Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 01:00 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times

Advertisements

Several posters seem to be overreacting. Note that the OP wrote:

"Kicking my roommate to the curb would be an extreme solution to what really is a minor problem."

It doesn't sound like the guy is dangerous, untrustworthy, or a horrible person. But he is being disrespectful to her by walking around in his underwear. I think she just needs to be a bit firmer in getting her point across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 01:05 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'm guessing you live alone. When you live with other people, you can't do that.
Especially when you're living with other people that you're not related to or sleeping with.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:23 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Instead of complaining, why don't you either, a: get another roommate (preferably female), -OR- b: move.

Both solutions would solve your problem. See how easy that is?
Moving = easy? In what world? Not to mention usually requiring a fair amount of money upfront for deposits, etc. Just because some cretin has no respect for his roommate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
After reading your and everyone else's replies, I think that I will take your advise and buy my roomie a cheap robe at Wally World and when I give it to him, I will firmly tell him that he needs to cover up.
While you're at it turn the thermostat down a few degrees to encourage him to wear the robe.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,482,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I think you should be a little more direct and a little less polite about this.

"Please go put on a robe. I don't like it when you walk around the house half naked."

If that doesn't work, say the same thing the next time but with an angry tone.
And if that doesn't work, douse his pubic area with a glass of ice water. I know that would work on me.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:59 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I have a male roommate (I'm a girl) and our relationship is completely platonic. He's ten years younger than me and I don't think he likes women very much, anyhow. He mostly stays in his room, but when he comes out to the living room or kitchen where I am and it's after 8:00 pm or so, he's always stripped down to his very minimalist undies, sometimes topped by a T shirt. If he's letting his dog out to do her thing, he just plunks down on the sofa or leans against the door for 10 minutes or so until the dog returns, showing himself off in all his unglory.

I have asked him if he wouldn't mind throwing on a robe before he ventures out of his room, but he just ignores my requests.

I don't consider myself to be a prude by a long shot, but I feel rather uncomfortable to have a semi nude man parading around in front of me whether I like it or not. And I would never dream of wandering around dressed equivalently (say only panties and a bra) in front of him.

Plus, it just feels rude and disrespectful that he would keep this up even though he knows it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Am I wrong to feel the way I do? Is it common practice these days for people to act like they're living in a military barracks with others of the same gender even if they are actually living in a private home with one person of the opposite gender?

Thoughts?
He wants to make you uncomfortable so you will move.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:20 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Especially when you're living with other people that you're not related to or sleeping with.
Yes and no.

It’s his house too, unless he’s only renting a room and doesn’t have access to any common areas OR it’s in black and white in the lease or house rules.

Should he put pants on? Yes, he should, but unless the OP made that point clear from day one, it’s going to hard to force him to do it.

Easy solution? Don’t renew the lease and find another roommate and be clear on all your expectations.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:26 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Buy a pair of lounging pajama bottoms and give it to him as an early Christmas present.

Explain that when he wanders around in his underwear your thoughts go to places they shouldn't.

If he's got a place to live out in the country, where the rent is affordable and he can keep his dog, he's got a good deal. Unless he wants to be on Craigslist again, if he's a reasonable person, he'll put on the lounging pajama bottoms.

If he doesn't, ask him why he wants to move.

Good luck.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:32 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You aren't wrong to feel uncomfortable, but since he is ignoring your request to cover up, there isn't much recourse beyond looking for a new roommate. It wouldn't be a big deal to me, but I'm the only female in my household, and used to a short parade between bedrooms and the laundry room.
lmao. if that aint the truth. I tell my kids "get dressed." they yell back "I am"

Old 11-16-2019, 08:35 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
He's wrong to ignore your request. I would most definitely find another roommate. I am FAR from a prude, but I would not want my roommate running around in his underwear.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:25 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
I'm assuming that both you and your roomie are fairly young -- age 40 or less. Those of us who came of age before (roughly) 1980, particularly if male, grew up at a time when less personal physical privacy was the norm. We were more likely to share shower facilities in gymnasiums and college dormitories, sometimes without even the aid of stalls and partitions. A guy walking from his room to the "head" in as little as his shorts didn't raise an eyebrow (and the practice probably persists in military barracks to the present day).

I share quarters with two housemates -- one male and one female, and both about twenty years my junior. (I'm seventy - b.1949) Recent changes in my physical mobility have made it necessary to avoid climbing the stairs, and the one sleeping room available on the ground floor is not fully enclosable, so we make do as best we can (I prefer to sleep in no more than I wear to swim -- in other words, without a top). Most of the time, we can time our sleep and dress patterns to avoid much conflict, but problems will arise occasionally, Just part of the process known as daily life.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-16-2019 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships