Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 06:14 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times

Advertisements

In general my high school friends either got married young, had kids, got divorced, and meander from job to job near my hometown (West Phoenix suburbs) or joined the military and moved away or came back to do civilian work at the base.

My college friends spread out all over since the City where I did my undergrad has a depressed economy.

My law school friends are everywhere and I see them as opposing counsel quite frequently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
I am no longer in touch with my childhood best friend who is really the only person who I’ve ever considered a best friend. Last I heard, she had earned her PhD in something related to biology and was living in CA. I hope she’s happy and doing well!

Old 12-10-2019, 09:31 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times
I assume 'school' meant from kindergarten on up.

I can only remember two people, both from grade school, and I have no idea, as we lost touch when my family moved.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:12 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Ooh, fun. I had five close friends in high school.

The first moved a few hundred miles north of where we grew up (I moved a thousand or so miles south), but we talk every day. She got married, had a handful of kids, got divorced, got remarried. She's doing well and is happy. She mostly stayed home with her children and now teaches here and there.

The second moved to the middle of the country. We are FB friends and not really in touch. She's a teacher and is married with a couple of young kids.

The third stayed local and is doing the job she wanted to do since we were in high school. Married with one child. Only in touch occasionally via FB.

The fourth (my best friend in high school) is working and married, still lives local to where we grew up. She has one young child and seems happy. Again, only acquaintances via FB.

The fifth had a bit of a rough time of it after high school but is now working in a lucrative field that I suspect she loves. She is married and due with her first child in a few months. We are FB friends and chat occasionally. I'm really happy for her; she seems to be in a good place.

I wish I'd kept in better touch with people, but I had my children young (in my early to mid 20s) and most of my high school friends (other than #1 above) were still in the partying/dating around/finding themselves phase. Which is fine and normal, of course, but it made it hard to really stay connected when I was dealing with diapers and breastfeeding and no sleep. That's life!

Old 12-10-2019, 02:12 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
I had childhood friend couple years in grade school. But school was freakish about keeping certain age groups together and away from other age groups. He was year younger and I aged out with different time recess, lunch, etc. Rural area and not like he lived next door.

No school friends after that, not Jr. High, not high school, not college, least not more than short term acquaintance type friendships or some dating. I have no idea what became of any of them, and really doesnt matter.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I found this number hard to believe. Google sez:

'The annual median pay for an entry-level radiologist was $206,920, or $99.48 per hour, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in May 2016. Experienced radiologists may make as much as $470,000. Developing strong relationships with physicians can lead to an increase in patients referred for care'

So I still find it likely to be a bit inflated.
Ha, I mean you’re welcome to but he started at $465,000 and got a new job earlier this year at $565,000 when he didn’t make partnership because the old company was sold. I don’t know what those people are doing, I don’t know any doctors who make $200K though. General practitioners maybe?! My friend works from home now too, even better. He was night shift at his last job and still is, but now he’s off by midnight instead of 8 am. Usually it’s one week on, one week off, but weeks on are about 70-80 hours I believe. My friend had a 1590 SAT, got into Stanford, and was always top of his class plus went through about 3 sub-specialty programs so maybe that’s why his pay is way higher.

I will say the pay and situations must vary a lot. I had a friend of a friend who was just about to graduate from med school and was telling me it’s “impossible” to find a radiologist job anywhere in a major city and arguing with me about it. I just said, dude this isn’t my fight, my good friend had no trouble at all getting a job right out of school in Orlando. He had many offers and all in major cities. It’s probably like anything though, coming out of a top school with top grades and going through many years of internships at very low pay eventually pays off. I know my friend said none of those internship years paid over $50K, so he was making mediocre pay until he was about 33.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:20 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,551,381 times
All great, the guys are still great guys and the women beautiful and happy. It amazes me to look back on the kids we once were and to now see couples that formed, kids that were produced, successful lives. Makes me feel good to have consistent friends that I've known for decades.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:25 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,730 times
I only had three real good friends. We were together in school from K-12.

Eddy became an LAPD cop, like me. Worked an undercover detail for years and the stress caused a fatal massive coronary at the age of 38.

Rudy enlisted in the Army and was KIA in Viet Nam in 1970.

Steve enlisted in the Navy and was killed by a drunk driver just outside his base in Florida in 1971.

I really miss those guys. I've never had friends like them since.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:12 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
One died in a car wreck.

One took off to travel and be a groom for race horses, I don't know what happened to her after a few years of popping up occasionally and then disappearing again. She really liked that vagabond life.

One of them got married, had a kid, got a divorce, and the last time I heard form her, which was many years ago, she was living on welfare.

I really don't know what happened to anyone else from my high school age and I never had close friends from college because I was commuting to classes and working and didn't have time for school type socializing. I had fun acquaintances but no close friends from college

Old 12-15-2019, 08:00 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,910 times
E - happily married and had a beautiful rainbow baby in April (still friends)
S - graduating from grad school in the spring (still friends)
L - left this small town behind and is a very talented photographer in a city
E2- Moved south, good job as a petroleum engineer
K - Moved south, just got married, works in finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships