Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 10:17 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,748,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You're lucky he didn't run off with your credit card. As much as I applaud you for your generous heart, I would urge you to be cautious as well. After all, there are some unscrupulous people who will take unfair advantage of the generosity of others. I think it would have been better for you to accompany the man into the café, let him pick out what he wanted, and then paid for it yourself.

What's done is done, but something to think about for next time.
I didn't give him my card actually. That part I just recalled/wrote incorrectly. I was signing off on the tab so had my card out as I was giving him my food told him he had $200 towards that card to get whatever he wanted. I waited outside the cafe for him to bring everything to the register so after he had eaten my plate and then picked out everything inside I went back in and paid for his stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't physically hand it over to a stranger. Offering to pay has its own risks within itself I totally understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 12:13 PM

586 posts, read 314,748 times
Default ....do I accept a payment towards their stay?

I'd say no. Allow your mom to take you out once for a nice dinner. Tell her that the vacation is just a fraction of what you owe her for all she did raising you.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:26 PM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Assuming full time employment (2000 hours per year):

Her income = 18k
Your income = 126k

And you feel it would be kind of nice to have a little bit of help?

Un-f'n-believable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Yeah. It would be 'kinda' good. Not 'needed' but it would be nice. Don't you agree?

If you 'don't' agree you'd be saying having a little bit of help would be 'bad'. That wouldn't make any sense at all.
No, I don't agree it would be good or nice. And, yes, a little help would be bad in this situation. And it makes plenty of sense.

You don't need any help. You're doing just fine. Your mother is struggling.

I have nothing more to say.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:36 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,474,716 times
Quote:
I have refused to let her pay for things for so long that, as mentioned, I had no idea she felt some kind of way about it until recently.

My mom believes wholeheartedly that in order to receive in this world you have to give. Who am I to always take that away from her if she wants to give what she feels is a reasonable share?
Quote:
I do want to listen to her this time (she has been bringing up this topic of not liking that she has not contributed in the past for the past maybe year and a half now) and let her contribute in a way that is meaningful for (yet not detrimental to) her.

You know what? I know why you feel torn -- I would feel the same as you -- but I think you need to look at this from HER point of view. Yes, she is low income; however she saved up that money because she WANTED to. She wanted to feel good about her ability to pay her share. It's crappy to always feel like you can't contribute equally to "whatever." I've been there and after a while it feels like charity, even with relatives. Subconsciously she may even feel that if she's not paying her part, she shouldn't have any decision power about what you all do and where you go. (I know you don't feel that way but SHE might.)

Maybe you don't have to take the whole $1000 but consider taking $500 it for her sake. It will make her feel better.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:33 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,535,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
You know what? I know why you feel torn -- I would feel the same as you -- but I think you need to look at this from HER point of view. Yes, she is low income; however she saved up that money because she WANTED to. She wanted to feel good about her ability to pay her share. It's crappy to always feel like you can't contribute equally to "whatever." I've been there and after a while it feels like charity, even with relatives. Subconsciously she may even feel that if she's not paying her part, she shouldn't have any decision power about what you all do and where you go. (I know you don't feel that way but SHE might.)

Maybe you don't have to take the whole $1000 but consider taking $500 it for her sake. It will make her feel better.
Exactly.

I don't think people are considering that saving this money for this trip is a big deal to the Mom. To me rejecting her money saved up is devaluing her efforts. She has never been a saver. She is excited that she saved for this, why act like it is insignificant compared to what OP makes every day. OP could always open an emergencies for Mom bank account & stick the cash there for her future needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships