Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 04:28 PM

497 posts, read 423,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Thank you, Ruth. I really appreciate it.

My birthday was on November 5th. Two days prior, my brother sent me a follow request on Instagram and wished me happy birthday on the 5th as well as my sisters (and parents through her).

Then last Thursday, my sister sent me a message to tell me my father had something to tell me. I responded on Friday asking her what it was about. I waited to days to weigh the pros and the cons and sent my response and well wishes on Sunday. My brother sent me his hateful message on Monday evening when I was at work.

I think they wanted to utilize my birthday as an excuse to reach out and fool me into the idea that they actually "care". Seemingly, my birthday didn't seem to matter last year or the year prior.

To the bolded part: I wholeheartedly agree. Parents love their children unconditionally and selflessly. Their love is clearly conditional on me providing them with money. The sole fact that they asked me for money right after sending me birthday wishes (after 4 years of no contact) is telling. As far as my brother's hate goes - he doesn't realize that I stopped caring what they think 4 years ago and when I cut them off then, I never intended on re-opening the door in the first place. They departed my life 4 years ago.
I agree with you OP.
My family is toxic and the worst is as I age, I don’t have good support in my circle. I try not to rely on coworkers as that can be too much on them and you should be more professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 04:48 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,259,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
send 'em $20
I wouldn't even do that.
I'd tell them 'em to "Ask God for it." and then cut 'em off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I would have told them how broke you were
Kind of like what I tell Timeshare Guy.... "I spent all of my money to get here!"
For some reason they weren't all that interested in talking to me after that.

Last edited by eaton53; 11-28-2019 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-28-2019, 04:58 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Block them all, especially your brother, and don't think another thing about it.

Don't respond to any more messages.
this, and go back to therapy.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:11 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The pain never goes away.

But counseling can help recognize what's going on and make different choices.

This would be particularly helpful in forming new relationships, creating a family that is functional and supportive.
This.

Cut them off entirely, get good counsel (professional, support groups, friends ... wherever). You will never change them. Ever. You can only change how you react to them.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:07 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,741,327 times
I went back to therapy yesterday. It will be a long process, but I had been doing all the preliminary work in the last 4 years, so this episode was more of a release.

The therapist told me the following after I explained what happened:

- The episode probably brought you a sense of relief (in relation to the guilt & fantasy I had been carrying along in the last 4 years after cutting them off initially).

- There is also grief resulting from this which I will need to naviguate as this episode marked a sharp closure which I hadn't gotten in the past.

When I was telling her the story, she immediately said: "It's a bit below the belt" when I reached the part where they wished me a happy birthday and went straight to asking me money a few days later after 4 years of no contact.

She said I will need to work on self-parenting moving forward.

This was my first session with this therapist, so I'm not yet sure how good she is at her job, but she certainly picked up on my feelings and took words out of my mouth.

It's almost been a week and although the beginning of the week was extremely rough as I certainly was experiencing grief, I now feel as though the guilt & burden of the fantasy have now been lifted off my shoulders. I don't feel any sense of guilt in relation to cutting them off in the same fashion I had been feeling in the last 4 years and I definitely no longer hope or dream for them to change their behavior/perspective. The beginning of this last week marked a significant emotional low, but the good thing is that I allowed myself to feel and process the pain and emotions triggered by this episode. The fact that I took the step to go back to therapy is indicative of the fact that I will not let this drag me down, but I will need to face my feelings in order to reach a healthy emotional state.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:01 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
LostinPhilly, thank you for the update. I am glad that you are doing better.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:38 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
I went back to therapy yesterday. It will be a long process, but I had been doing all the preliminary work in the last 4 years, so this episode was more of a release.

The therapist told me the following after I explained what happened:

- The episode probably brought you a sense of relief (in relation to the guilt & fantasy I had been carrying along in the last 4 years after cutting them off initially).

- There is also grief resulting from this which I will need to naviguate as this episode marked a sharp closure which I hadn't gotten in the past.

When I was telling her the story, she immediately said: "It's a bit below the belt" when I reached the part where they wished me a happy birthday and went straight to asking me money a few days later after 4 years of no contact.

She said I will need to work on self-parenting moving forward.

This was my first session with this therapist, so I'm not yet sure how good she is at her job, but she certainly picked up on my feelings and took words out of my mouth.

It's almost been a week and although the beginning of the week was extremely rough as I certainly was experiencing grief, I now feel as though the guilt & burden of the fantasy have now been lifted off my shoulders. I don't feel any sense of guilt in relation to cutting them off in the same fashion I had been feeling in the last 4 years and I definitely no longer hope or dream for them to change their behavior/perspective. The beginning of this last week marked a significant emotional low, but the good thing is that I allowed myself to feel and process the pain and emotions triggered by this episode. The fact that I took the step to go back to therapy is indicative of the fact that I will not let this drag me down, but I will need to face my feelings in order to reach a healthy emotional state.
I'm glad counseling was good for you. Posting here has also helped you see what they're doing to you plus it's cheaper lol

Old 12-01-2019, 02:19 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,741,327 times
Yes, indeed!

My apologies, I forgot to thank everyone who has kindly helped and contributed to this thread. I sincerely appreciate all the comments and support provided. It is also interesting to see I am not alone experiencing such estrangement.

Perhaps one day I'll meet a great man and I'll have children of my own or at least welcoming in-laws I can call family; or at least have a solid group of friends around me. That's what l I can hope for moving forward.

Thank you all & I wish you a wonderful holiday season

Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,714 times
Quote:
I think it's sad they've undone 4 years of hard work on my emotional and mental well-being. I finally felt more or less free from their influence, burden and pain. Now, I will have to go back to therapy and work through these emotions all over again. God only knows how long it's going to take me this time around.
Firstly sorry for the length:

I can't tell you how much your story resembles mine. I'm going to hit the high points because it lends weight to what I'm going to say at the end.

Eldest, daughter, scapegoat, physically, emotionally (worse) and verbally abusive upbringing. I was forced into the unwanted role of "little mommy" to my many siblings, the dutiful and silent daughter which I chafed under.

Parents joined a religious cult in my teens and ended up moving to a commune several thousand miles away. I married very early to "get out of the house" but it was a bad marriage to a "high value" but verbally abusive emotionally unavailable man who wanted me dutiful, quiet, pretty and under his thumb. (A very familiar pattern.) I woke up enough to understand where my life was headed and I divorced him striking out on my own essentially cut off from my family who were furious about my divorce. I went to therapy and got heathy enough to build a good career and remarry a good man.

Parents eventually broke from the cult after giving them every dime of their life savings but wouldn't disavow the cult or apologize in any way for what they had done. I lived several thousand miles away but was always recruited to help in times of trouble. The old dynamic would rise up every time I would go back to visit or help. So I would stay well away for years between family deaths and calls for help, only calling very briefly a couple of times a year at holidays, only getting called when someone died or they needed help. I didn't feel emotionally healthy enough to have children and not pass this on so I didn't. It turns out to have been a very responsible decision.

30 plus years pass this way on this emotional seesaw, my father dies early, my mother immediately remarries an old high school fling. She inadvertently tells me after having had too much to drink her secret that she had tracked that man's whereabouts and life details throughout her life and that we were essentially the "wrong children" and that's why she couldn't/wouldn't love us, especially the older children who are essentially viewed as servants in one way or another to her. This was something that I had intuitively grasped from a young age, knowing a "great passion" had gotten away but couldn't entirely put together. Having gotten the entire picture I got to a good therapist right away and spent a couple of years on and off working through the layers. Painful but productive. Worth every dime, every minute and every tear.

I eventually had to make a total break from my family after trying again with a healthier psyche. I have another sibling that finally saw the light a few years ago and is in therapy now that I'm in contact with, the rest remain under the influence of the chaos that is our mother and now my brother who has taken on the mantle of family abuser. I probably won't return for any family funerals. I will send flowers and condolences. It helps that I'm 2000 miles away. There will be no opportunity for the misuse of the moment for airing of grievances, recriminations or ganging up on the family scapegoat. If they do, they are welcome to do it behind my back. I don't care.

So here's what I want to say: Work your therapy. It's not important that you go every week but during times of progress that might be necessary but actively work the program. Doing so saves time and money.

Read suggested self help books, write in a journal, maybe support groups if that option is available. Take what you can use, leave the rest for another time or maybe it won't ever apply. Spend some time in meditation whether it's active or passive like walking in the woods alone. Feel those terrible feelings, do the grief work, then give yourself a break to really enjoy life and let what you've learned settle in and fit comfortably on your shoulders.

At all costs protect your golden goose that allows you to remain free of your family, your job, your friends/found family, your life that you build outside of their influence. Resist the urges to "give it another go" because unless there is significant changes on their side, it will AGAIN be a completely one sided relationship and will lead to heartache and relapse. Give your "found and chosen" family a break from the insanity that you are dealing with which is why journalling is so important. Most people will never be able to process what you are dealing with.

Realize that your progress won't necessarily be linear and don't beat yourself up over that. You have been subjected to a lifetime of trauma and it will take some time to unwind it but there is true light and real progress at many points throughout the work of getting clarity. This is just a temporary setback and the work that you did previously will be work that is built upon in this and any other round of therapy. You probably have a head start frankly because for decades I was in semi-denial and blamed myself for everything, failing to fit in, to make my family love me and that was a HUGE impediment to my progress. It didn't allow me to see that people outside of my family loved/liked me for who I was without attempting to please them or somehow earn their regard which is self defeating.

I've had to go back to therapy for 3-4 session tune-ups every now and again after the major work was behind me because the life I'm living isn't necessarily "normal". I have learned to say that "We don't have much family." which is a very truthful (especially on my husband's side) answer for what we aren't doing for the holidays and why we don't mention family in any context. It avoids the urging of reconciliation for the "sake of family" from people that have no real interest in your welfare and absolutely NO IDEA how dysfunctional and harmful families can be. Your situation isn't a mere disagreement about what color to paint the living room or how to arrange the furniture metaphorically speaking. It's the demand to remain in a burning house to continue rendering demanded service by the arsonist/s that set it ablaze, a true existential crisis.

I feel your pain. Your story, while different in some detail is my story. There is life, joy and love through and on the other side of this. I promise. ((((Cyber hug))))

Last edited by AK-Cathy; 12-03-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships