Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 12:30 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times

Advertisements

I have a male roommate (I'm a girl) and our relationship is completely platonic. He's ten years younger than me and I don't think he likes women very much, anyhow. He mostly stays in his room, but when he comes out to the living room or kitchen where I am and it's after 8:00 pm or so, he's always stripped down to his very minimalist undies, sometimes topped by a T shirt. If he's letting his dog out to do her thing, he just plunks down on the sofa or leans against the door for 10 minutes or so until the dog returns, showing himself off in all his unglory.

I have asked him if he wouldn't mind throwing on a robe before he ventures out of his room, but he just ignores my requests.

I don't consider myself to be a prude by a long shot, but I feel rather uncomfortable to have a semi nude man parading around in front of me whether I like it or not. And I would never dream of wandering around dressed equivalently (say only panties and a bra) in front of him.

Plus, it just feels rude and disrespectful that he would keep this up even though he knows it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Am I wrong to feel the way I do? Is it common practice these days for people to act like they're living in a military barracks with others of the same gender even if they are actually living in a private home with one person of the opposite gender?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 05:48 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
As long is something isn't hanging out, I'd be fine.

In terms of "nakedness", what is the difference between this and everyone at the beach?

Old 11-16-2019, 05:50 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
You aren't wrong to feel uncomfortable, but since he is ignoring your request to cover up, there isn't much recourse beyond looking for a new roommate. It wouldn't be a big deal to me, but I'm the only female in my household, and used to a short parade between bedrooms and the laundry room.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:58 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,407,229 times
Maybe this is his subliminal way of saying he wants to hookup, have a roomie with benefits type of situation. Which is a very gross and immature way to go about it, if so.

He’s ignored your request to cover up and it makes you uncomfortable. I think you should start looking for a new roommate situation.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:00 AM

995 posts, read 510,443 times
Instead of complaining, why don't you either, a: get another roommate (preferably female), -OR- b: move.

Both solutions would solve your problem. See how easy that is?

Old 11-16-2019, 06:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Instead of complaining, why don't you either, a: get another roommate (preferably female), -OR- b: move.

And this time establish house rules that you both agree on and sign.. make it part of your lease agreement

Old 11-16-2019, 07:14 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
He doesn't respect you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
Maybe this is his subliminal way of saying he wants to hookup, have a roomie with benefits type of situation. Which is a very gross and immature way to go about it, if so.

He’s ignored your request to cover up and it makes you uncomfortable. I think you should start looking for a new roommate situation.
The OP is a senior and disabled, so it's more of a safety and personal boundary issue than a romantic issue.

Not that seniors and those with medical issues can't date, but based on her posts this isn't the most likely motive.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:16 AM

9,867 posts, read 7,740,106 times
That's disgusting. I'd tell him to throw on a pair of shorts or go find someplace else to live.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:23 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,300,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post

There may be a problem with either solution if a lease is involved and whose name is on it. Example: I have new upstairs neighbors as of October. They are extremely noisy and often interrupt my sleep with their loud behavior.

My solution? Yes, I plan on moving WHEN my lease is up the end of April. I'm not willing to jeopardize my good name and credibility by not complying with the lease. So I will live with this until the end of April. Thankfully I'm retired and can nap during the day.

Whoever holds the lease has the upper hand here. If it's a dual lease, there's not much she can do until it ends. Then she can move if that's the only solution.

Another thing she can do is buy him a pair of jogging pants and ask him to wear them when they are going to be in the same space. It may not work but it's worth a shot.

Yes, it will be money out of her pocket but, if it works, it would be money well spent.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:16 AM

17,755 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I have asked him if he wouldn't mind throwing on a robe before he ventures out of his room, but he just ignores my requests.
I think you should be a little more direct and a little less polite about this.

"Please go put on a robe. I don't like it when you walk around the house half naked."

If that doesn't work, say the same thing the next time but with an angry tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships