Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 03:08 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehotseat View Post
Bad news. I caved into the advice here and provided my parents with the free texting app number that works on Wifi / data, and an actual assigned phone number for regular cell service / texting, so 2 numbers to reach me. What happened yesterday? I can't log into my phone, I try to swipe the lock screen up, the cursor flashes and it doesn't let me type in the password, so the phone is useless. It's now in safe mode (Moto G 4th gen.), and I may have to do a hard reset and lose all my data if I can figure out how. Since I can't log in, I can't see or answer texts, nor calls. I do have an old back up phone whose plan is expired that I could go out and buy a prepaid top up voucher for, but I don't know what to do with the newer phone whose monthly service is active but unusable.

Also in other bad news, the airbnb I'm at that costs $65/night hasn't had aqequate heating in days, I'm tried from long shifts and lack of sleep, plus Thursday I have to move out because the house is rented out for the holiday period. So I'll be temporarily homeless in 2 days... until I find another temporary airbnb but I can't use the phone app since I can't log in. Nothing is going right for me it seems.

Should I tell my parents what's going on? My dad doesn't like to hear about problems, only solutions. So that's why I usually keep info from them because to me, no news is good news, whereas they think no news from me = bad news.
There are millions, millions! of us out here who have a stable home/apartment and a reliably working phone. Why is this all so difficult for you to master? There is really no excuse for it if you are gainfully empolyed, however precarious. Do what the umpteen millions of us do. SUCK IT UP and behave like the adult you say you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 03:23 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,474,716 times
Quote:
Nothing is going right for me it seems.

Oh stop. Just stop. You have a job, parents who give you money when you don't ask for it, plus they care about you and want to make sure you're OK. You have very little responsibility in terms of having to take care of a home/apartment. Your moving around and unreliable phone situation is of your own making. You complain that you don't have freedom but you do. Lots of it.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Right, I regret telling them I have to move out every weekend..might as well tell them everything is fine if that's what calms them down. This instability is my problem to deal with. Besides I'm going to end up in another airbnb in the near term anyway.
Right.

Take your phone in to the carrier's store and let them fix it for you.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:46 PM

89 posts, read 48,427 times
Actually I just got shafted when I returned to the $65/night airbnb room (higher than my usual budget) and found that the heating system shut down and hasn't worked at all since I checked in 2 days ago. I should be calling them for a refund because the host is jerking me around stalling claiming an HVAC repairman is coming but I'm still waiting! I'm using a mini portable heater in the bedroom while the rest of the house is freezing cold. So yeah, things aren't exactly looking up.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:48 PM

89 posts, read 48,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Right.

Take your phone in to the carrier's store and let them fix it for you.

I hadn't thought of that, but thanks. I think I remember where I bought it. The only issue is that if they fix it they can read all my personal data, texts, contacts , so I preferred figuring it out myself with online resources , guides, before bringing it to a professional

Old 12-17-2019, 04:02 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,115 times
Quote:
I hadn't thought of that, but thanks. I think I remember where I bought it. The only issue is that if they fix it they can read all my personal data, texts, contacts , so I preferred figuring it out myself with online resources , guides, before bringing it to a professional
They don't CARE about your personal data. Why would they? Are you some sort of superspy? Secret Hollywood celebrity? Foreign gov't agent? NOOOO! I didn't think so. THEY DON'T CARE and why would they take the time to read through all your boring personal (like all of ours) info!!!! They want to keep you as a customer, that's all. Get it fixed, stop being so paranoid and get on with your life.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
My experience going to the tech person they do it right in front of you so you know they aren't doing anything they shouldn't. I think you really need your phone to work.

As to the rest, it's temporary. Yeah, it sucks about the heat but you do have the little heater. Carry it around with you if you change rooms. I had to do that a few days when my heat was out. I fell in love with that little heater!

You're feeling too negative. When you say things are not looking up. You're not headed downward. This is a mere inconvenience.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:42 PM

37,620 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
A true adult would recognize that parents worry about their children, no matter how old they are. A true adult would be mature enough to send off a quick text saying "all is well, will reach out when I have some free time".

I don't see the drama on the part of your parents. That is coming from you.
That^^.

Good grief OP. Grow up.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:26 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
They don't CARE about your personal data. Why would they? Are you some sort of superspy? Secret Hollywood celebrity? Foreign gov't agent? NOOOO! I didn't think so. THEY DON'T CARE and why would they take the time to read through all your boring personal (like all of ours) info!!!! They want to keep you as a customer, that's all. Get it fixed, stop being so paranoid and get on with your life.
The OP needs to go to therapy to get to the root of why she thinks everyone is trying to steal her personal data. That’s not to say that some people aren’t trying to get it, but I doubt the run-of-the mill tech person is going to go pilfer her information while trying to fix the phone RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER. It’s the same with getting an apartment. Most people do it at some point in their lives or get a mortgage. It is part of being an adult.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:23 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
My concern is that it's a matter of control. I want to be in control of when I respond to an email or text at my convenience. Ever heard of the expression your urgency is not my emergency?

I've explained to my parents in the past that I'm OK don't worry if you don't hear from me in a while, you can assume I'm OK.

I just want to be able to live my life alone and not answer to anyone but my boss. Is that too much to ask?
If you don't have "issues" in the sense of a toxic/abusive history with your parents, you should call them once a week, and it is courteous to respond.

I have one sibling that periodically goes radio silent with my parents. It's usually a bad sign with his personal life.

Nothing that you've described is out of the ordinary for parents..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships