Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 01:26 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times

Advertisements

How successful in life were your 5 best school friends?

Morris became a fairly successful artist, but mostly lived with his mom down south. He's the only classmate I kept in touch with..

Harry became a psychologist, went to Hollywood, and had a few minor stars as clients.

David was in charge of the jail as a deputy sheriff out west

Both Bobs became grunt workers in the home town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 01:43 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
I don’t think most people had 5 close friends at one time. Unless you’re really loosely defining it. But if I had to pick 5 including one or two casual group friends...

Sean became a radiologist, makes $565,000/year. Still friends.

Bryan became a trailer editor in Hollywood, has cut Game of Thrones promos among others.

Another Sean became an animator in Hollywood, not sure how well that went. We aren’t in touch and haven’t been for ages.

Bernie is CFO of a biotech company. We’re still friends; we weren’t that close in high school.

Hard to say who might be 5th, but let’s go with Ben. He got schizophrenia sadly and, well, didn’t amount to much... not his fault. Just sad, he was a great guy.

Another mutual friend of Bryan and I works for a pro sports team high up in the ticket sales office.

I wasn’t friends with some of the others, but Sam is a Grammy award winning musician and became quite famous. Another played in the NBA with several teams, among classmates. I had classes with one but wasn’t friends. The other was upper class and I was casual friends with his younger brother, mutual friend of Bryan too.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:29 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
i was going to say - who has five best friends?

Old 12-08-2019, 07:35 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
I had one best friend in high school. Ken became a successful book publisher and concert promoter. He lives in a beautiful house north of Seattle.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:43 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Two became terrible racists, one found kindness and peace in her life. Oh wait you want to know about careers as defining success. Well the first two had successfull careers but miserable marriages and are still hateful people. The one who found peace is a professional dog trainer and loves her life.

I only keep in touch with the dog training friend.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Thankyou for the pm comment, you know who you are

Old 12-08-2019, 08:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
I never had five best friends at the same time or even in high school . Only two and that was because my mother chose who I could be friends with . I don't care to associate with anyone from high school because all they do is bring back bad memories . The only two are from college and im still friends with them today .

Old 12-08-2019, 08:49 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
i was going to say - who has five best friends?
I didn't have five friends in high school -- never mind five best friends.

My one close friend died in a car crash at the age of 22.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:24 AM

416 posts, read 409,216 times
Good question

One stayed exactly who he was. Bounce from mediocre job to mediocre job but is happily married. Continues to be very overweight and probably will have a shorter lifespan as a result. Gave him a job when he was out of work for six months and he did OK for about a year. Then went back to his typical job hopping and we’ve lost touch. Felt a little burned

Second one married a very unattractive girl the second he turned 18 to get away from a bad home life. That did not work out and they divorced within a year and he joined the Air Force. He traveled the world got married a couple more times but is generally successful and works in business consulting. Lives in Australia now

Third. Had joined the police force and eventually worked his way through a variety of jobs within that organization. Still there to this day. Still horribly underpaid for what he does and constantly has a side hustle going on. We don’t talk but I stay in touch through his family

Other friends just meandered off in the life. Some had spurts of success but Facebook shows nothing amazing. With a couple friends from my 20s I learned that business and friendship do not mix.

Of all of them I’ve had the most success and most stable family life. Not saying that makes me better in anyway but maybe the boring work hard and focused one.

I tell my kids now to enjoy school but remind them that it does not define them. There’s so much more to life after. Sadly for some Of their friends I can already tell they have peaked and life will be a slow downhill slide

Old 12-08-2019, 11:47 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
I had several very close, out of town friends in high school (college & beyond) through a political organization.

My very best friend became my husband. He was a trial attorney with several advanced degrees, and probably the smartest person that I have ever met. Sadly, he developed a type of early onset dementia in his late 40s and passed away at age 65.

My best female friend received her doctorate, published numerous books and was a tenured professor at a prestigious University. She developed early onset Alzheimer's and passed away at age 52.

My second best female friend also received her doctorate, was a pioneer in her specialized area and was a tenured professor at one of the best Universities in her field. Sadly, she died from cancer when she was about 40.

My two close friends at my high school both had average jobs (one a nurse the other worked in an office), average lives, and (I believe) average marriages but they are both still alive at age 67.

I had an average career (as a special education teacher) and an average life and I am still alive at age 67.

I wonder if there is a message in what happened to all of us?

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-08-2019 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: added more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships