Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 01:47 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times

Advertisements

Some women like to shop together. I don't.

We get together and make art or do jigsaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 PM

439 posts, read 290,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Some women like to shop together. I don't.

We get together and make art or do jigsaws.
That's fine, but really looking at it, I think it's kind of funny how guys, say, get made of fun of for spending some hours playing video games, saying "Oh, they could be doing so much more productive things". Like, would me spending 3 hours playing video games really be any less "productive" than women that just sit around talking for 3 hours? Seems as if it could be argued just as much that they could be doing more "productive" things.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:59 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I work full-time, have 3 kids, and have my MIL living with me. So my girl time is much-needed DOWN time. I can take my kids bowling or to mini-golf, but I need a long dinner or a pedicure to catch up with my BFF.
I think Gus has a good point.

I think some women do, do, do and go, go, go that when they get together with their girlfriends they just want to sit and have a nice dinner/drinks and some QT.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:01 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
That's fine, but really looking at it, I think it's kind of funny how guys, say, get made of fun of for spending some hours playing video games, saying "Oh, they could be doing so much more productive things". Like, would me spending 3 hours playing video games really be any less "productive" than women that just sit around talking for 3 hours? Seems as if it could be argued just as much that they could be doing more "productive" things.
It's not about being productive. Unlike conversation, video games can be isolating and addictive. In moderation and as a social outlet, no one should be making fun of you for playing.

To go further, why not read up on what happens to your brain playing video games vs having a face to face conversation with other humans. I bet you'll find differences.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Gerobime, the long and the short of it is that groups of men and groups of women have different values and pursuits, and different intellectual interests and emotional needs from each other when either group gets together for recreation and fellowship with their friends. It has been that way since the dawn of humankind. That's just the way it is and it should not be questioned nor should it be suggested by members of either group that there is something wrong or unacceptable or hard to understand about what the opposite group is "doing" for activity. There is no need for the opposite group to understand and it wouldn't make any difference even if they did understand. It just is what it is, it's a normal aspect of human nature and always has been.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:36 PM

21,549 posts, read 8,729,914 times
I wonder if the reason could be that men see just sitting around talking to be somehow not manly, and that they feel more comfortable sharing their feelings with each other if there is some kind of physical activity involved so that there's something external to focus on.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I wonder if the reason could be that men see just sitting around talking to be somehow not manly, and that they feel more comfortable sharing their feelings with each other if there is some kind of physical activity involved so that there's something external to focus on.
LOL, it has absolutely nothing to do with being considered "not manly" and just that it seems men need more external stimuli than women.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It's not about being productive. Unlike conversation, video games can be isolating and addictive. In moderation and as a social outlet, no one should be making fun of you for playing.

To go further, why not read up on what happens to your brain playing video games vs having a face to face conversation with other humans. I bet you'll find differences.
It's not really "isolating" when you're playing with friends, like in a game me and my friends play you can have up to 8 players and it's a blast. And I can have face to face conversations with others WHILE playing.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:08 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
By the time you fine tune/define this hoped-for pigeonhole it won't hold any pigeons. What good will come of it? People differ. Including women.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:10 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Are you trying to do a female bashing thing?

I would venture a guess that if someone is shirking their responsibilities, by playing video games OR chatting with girlfriends...then it's a problem, WHOEVER is doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships