Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 03:20 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times

Advertisements

The five or so of my high school friends that I would consider the closest are either working standard type jobs and have kids and live in the relative area, or are single and just working and hanging out.

My college friends are more of a mix.

One I'm pretty sure was never able to graduate and get a career. He might be one of those guys who is still 40 and can't find a job.

One killed himself of depression in his mid 30s.

Another designs video games for a living.

In terms of who does what job, and who makes what $, it really doesn't matter unless that person really likes their job and believes in the mission.

And I'm not really sure how much that is true for any of them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 08:07 PM

272 posts, read 131,049 times
One is prison for raping a woman in the late 80s. The last time I looked on the Inmate Finder, he's up for parole in 2022.

One is an alcoholic like me. I stopped drinking in the late 80s. I do not know if he did or not.

Most of my friends drifted away into the mists and deeps of what was.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:18 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
I'm not lying here. All 5 are divorced with kids OR getting divorced with kids. All husbands are total tools. Ugly, ugly divorces and even uglier custody battles.

I'm the only one who never got married and didn't have kids. They all envy me

Old 01-04-2020, 02:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
ive got 1 close friend from childhood he lives nearby and we watch sports/football games..

been great friends since we were 7

Old 01-04-2020, 02:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm not lying here. All 5 are divorced with kids OR getting divorced with kids. All husbands are total tools. Ugly, ugly divorces and even uglier custody battles.

I'm the only one who never got married and didn't have kids. They all envy me
and their was probly a time... before the divorces you were envying them???

Old 01-04-2020, 08:34 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,674,107 times
We were a "six pack" in HS. Very middle of the road middle class suburb of Dallas.

Shell - moved out of state, works average job and happily married mother of two.

Jen - stayed local, works average job, happily married mother of two.

Fern - stayed local, works average job, happily married stepmom of one.

Amy - stayed local, works average job, happily married mother of one.

Jenn - stayed in state, works average job, happily married mother of two.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Hmmmm, I didn't have five best friends but I did have five friends I was pretty close to in high school. And I went back for my 35th high school reunion recently (wow, that makes me feel old) and so it's pretty fresh on my mind.

One friend is a top real estate agent in her smallish home town just outside of Atlanta. She seems very, very happy. Her husband is a high school football coach. They haven't moved from that area. Her family roots go WAY back in that area.

One friend is a NICU nurse and her husband is an attorney. He was previously in the Marines I believe. They moved but not all that far away. They live in a larger city and bought a historic home in the historic district.

One friend teaches English in China. She's a lesbian but not married or in a relationship that I am aware of - she didn't mention anyone special. She travels extensively.

One friend works in a public school office and her husband is a firefighter. They still live in the area, but moved out into the country.

One friend has been married at least five times and has had a life of non stop drama. She's still drop dead gorgeous and has modeled for many years. She and the real estate agent I mentioned first are the closest of all five friends. Though I enjoyed getting seeing her again, frankly I am pretty appalled by her life but oh well. It's her life, not mine.

Even though I haven't lived near any of these friends since college, when I had surgery, two of them called me just to lift my spirits. Didn't message me, they called me. I loved that. Two of them (not the same two) hung out with me for several days when I went to the reunion too, even though my husband and I were staying at a hotel. I really enjoyed that.

I just realized that with the exception of the friend living in China, all the others live in very old, historic homes. I mean, like VERY old - 100 years or older. They are all very involved in decorating and maintaining these homes and they love them. I just thought that was an unusual coincidence - probably NOT a coincidence since interior decorating is a passion of mine as well. The friend in China - our common denominator is that we both have a very irreverent sense of humor! But then so do these other friends, who also all still stay in touch with the woman living in China.

It was great seeing all of them again at the reunion. One thing that struck me is how affluent that area just outside of Atlanta has become. They all seem to be enjoying life, which is the most important thing in my opinion.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:10 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
and their was probly a time... before the divorces you were envying them???
No I was the hottest and still am...But that's besides the point. They envy me because I don't have those issues in my life like they do. They all married total losers

Old 01-04-2020, 03:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,939 times
Picking the first 5 close friends from elementary to high school I could think of (I don't necessarily know what happened to my other bfs from elementary school).

1. Became a successful lawyer, single, still holding a grudge re: the mean girls from elementary school, not sure how happy she is
2. Became a successful nurse with a masters, married, two step-kids and 3 biological kids- seems happy
3. BA, currently does freelance graphic arts, married, two kids, happy
4. PhD in stats now a professor, married, divorced, married, no kids, very happy
5. DVM, been working as a scientist for years, no marriage, no kids, not so happy

Old 01-06-2020, 11:29 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,575,062 times
I dint have 5 best friends all at the same time but from JK until university, I had 5 really good friends.

Alpi is working with Disney as a project manager; we still travel together for holidays along with our hubbies and my kids. Still talk to her at least once a day, everyday. Happily married, no kids.

Nags is homemaker and we talk at least once every 3 days. Happily married with with a kid

damn. that's it. No more "best friends".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships