Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 12:54 PM

484 posts, read 198,378 times

Advertisements

You need a roommates agreement like Sheldon and Leonard on The Big Bang Theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 02:34 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There's a reason a 50 year old man is still renting a room, and it likely has something to do with poor judgement and choices, this being one of them.
Yes, but more. This is someone who doesn't care about relationships with anyone else. Not saying thank you, not cleaning up after himself, not being civil, not honoring an understandable request to cover up...these are just symptoms of a bigger issue. A self-centered man-baby. If this has gone one a while, it may be a matter of too little too late in terms of ground rules. You either have to put up with it or tell him the lease won't be renewed and start advertising.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-17-2019 at 03:23 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 02:45 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I fail to see a problem here.

When I'm home, I dress like Winnie The Pooh- no pants, no undies, just a T-shirt.
I hope you warn your guests how unsanitary your home is.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:21 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Maybe all his furniture is impermeable plastic like an elementary school classroom. A wipe down with Lysol and you're good to go. Might be chilly on those nether regions in winter and sticky in summer however.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:51 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm assuming that both you and your roomie are fairly young -- age 40 or less. Those of us who came of age before (roughly) 1980, particularly if male, grew up at a time when less personal physical privacy was the norm. We were more likely to share shower facilities in gymnasiums and college dormitories, sometimes without even the aid of stalls and partitions. A guy walking from his room to the "head" in as little as his shorts didn't raise an eyebrow (and the practice probably persists in military barracks to the present day).

I share quarters with two housemates -- one male and one female, and both about twenty years my junior. (I'm seventy - b.1949) Recent changes in my physical mobility have made it necessary to avoid climbing the stairs, and the one sleeping room available on the ground floor is not fully enclosable, so we make do as best we can (I prefer to sleep in no more than I wear to swim -- in other words, without a top). Most of the time, we can time our sleep and dress patterns to avoid much conflict, but problems will arise occasionally, Just part of the process known as daily life.
Oh, my! If only. I am 68 and he is almost 60. I was never in the military and when I went off to college at age 17, dorms were NOT co-ed the way they are now. Women dorm residents (not the men, however) were even required to sign in and out if they left the women's dormitory after 10:00 pm. If a woman decided to stay out all night and party or - gasp! - spend the night at her boyfriend's place - we were given demerits. My dorm even had that old "at least one foot on the floor" rule. How stupid was that? Ah, memories...

Anyhow, by time my roomie hit college 10 years or so later, the fifties type rules that I had been subjected to had already been thrown out the window for years. Maybe this explains his casual attitudes - I've never asked.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Why would you think his home is unsanitary? As long as he showers daily, how is his butt checks any dirtier then hands?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There's a reason a 50 year old man is still renting a room, and it likely has something to do with poor judgement and choices, this being one of them.
Is the OP the home owner, or is she also renting?

Old 11-17-2019, 04:03 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that he wants to be left alone, so that brings up the possibility that he walks around in his skivvies, knowing that it bothers you, as his way of getting you to leave him alone. He appears to not have any of the social graces so perhaps is not aware that his solution isn't really acceptable.
In this, I think that you have hit the nail on the head. Even a 6 year old has a higher social/emotional IQ than he does. He needs to figure out that I have no interest in forcing him to spend even a minute in my presence if he doesn't feel like it. The skivvies are overkill.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:39 PM

484 posts, read 198,378 times
Quote:
ewww No kidding! I'd hate to be their guest.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:42 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
In this, I think that you have hit the nail on the head. Even a 6 year old has a higher social/emotional IQ than he does. He needs to figure out that I have no interest in forcing him to spend even a minute in my presence if he doesn't feel like it. The skivvies are overkill.
As long as you don't feel he is a danger to you, and he wants to be left alone and stays in his room, I'd say that he's a pretty good housemate, and one lacking in courtesy or empathy whatsoever. I think, again, if you don't feel he's a danger, that you should either endeavor to replace him if possible, or just ignore the underwear parade. Buying him a cover-up would just give him another chance to ignore your wishes. Surely he can be ignored on those occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships