Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 01:04 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,755,532 times

Advertisements

Didn't talk to anyone in HS, not much has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 01:18 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,220,487 times
I totally lost contact with my 5 closest friends from high school due to my drinking and subsequent abstaining. I had to quit hanging out with all my friends to keep from drinking. But have gone to reunions and kept in touch with a few.

Ashley, with no college education created a data base that went nationwide and is still in use.

Betty, became HR director in a large well known insurance company.

Cecilia, became a recluse that haS had no contact with anyone and likes it that way.

Dan, married and runs 3.2 beer joints.

Fred, married twice and sadly ended up an alcoholic.

My college friends were very distant as I married in first year. Don’t know what happened to them and don’t keep in touch at all except one has a gallery and is a well known artist.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:53 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
and their was probly a time... before the divorces you were envying them???
Speaking for myself, I used to envy my married friends back when I was single. Now I am grateful I married much later than they did. I got to date around a lot and it was fun and I also had an exciting life. While they were spending their youthful years with one partner, stuck at home. Now a lot of them are divorced and trying to date again but it's harder, as they are they are doing the cougar thing in bars.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:12 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Grew up in England, went to a girls’ high school in the early 1960s and didn’t go to university (did go to a secretarial college for a year).

T - main best friend from high school. We’re still in touch and I always stay with her for a few days whenever I go back to England. She visited me in Australia some years ago. Two children, then a surprise 3rd baby when she was 47! Although I love her dearly, really the only thing we have in common now is our history and our mutual 1960s friends. She’s as happy as a lark, but very eccentric!

S - also from high school. She married young, no children, and was blissfully happy until her husband died when he was 40 - more than 30 years ago. I visit her too when in England. She seems content now after a very long period of mourning - she has many friends and travels a fair bit, but still has some of her husband’s coats etc in her hallway closet which she can’t bear to part with.

V - from high school. Lost touch with her for a number of years, but reconnected at a school reunion. She had what appeared to be an ordinary, but happy life (no children), but sadly died from cancer a couple of years after that reunion.

D - from nursery school - also went to primary (elementary) and high school together. The extra- brainy one. She became an electrical engineer and later headed up a number of engineering associations. She is well known in her world.

D - from college. She was the daughter of a big-wig (working in London) in what was the Rhodesian Government. She disappeared from college the day of the Unilateral Declaration of Independence on 11/11/1965 (returned to Rhodesia in a hurry) and I haven’t seen or heard of her since. I believe that had she not needed to leave when she did we would have become firm and life-long friends - but who knows?

I keep in touch with several other old school/college friends - from more than 50 years ago. Over the years I've hosted any number of their assorted young adult children doing the “one year back-packing in Australia” thing. Just for a couple of days in most cases! It’ll be their children before too long!

Old 01-10-2020, 10:28 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
Had 1 good friend and a couple other "regular" friends.

Last time I saw J, was over 20 yrs ago. He did not seem like he was going down a good path. But that was a long time ago and I am far from where I was back then so who knows.

P went down a few paths but always turned out ok, was always kind of a lonely guy. Haven't seen him in a long time but would guess he is fine.

My best friend and I did not talk while I was in college but then reunited afterwards. He never went to college. Worked as a security guard for a university, used that to earn a free basic Unix credentialing certificate. His neighbor got him a starter job at a bank and he's been there ever since (30+ yrs) and worked his way through various positions and management changes. Is a Director there now I think and successful in terms of income. Good guy, nice family. It's been about 11 yrs since I've had contact with him. His bank was in a building connected to and destroyed by the 9/11 attacks. He made it out but his description of events was horrifying. I should reach out.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:27 PM

417 posts, read 268,070 times
4 best friends from Junior High through high school. We were tight back then, but life drew us onto different paths.
We all either joined the military or were drafted.
Lost touch with them after about 10 years.
Today, 3 dead (1 from suicide, 1 from cancer, 1 from war)
The other one retired from Civil Service in other part of country. No contact with him for 20+ years.

What a long strange trip it's been

Old 01-11-2020, 08:56 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
My five best friends at school were actually six, and it was my MBA group from S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management. That's your question, right? "Best friends at school," lol.

K is a GM at a tech startup, leads the engineering group. He's brilliant. We hated each others' guts but worked together as a high-performing team because we're both adults and never let animosity get in the way of business. He and I turned in some great assignments together; there was simply zero small talk.

H is a Sr. Dir in Marketing at World's Largest Software Corporation. He screams high performance, an MBA was icing on the cake. They just had their second child. I'm sure he's a great dad, all part of that Indian "life plan" so many seem to have. I liked this guy, almost.

J graduated Suma *** Laude, "with honors" from a program that flunked out Mensa members (I came in 40/83 and was damn glad for it). She runs an executive coaching firm in Vancouver, BC, and consults with big names and also works closely with Cornell alumni association to recruit more women to the programs. I doubt she could keep a relationship going to save her life, too high-performance and probably 170 or so IQ.

L is a senior IC at Telus, enjoying motherhood as much as her career. She just missed "with honors" at graduation, smart as a whip to say the least. You'd never know it, she kept her own counsel when she could. The most thoughtful of the bunch.

A is a financial group lead at a household name equities firm in Vancouver, BC. Bet he clears close to half-mil/year anymore. A man who can blend into any group and be high performance.

Ali runs a consultancy with quite a few working for him anymore, in telecom. They bill by the hour, he has a great client base. He enjoys time with his family as much as working, and has the latitude to take it.

I'm No. 7, Principal Program Lead at a major hospital system. IC at the moment, which suits me fine. I'll mosey onto the next problem space as a consultant at some point, probably Dir, VP, or Principal level and bill the heck out of them. May go part time because the money's good and I'm on track for retirement goals in 10 years (or 15, if I so choose and the economy cooperates).

Oh, yeah: we all had to meet a steep bar to even get into Johnson, Class of 2009, because the Ivies don't admit idiots. I was humbled my many of my peers, but did belong there and held up my end for the team. The six above? I didn't really "like" any of them, other than Ali, and we were "best friends in a high performance business team, thrown together on careful consideration by the coaches of Class of 2009, to simulate a real-world board or other high-performance team that may need to work together at a Fortune 500."

Nope: not a one of us is dead, or in jail, or whatever other dumb crap happens to zeros.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:38 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,361,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
i was going to say - who has five best friends?
My brother. Many of his close friends never left town once they graduated high school/college. Few of his friends returned back home eventually for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Didn't talk to anyone in HS, not much has changed.
I was exactly like that too. Strange how my brother & I were polar opposites when it came to friends. We both had same parents but different upbringing. From a young age, I felt the world was against me so keeping to myself was something I could control. While he may seem popular on the outside & holds down a decent career, I’ve noticed he seems to have a bit of a problem with drinking while being married raising kids.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:07 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
Most got masters from good universities and doing well.

One now a great photographer which was something she discovered after school. Loves teaching it too.

One very successful in a tech job. Very pretty and very nice and social. We thought she'd marry an exec but she became one herself. And says she is happily single.

Another went from at least 400 lbs in college to about 95 lbs in a few decades. Could really stand to add a few pounds now but happy.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:11 AM

922 posts, read 792,451 times
I really only had 3 close friends during my high school years, and none of us went to the same school.

Janice- was my best friend since the 4th grade and we went to junior high together. She got married and divorced, then married again. They had 3 boys, who are now all married and she now has 2 grandsons. Her husband was a bank president, and fairly well known. She did a lot of volunteer work while raising her sons, but never had a career. They are still married and have lived in the same house for almost 40 years.

Lisa- we met at church, and played guitars and sang in the youth choir. Her dad was a deacon at the church and everyone thought he was wonderful, but was a tyrant to his family. She got a degree and worked in Hawaii for many years, where she got married and had two sons and a daughter. She does not have any grandkids, and still lives in the house where she grew up.

Jeannie- she had a pretty troubled life even though her family life was stable and she had great parents. She started running away when she was about 17, and lived on the street for many years. She got married and had two kids, which were taken away from her when they were young by her ex-husband, and she lost touch with them. She eventually ended up living in the mountains, and still lives there with her 2nd husband in a very nice cabin. She has had a few odd jobs, but never had a career. She also has no grandchildren, at least that she is aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships