Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 08:42 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The same guy? It's been years, hasn't it? Dave? Don? If he isn't an axe murderer yet, not likely he'll turn into one.
Yep, the very same guy - aka Dave. No, I've never been worried that he might be hiding an insane lust for blood behind his goofy persona. All things being equal, Dave is likely to continue hanging around forever or until I kick him out - whichever comes first. He knows he's got a sweet deal here that he's unlikely to find anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 08:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Yep, the very same guy - aka Dave. No, I've never been worried that he might be hiding an insane lust for blood behind his goofy persona. All things being equal, Dave is likely to continue hanging around forever or until I kick him out - whichever comes first. He knows he's got a sweet deal here that he's unlikely to find anywhere else.
So is his going pantsless a new habit???

Old 11-17-2019, 09:04 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. You could attempt to turn the tables and try to make him feel uncomfortable, or at least startle him, although he sounds insensitive enough that he wouldn't care.

-Wear a slip or shorty pjs of your own around the house a time or two
-Whistle or make comments about his (pale, hairy, skinny?) legs or his body when he pops out in his undies
-Buy a couple pair of sponge bob skivvies (or some other goofy design) and tell him if he's going to parade around in his underwear that he should at least make it entertaining

j/k, sort of

Old 11-17-2019, 09:20 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
GREAT question.

OP?

Old 11-17-2019, 09:38 PM

7,139 posts, read 4,546,769 times
It’s a big plus that you rarely see him. I wouldn’t care.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:29 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
He doesn't respect you.

The OP is a senior and disabled, so it's more of a safety and personal boundary issue than a romantic issue.

Not that seniors and those with medical issues can't date, but based on her posts this isn't the most likely motive.
Wait, the OP states she is "a girl". This now seems a little strange.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Wait, the OP states she is "a girl". This now seems a little strange.
It’s just a colloquialism. Lots of people of all ages use terms like girl or gal.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:50 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I have a male roommate (I'm a girl) and our relationship is completely platonic. He's ten years younger than me and I don't think he likes women very much, anyhow. He mostly stays in his room, but when he comes out to the living room or kitchen where I am and it's after 8:00 pm or so, he's always stripped down to his very minimalist undies, sometimes topped by a T shirt. If he's letting his dog out to do her thing, he just plunks down on the sofa or leans against the door for 10 minutes or so until the dog returns, showing himself off in all his unglory.

I have asked him if he wouldn't mind throwing on a robe before he ventures out of his room, but he just ignores my requests.

I don't consider myself to be a prude by a long shot, but I feel rather uncomfortable to have a semi nude man parading around in front of me whether I like it or not. And I would never dream of wandering around dressed equivalently (say only panties and a bra) in front of him.

Plus, it just feels rude and disrespectful that he would keep this up even though he knows it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Am I wrong to feel the way I do? Is it common practice these days for people to act like they're living in a military barracks with others of the same gender even if they are actually living in a private home with one person of the opposite gender?

Thoughts?

You should have chosen a female roommate. If I had a young female roommate, and if she came out of her room in her underwear, or (God forbid ) naked, I would be incensed ! Well, ok, maybe not incensed, but it would certainly get my attention.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
"Half naked" is a term I have always found wanting. It is akin to being half-pregnant.
A person is either naked or he is not. Perhaps "scantily clad" might be more appropriate.

If a person pays rent to be in the living room that person has the right to wear what he wishes.

OP is being unreasonable.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:11 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
That’s what caught my eye, too. If this guy is a longtime roommate, what might make him start doing this now? Maybe he thinks the rental is a super deal and he wants HER out so he can look for a male...pal...to parade around nude with.

Hard to believe what rentals have risen to in the area. West Slope Craigslist shows what renters are up against.

Also, is CR subletting the room or is it an informal roommate?

If CR asks him again to put on a robe or whatever and he continues to ignore her, it’s time to look at giving written conditions for the next lease term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships