Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 05:34 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times

Advertisements

The title of the thread made me laugh but after reading through, I see how serious this is for the OP. Here is all I can offer to you, Stagemomma. First, a compliment. Your thread caught my attention and your writing is clear. Second, to tell you this post from VTsnowbird seems like the easiest solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
"Oh my - did you just say that out loud?"

"Why on earth do you feel the need to say that?"

And there is always the 3 second stare and immediate topic change. "So how about those Red Sox?"
Third, support. Come back here after Thanksgiving and tell us all about it. It is what my friends do for me after I have to meet with a certain family member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 08:50 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Here ya go.
Great comebacks.

Old 11-27-2019, 09:48 AM

20,761 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I know this thread it serious but I am having a blast reading it. Really cannot wait to read after thanksgiving on how it went. OP, you better report back to us (if you don't end up in jail for choking your mom).

Old 11-27-2019, 11:35 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Stay home. This is what hubby and I do. We enjoy each others company. The rest of the clan, not so much on major holidays. Regular family get togethers are much less stressful. Don't know why. Too much anticipation of a Rockwell Thanksgiving Day scene? Whatever the problem is, we shed it a few years ago.

Tomorrow we'll have turkey and fixins for two. We'll love every moment of it.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Stay home. This is what hubby and I do. We enjoy each others company. The rest of the clan, not so much on major holidays. Regular family get togethers are much less stressful. Don't know why. Too much anticipation of a Rockwell Thanksgiving Day scene? Whatever the problem is, we shed it a few years ago.

But you see that is too simple and logical for those who enjoy this type of drama.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:35 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But you see that is too simple and logical for those who enjoy this type of drama.
You nailed it. Those who complain most about the drama are usually the ones perpetrating it because they thrive on it.

And those same drama queens in our families now accuse hubby and I of being "anti-social" for not joining them on holidays. They've made us the bad guys. No doubt we're being dissected at the dinner table.... right after they all say Grace.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:51 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,098 times
Haha well the mother in law is here for the whole week (fun!) but it's not that bad. She's been cooking a lot and my girls have been eating well.
She's here for the week because she flew in from California.
Husband's parents are divorced so we have to fly out to California to see fil next week. He can't come here because he takes care of his 90 year old mother.

I like fil. He's a decent guy. Then again he never gave me a reason to not like him.

Old 11-27-2019, 03:52 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,098 times
Quote:

That's because your husband doesn't force you to spend time with people you hate.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
You nailed it. Those who complain most about the drama are usually the ones perpetrating it because they thrive on it.

And those same drama queens in our families now accuse hubby and I of being "anti-social" for not joining them on holidays. They've made us the bad guys. No doubt we're being dissected at the dinner table.... right after they all say Grace.
No, you and the husband are the smart ones.

I love the Grace comment....LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
That's because your husband doesn't force you to spend time with people you hate.
Are you living in 1952? No husband or wife should "force" their spouse to attend or spend time with people who make you miserable.

I know of a couple of situations(and I am sure others on here do as well) where the husband or wife attends their side of the family functions on their own, it's easier and better in the long run for everyone involved.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:00 PM

119 posts, read 105,005 times
(1) You can only control your reaction, not what other people do or say.
(2) You cannot change other people.

Don't go. Say you have other plans, or call and say you are sick.

No adult should be complaining about holiday plans. Its your own fault if you choose to put yourself in situations you don't enjoy. There's no law you have to engage people who make you unhappy, whether or not they are related to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships