Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 04:50 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times

Advertisements

Dave has made it clear he doesn't want to chat with the OP, taking meals she's prepared into his bedroom to avoid talking with her over dinner, etc.

So it could be that wandering around in his underwear while in shared space is his way of avoiding conversation.

If he starts doing it again, the OP could sit down near him and start a conversation about how she realizes that he's lonely and this is his way of reaching out, so the speak, making a connection, trying to get her attention, ... and while she is far from comfortable talking to a man in his underwear, she will try her best, one human to another, ...

He will likely tune her out, so it doesn't matter what she says. But if he's lounging around appropriately attired, waiting for his dog to do his business or whatever, leave him alone.

If he is in his skivvies, chat him up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 06:50 AM

1,235 posts, read 945,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I have a male roommate (I'm a girl) and our relationship is completely platonic. He's ten years younger than me and I don't think he likes women very much, anyhow. He mostly stays in his room, but when he comes out to the living room or kitchen where I am and it's after 8:00 pm or so, he's always stripped down to his very minimalist undies, sometimes topped by a T shirt. If he's letting his dog out to do her thing, he just plunks down on the sofa or leans against the door for 10 minutes or so until the dog returns, showing himself off in all his unglory.

I have asked him if he wouldn't mind throwing on a robe before he ventures out of his room, but he just ignores my requests.

I don't consider myself to be a prude by a long shot, but I feel rather uncomfortable to have a semi nude man parading around in front of me whether I like it or not. And I would never dream of wandering around dressed equivalently (say only panties and a bra) in front of him.

Plus, it just feels rude and disrespectful that he would keep this up even though he knows it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Am I wrong to feel the way I do? Is it common practice these days for people to act like they're living in a military barracks with others of the same gender even if they are actually living in a private home with one person of the opposite gender?

Thoughts?
Depends how attractive he is.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:05 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
He sounds like a very unique individual, we used to call them characters.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:48 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Dave has made it clear he doesn't want to chat with the OP, taking meals she's prepared into his bedroom to avoid talking with her over dinner, etc.

So it could be that wandering around in his underwear while in shared space is his way of avoiding conversation.

If he starts doing it again, the OP could sit down near him and start a conversation about how she realizes that he's lonely and this is his way of reaching out, so the speak, making a connection, trying to get her attention, ... and while she is far from comfortable talking to a man in his underwear, she will try her best, one human to another, ...

He will likely tune her out, so it doesn't matter what she says. But if he's lounging around appropriately attired, waiting for his dog to do his business or whatever, leave him alone.

If he is in his skivvies, chat him up.

Oh, man! I just spit coffee all over my computer screen. IRL you must be either a comedian or a psychologist - or both. Your idea would work like a charm. With your permission, I'd like to include it in my book, "How to deal with unusual roommates with odd traits but you don't want to kick them out since you need the rent money."

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
He sounds like a very unique individual, we used to call them characters.
You don't know the half of it! If I had met Dave in my younger, more idealistic days, I'd have wasted all sorts of time and emotional energy trying to change him. However, in this case with age comes wisdom. I leave him strictly to his own devices unless something important comes up. Since I know that he will simply run back to his man cave the moment I open my mouth, I tell him to come outside and talk with me next to the barbeque pit. There's nothing worse than just me and an endless empty sky and miles of alfalfa fields. Poor man!

Old 11-19-2019, 11:56 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,245,912 times
Quote:
I have a male roommate (I'm a girl) and our relationship is completely platonic. He's ten years younger than me and I don't think he likes women very much, anyhow. He mostly stays in his room, but when he comes out to the living room or kitchen where I am and it's after 8:00 pm or so, he's always stripped down to his very minimalist undies, sometimes topped by a T shirt. If he's letting his dog out to do her thing, he just plunks down on the sofa or leans against the door for 10 minutes or so until the dog returns, showing himself off in all his unglory.

I have asked him if he wouldn't mind throwing on a robe before he ventures out of his room, but he just ignores my requests.

I don't consider myself to be a prude by a long shot, but I feel rather uncomfortable to have a semi nude man parading around in front of me whether I like it or not. And I would never dream of wandering around dressed equivalently (say only panties and a bra) in front of him.

Plus, it just feels rude and disrespectful that he would keep this up even though he knows it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Am I wrong to feel the way I do? Is it common practice these days for people to act like they're living in a military barracks with others of the same gender even if they are actually living in a private home with one person of the opposite gender?

Thoughts?
Not an attack but. Why didn't you talk about this stuff beforehand?

Old 11-19-2019, 12:33 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Oh, man! I just spit coffee all over my computer screen. IRL you must be either a comedian or a psychologist - or both. Your idea would work like a charm. With your permission, I'd like to include it in my book, "How to deal with unusual roommates with odd traits but you don't want to kick them out since you need the rent money."

I'm neither.

I'm a mother who raised a houseful of kids and learned the value of figuring out motivation early on.

Also learned that if I was going to use reverse psychology, I had to really sell it.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-19-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-22-2019, 06:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Not an attack but. Why didn't you talk about this stuff beforehand?
Exactly! This is renting with roomies 101. This stuff needs to be hashed our before the lease is signed.

Did think he’d act like this?? Well, it’s HIS home too... why shouldn’t he be in his underwear???

Op needs to update the lease and house rules before renewing with guy.. that way if it continues, she can legally serve him a notice to vacate and be done with it

Old 11-22-2019, 06:35 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Exactly! This is renting with roomies 101. This stuff needs to be hashed our before the lease is signed.

Did think he’d act like this?? Well, it’s HIS home too... why shouldn’t he be in his underwear???

Op needs to update the lease and house rules before renewing with guy.. that way if it continues, she can legally serve him a notice to vacate and be done with it
I don't get the outrage here - isn't at home the one place of all where you can walk around in underwear???

I rent out rooms to young students, mostly Germans and some of them cook in underwear, topless. I just enjoy the view, nothing wrong with it???

Why would your roomie have to fully dress to let the dog out late night? You want him to wear more clothes at home than if he goes to the beach? and you say half of the time he wears a Tshirt??

Old 11-22-2019, 08:54 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
My male roommate in college wore just his boxers near bedtime. And we did spend time in the LR together. I never thought anything about it.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:18 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't get the outrage here - isn't at home the one place of all where you can walk around in underwear???

I rent out rooms to young students, mostly Germans and some of them cook in underwear, topless. I just enjoy the view, nothing wrong with it???

Why would your roomie have to fully dress to let the dog out late night? You want him to wear more clothes at home than if he goes to the beach? and you say half of the time he wears a Tshirt??
?? Because a roommate isn't family? Why does sharing a 'home' make it ok to parade around in underwear? Some thing are appropriate and some aren't. You wouldn't walk around in your underwear in the grocery store just because you wear less at the beach would you?
I don't think signing a contract to share a living space somehow gives people the right to do anything they want within that space, without consideration for others. Would it be ok for roomie to have sex on the couch, trash the kitchen with dirty dishes and rotting food, have loud people over at 3 am, or any other obnoxious behaviors that would be fine if they lived alone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships