versailles and let mom pay for that. It would be a great place to have a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

It's iconic Miami. https://www.versaillesrestaurant.com/

Their paella is insanely good.
Thank you for the recommendation!

Actually, I had picked out the restaurant below to take her to already, but since you mentioned Versailles I looked it up and it looks like it might be even better (?) so I might take her there instead!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/olds-havana...d-cocina-miami

Wait...Versailles is open on Thanksgiving?

She is pretty set on doing Yardbird (southern fare-reminds her of us having traditional southern Thanksgiving dinner with the entire family back when both my grandparents were still living) as she really likes it there but maybe I can convince her to do somewhere different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 12:17 PM

^D*mn that paella looks ahhhhmazinggggg!

Old 11-05-2019, 02:30 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
$1000 would mean she has nothing left in her savings though...
Yeah, but you don't want to discourage someone new to saving for a trip/a splurge. You sound like you are close. If she runs up against a need that savings would have handled, you can always offer to backstop her. Plus if she gets into saving & feels good about it, she will build it back up.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:45 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
I think I'd just tell her that she is your mom and it is your pleasure to have her come on the trip with you and that she doesn't need to worry about the money. Tell her it's a perk she gets for being your mom so you could get a good job. And that you'd feel more comfortable knowing she has a little pad for emergencies. Encourage her to keep saving too!

Let her pay for dinner so she can participate if she wishes.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:

As mentioned, I am staying in South Beach. I will be in the area where the Setai/Shore Club/Shelborne hotels are located. So the price I quoted does not include food or activities. We don't do a ton of activities honestly; mostly just eat and lay around on the beach. Some bike riding. Maybe 2 outings (last time it was the zoo). My mother will actually only meet me there for half of the trip. Due to work she cannot stay the entire time so she will be there I think for the last 6 days of the trip.
Take her on the Deco Walking Tour. It is pretty fascinating.

Cheap eats in South Beach:
Big Pink
Puerto Saga (Cuban Diner)
Havana 1957
Pizza Rustica
Sandwicherie

Keep in mind dining in South Beach is a lot like eating in Midtown Manhattan. It's expensive.

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation!

Actually, I had picked out the restaurant below to take her to already, but since you mentioned Versailles I looked it up and it looks like it might be even better (?) so I might take her there instead!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/olds-havana...d-cocina-miami

Wait...Versailles is open on Thanksgiving?

She is pretty set on doing Yardbird (southern fare-reminds her of us having traditional southern Thanksgiving dinner with the entire family back when both my grandparents were still living) as she really likes it there but maybe I can convince her to do somewhere different.
Versailles is THE iconic Cuban Miami restaurant. Any time anything happens in Cuba, everyone films in front of Versailles. It's also a reasonably priced place in expensive Miami. Little Havana is a blue collar working Cuban city. Ball & Chain across the street is great for live Cuban bands.

The food at Versailles is also very good.

Yardbird is stupid expensive. I think last time I was there a half fried chicken was $27 for the entree but it is the best fried chicken you've ever eaten. Also, it is a la carte so you have to order sides which are also expensive.

As a southerner myself (SC) their menu prices are insulting. $10 for a bowl of grits?

Old 11-05-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Take her on the Deco Walking Tour. It is pretty fascinating.

Cheap eats in South Beach:
Big Pink
Puerto Saga (Cuban Diner)
Havana 1957
Pizza Rustica
Sandwicherie

Keep in mind dining in South Beach is a lot like eating in Midtown Manhattan. It's expensive.

Versailles is THE iconic Cuban Miami restaurant. Any time anything happens in Cuba, everyone films in front of Versailles. It's also a reasonably priced place in expensive Miami. Little Havana is a blue collar working Cuban city. Ball & Chain across the street is great for live Cuban bands.

The food at Versailles is also very good.

Yardbird is stupid expensive. I think last time I was there a half fried chicken was $27 for the entree but it is the best fried chicken you've ever eaten. Also, it is a la carte so you have to order sides which are also expensive.

As a southerner myself (SC) their menu prices are insulting. $10 for a bowl of grits?
Big Pink is definitely on the list! We have been together to Le Sandwicherie before and will definitely go back there too; we like to take our sandwiches from there to the beach...can't wait! I have been to Pizza Rustica as well; one of the first places I ever ate at in Miami actually. Do you live in Mia?

I think I've stayed in South Beach 6 or 7 times total now so I'm familiar with pricing in the area. The Yelp photos of food at Versailles have my mouth watering! Can't wait to go there now too. Now all I need are some lounge/bar recommendations (one upscale and one casual...hopefully one place with a rooftop). My girlfriend will actually be coming down for the first few days when my mom is not there so I want us to go out together.

Yardbird is indeed crazy expensive. We have eaten there now a half dozen or more times and have spent the last 2 or 3 Thanksgiving's there so it's pricey but my mom loves it (I do too actually). Wouldn't mind having a cheaper alternative for sure though. There's a restaurant in South Pointe (Smith something?) I've considered but heck it's just as pricey for Thanksgiving honestly...

I'm also from SC

I will definitely look into the Deco Walking tour...thank you! I need to be as active as possible while on this trip this time. Been way too sedentary lately working from home.

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 11-05-2019 at 05:31 PM..

Old 11-05-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Yeah, but you don't want to discourage someone new to saving for a trip/a splurge. You sound like you are close. If she runs up against a need that savings would have handled, you can always offer to backstop her. Plus if she gets into saving & feels good about it, she will build it back up.
You make a good point...

Old 11-05-2019, 06:17 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Big Pink is definitely on the list! We have been together to Le Sandwicherie before and will definitely go back there too; we like to take our sandwiches from there to the beach...can't wait! I have been to Pizza Rustica as well; one of the first places I ever ate at in Miami actually. Do you live in Mia?

I think I've stayed in South Beach 6 or 7 times total now so I'm familiar with pricing in the area. The Yelp photos of food at Versailles have my mouth watering! Can't wait to go there now too. Now all I need are some lounge/bar recommendations (one upscale and one casual...hopefully one place with a rooftop). My girlfriend will actually be coming down for the first few days when my mom is not there so I want us to go out together.

Yardbird is indeed crazy expensive. We have eaten there now a half dozen or more times and have spent the last 2 or 3 Thanksgiving's there so it's pricey but my mom loves it (I do too actually). Wouldn't mind having a cheaper alternative for sure though. There's a restaurant in South Pointe (Smith something?) I've considered but heck it's just as pricey for Thanksgiving honestly...

I'm also from SC

I will definitely look into the Deco Walking tour...thank you! I need to be as active as possible while on this trip this time. Been way too sedentary lately working from home.
I'm in Fort Lauderdale but we are in South Beach and Miami quite a bit.

Definitely take your friend to Ball & Chain. They do bachata and merengue lessons before the bands start playing.

Smith & Wollensky has outdoor views to die for. It overlooks the Government Cut and Fisher Island. You really need to go for a drink but make sure you sit outside overlooking the water. If you can swing it, I'd go there for Thanksgiving over Yardbird.

Juvia is probably the best rooftop bar.

To me, a trip to South Beach is not complete without mojitoes at the pool bar at The Delano.

Go to Wynwood and take either mom or your friend to Sunday Brunch drag show at R House. Trust me, you'll have the time of your life.

All the cool stuff in South Beach is actually moving to Midtown, Wynwood, and Little Havana.

https://ballandchainmiami.com/

https://www.smithandwollensky.com/ou...miami-beach-2/

Last edited by blueherons; 11-05-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-05-2019, 06:51 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I think I'd just tell her that she is your mom and it is your pleasure to have her come on the trip with you and that she doesn't need to worry about the money. Tell her it's a perk she gets for being your mom so you could get a good job. And that you'd feel more comfortable knowing she has a little pad for emergencies. Encourage her to keep saving too!

Let her pay for dinner so she can participate if she wishes.
Exactly.

Explain as you did to us about all the points you've traded in.

What a great mother/daughter team you two make.

Have a ball.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:39 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
My wife has this issue. She tells her mom to write her a check and never cashes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships