Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 01:31 AM

5,490 posts, read 3,934,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Sean became a radiologist, makes $565,000/year. Still friends.
I found this number hard to believe. Google sez:

'The annual median pay for an entry-level radiologist was $206,920, or $99.48 per hour, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in May 2016. Experienced radiologists may make as much as $470,000. Developing strong relationships with physicians can lead to an increase in patients referred for care'

So I still find it likely to be a bit inflated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Curious how your cluster of early deaths compares statistically to general population. Too small a sample size of course but might be worth looking at your hometown.
Two of the three early deaths she mentioned we're dementia/Alzheimer's; if there are environmental components to those, then that's news to me. I'd assume those to be genetically dictated, but I ultimately am ignorant on the topic. Cancer can of course be a different story

Old 12-09-2019, 02:10 AM

I'm 33, not *too* far removed from a Buffalo NY high school that was remarkably non-cliquey and socially inclusive, which I think promoted the formation of friendships across 'typical social barriers' or what have you...there was no 'jock' or 'nerd' subset here, really. Which was, well, good and probably somewhat unusual, judging from the experiences I've heard from others. Anyway, here goes my effort at a top five, which is made tougher by the fact that a couple of the people who've turned out to be my closest friends from high school were not as close to me then as they later became:

--Closest friend, who actually transferred to his local suburban public high school at the start of his junior year, leaving me somewhat crushed, is a pharmacist/pharmacy manager in Northern Virginia in the exurbs of DC. He graduated from college with a dual major in three years, started law school after a gap year, dropped out, then did 5 more years of schooling for pharmacy. An atypical career path to be sure. He and I still talk on the phone every few weeks so I remain somewhat aware of new developments in his life.

--Second-closest, whom I barely spoke to during HS but became friends with initially through Facebook conversations on mutual friends' posts, had some tumult during his college years, took courses at a few different institutions before settling on nursing school. He became a 'travel nurse', did short stints in a couple different places before his girlfriend convinced him to give up the nomadic life and to make Florida their permanent home. So he's now a nurse in the Orlando area, living in some sort of gated community in the 'burbs that sounds way too um conservative for who he is as a person--claims to be loving life, however. A Central Florida apologist if there ever was one.

--Third-closest, whom I was friendly with during high school but not 'top five'-level at that time, is a professor of philosophy at Villanova University. He did engineering as an undergraduate at a Jesuit college in MD (our high school was an all boys Jesuit school and so sent a disproportionate number of graduates to Jesuit colleges), then returned to Buffalo for his philosophy Ph D, at which point we got back into touch, mostly through our shared interest in soccer (well, and philosophy). He's lived a pretty interesting life, having initially served as an 'end of life issue' ethicist at a hospital in TX before taking the position he currently has.

--Fourth-closest was probably second-closest during HS--extremely intelligent but somewhat unfocused person, sort of a textbook ADhD case in the years right before that diagnosis became so common, helped teach me to play poker (which is what I do to make money) as i watched him play 16 tables simultaneously online...he initially had designs of going to Stanford, then Miami FL, then Boston College...well, he ended up staying at the hometown university and mostly 'slacking' his way through an undergrad degree in psychology. His real degree was probably in video games. He's had a variety of uninspiring customer service and telemarketing-type jobs, although I'm not even sure what he does now--he and his girlfriend lived in Manhattan for a couple years, so I always assumed she had some decently-paying job. He now lives in northern NJ right outside NYC; we stay in touch primarily through a fantasy football league we've played together since high school.

--Fifth-closest was third-closest in HS and was good friends (best friends, really) with the guy just described. The best poker player I'd ever seen at age uh 16, I kind of assumed he'd end up doing that professionally, as he showed little interest in the courses we took together during school and was always interested in gambling and gaming more generally. He did also have a passion for the stock market though, and so he ended up getting a business degree, which he parlayed into a quick rise up the ranks of an office furniture company, leading him to whatever position he has now, CFO I think. After a stint in Iowa of all places, he's geographically the closest to me of these five, being near Rochester, the 'next city over' from Buffalo. His wife is a native and pushed for their return. As with Friend #4, we stay in touch through that fantasy football league, which he has run from the inception 20 years ago when we were 'merely freshmen' (cue that '90s alternative song)

It's a shame that we're 0-for-5 on 'people currently living in Buffalo' here, given that I remain in said city.
'

Last edited by Matt Marcinkiewicz; 12-09-2019 at 02:29 AM..

Old 12-09-2019, 02:10 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post

'The annual median pay for an entry-level radiologist was $206,920, or $99.48 per hour, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in May 2016. Experienced radiologists may make as much as $470,000. Developing strong relationships with physicians can lead to an increase in patients referred for care'

Maybe he is the owner of a radiology lab, with sweetheart deals with all the local hospitals. Radiology is a license to print money.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Maybe he is the owner of a radiology lab, with sweetheart deals with all the local hospitals. Radiology is a license to print money.
Yeah, it's certainly possible. Quoting a specific number like that does lead me to believe that Jonathan LB knows it for a fact, lol--or at least has heard that exact number from his friend.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:04 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,662,411 times
It's been about 40 years since I saw any of them. No desire to see them. People change.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post

Having recent experience with needing radiology appointments, I can tell you that at least here, there is great demand, and some places are 3-4 weeks out for an appointment. Several times I have been sent to another location when mine was booked up. So if an experienced person works overtime it's easy to see them making close to $500,000.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:10 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
I still have 7 high school friends that I know what happened too.

One is a right wing nut job and she was just as nuts in high school. She lied about a home invasion and her dog saved the day. I don't know why she lied about that, it was easily confirmed that it wasn't true. That friendship fell by the wayside in high school. We reconnected briefly after a high school reunion. Unfortunately she has Leukemia. She unfriended me on Facebook because she was spreading that Russian troll crap and I pointed out some facts she didn't like. No great loss, she was always a bit of a wingnut and now, an evangelical fanatic.

One friend was in the same room with me when her husband was my patient. I was super busy and didn't have much time to talk to her. I didn't recognize her but a group of us who grew up together met up at her house. I recognized the house from the pictures. It blew my mind when I realized that he had been my patient. They have a beautiful house and the gardens are amazing. She can't leave much because her husband is a quad. I talk to her a lot on Facebook. She's about 2 hours away.

My best friend in school lives in California, never worked, and has an amazing family. I see her about once a year.

One male friend lives in the same house he grew up in. He had custody of his two daughters. He's very sick from smoking and has had multiple strokes and heart attacks. His daughters are useless, and the house is a train wreck.

Another married well and has a great life, but, she doesn't really fit in with the group of us. She has a bit of an entitled mentality. Her and I are the only ones with any real money, but we are quite opposite. I'm very quiet about it and she likes to flaunt it.

One friend is the older sister of my best friend in school. We get together when she comes home. She was a realtor and lives in Arizona in the winter and comes back here for the summer. She brings her two Yorkie's to visit my Yorkie. I love that. Unfortunately, her husband died shortly after they moved to Arizona. It's hard for her out there as she hasn't had much time to make friends.

Unfortunately the last high school friend died last year in her sleep at 62. She went to bed with a high fever and never woke up. Her life was a tad chaotic and always full of drama. She was not married when she left us. I suspect there was an element of mental illness judging from her Facebook posts, but she was still loved by many and very much missed by her family.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:11 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
We'll go with high school friends.

1) Zach - died by suicide at 27.
2) Colt - probation officer and minister on the side.
3) Levi - got married at 21 to a 17 year old and had four kids. He later had an affair with a younger coworker then married her. Not what would have been expected from him.
4) Tim - got his engineering degree and left town after Zach died. He never dated as far as I know, and got married a couple years back.
5) Chad - became a local teacher.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:37 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
I lost touch with my high school friends when I moved from Ohio to L.A. after college. Just this past month I went on the reunion committee's FB page to find out about our 50th reunion this coming June. They had a list of "those we have lost". Turns out all of my best friends from high school are dead. Kinda creeped me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships