Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 02:40 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times

Advertisements

I think it's fair to mention that seeing as men have more muscle mass...they feel the need to move around more. I think it's like this from birth.

I remember teaching Sunday school to 5 or 6 grade school boys, and learning that if you give them something to do with their hands while they're supposed to be listening to you, say like coloring, they will actually absorb information better, than trying to insist that they sit there with hands on the table.

To me, that seems to correlate with what we're talking about here. Maybe men have a fundamental need to MOVE. Females...not so much.

Of course there's exceptions to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 08:19 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe because women do do it everyday or instead of doing something productive.
I'm thinking married women and/or mothers. Who has time to play video games for 3 hours.
To me, interacting with others is much more productive than trying to kill the opponent on a video game.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:22 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's not sexist at all.

Then give me some real examples of men discussing personal situations with their friends!

Old 11-16-2019, 08:27 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Then give me some real examples of men discussing personal situations with their friends!
While generally speaking they don't do so as much as women...... it happens all the time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-16-2019, 08:40 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
I worked in construction during my mid twenties to early thirties. For years, spent the majority of my time around men.

Men often get together to do things such as watch a football game, but they often get together at a bar as well where other than the occasional pool or dart game is mostly about talking.

Women get together to do things as well, as others have mentioned. But they also get together to talk.

The difference is what they talk about.

Women talk about their lives, and what's going on with the people in their lives.

Men tend to talk about less personal matters. How a hockey team is doing, what a good year some quarterback is having, what happened on a job they were on last month, ...

I once worked side by side with a guy for several months, at lunch in the dry shack with him every day, saw him at the bar on a regular basis, ... never once did he mention that his Dad was dying of cancer and his heart was breaking.

I cannot imagine working with a woman for more than a few days and not hearing about this.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Easy answer to that one OP:

Men mostly "parallel play" when they get together. Playing sports or video games together doesn't involve a lot of talking but they are comfortable just spending time together in things side by side. Men don't sit and "chitty-chat" or pour their hearts out like women.

Women prefer more intimate settings, such as sitting at a table in a restaurant so they can interact and talk about anything and everything. Visiting in one's home is usually too noisy to talk when their husbands are around, or they have no privacy to TALK ABOUT THEIR HUSBANDS LOL.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:33 AM

1,110 posts, read 897,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
To start, I know not ALL women are like this, but nevertheless, I have noticed something and would appreciate input. I have noticed that, for the most part, when women get together they will usually just sit around talking but really don't get together to do activities. Now sure that's fine and all, but I find it curious why that is, as in for example, with me and my guy friends we get together to do all sorts of things; play video games, go bowling (part of a bowling league), putt-putt, camping etc. etc. And while we all have jobs and some are married with kids, we can still call each other up and say "hey, want to get together and do x, y and z?" and usually don't have a problem finding guys to do so.

Or like last Saturday, bunch of bros came over, we played a few hours of video games then one of them said something about putt-putt and we all thought it was a great idea and we just all hopped in my car and off we went, after that I suggested some bowling and we did that, then all went home.

Yet it really doesn't seem as if it's really the same with women. Now, again, if they just want to talk that's well and good, but you look at say when women have girl's night out, they may go to a nice restaurant or something but still, they're really not doing that much different than when they're hanging out at home. Perhaps it's just me, but doesn't seem as if it happens as often among women where kind of like my example where say women get together, talk and then one might say "Hey, let's all go bowling, or play putt-putt" and they all just get into a car together and go out for some different physical activities.

Again, not saying it's bad, just an observation I find interesting.
I'm a woman; when I was single, I had time to "do stuff," and when I got married, I did not...I used to listen to music, make tapes and CDs of music, read, go to events, etc. I just do not have time for that now. i do find that when women are invited out as a group, it is for MLM such as Avon.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:50 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Might be location-specific.

In Utah, we had a women's hiking group. And a coffee/craft group, each once a week.

In Texas, the old girls got together for cards, dominoes and such.

Never did the nightclub thing as a group. Though we did drink, LOL.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:03 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
It's not really "isolating" when you're playing with friends, like in a game me and my friends play you can have up to 8 players and it's a blast. And I can have face to face conversations with others WHILE playing.
Sorry--but getting together to play video games? I think my sons did that a bit in high school.

How old are you?

Old 11-16-2019, 03:05 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

I once worked side by side with a guy for several months, at lunch in the dry shack with him every day, saw him at the bar on a regular basis, ... never once did he mention that his Dad was dying of cancer and his heart was breaking.
That is sad that he was not able/not comfortable to share what was going on in his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships