Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 06:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Wow, this sounds like something I could write. You're a lot like I am. I am a positive person and I try to not to hang on to negative memories regarding how others behave and/or what they have done to me. This includes platonic friends as well as a past boyfriend. I secretly forgive these individuals without informing them that I've done so and I never tell them of their offenses because they tend to get so "hurt" and make me feel like the meanest person in the world; like I'm being judgmental so I just don't even bother telling people about themselves. As you've said, over time I forget the gory details and later the person and I cross paths again either in real life or the virtual one. The friendship or relationship is rekindled. Soon, their behaviors that I find problematic resurface and I remember why I stopped being close to the person in the first place.

I too wonder how to morally handle these situations. I'll be reading the responses to your post for information that I can use.
I didn't plan it that way, it just happened naturally.

I tend to "forget" what people have shown me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 06:45 PM

Weird Update:

I was in my house, working on something and looked up and saw her waving to me from across the street.

I was in my house.

She was picking up her grandchildren at a school close to my house. She parks across the street from my house while she goes to get them.

I went into the "other room" and hid until I was sure she was gone.

So thankful she didn't come knocking at my door. She had messaged me today about something else, so it's getting real now.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:53 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Weird Update:

I was in my house, working on something and looked up and saw her waving to me from across the street.

I was in my house.

She was picking up her grandchildren at a school close to my house. She parks across the street from my house while she goes to get them.

So thankful she didn't come knocking at my door. She had messaged me today about something else, so it's getting real now.

You don't like confrontations. I get that. Neither do I. However, the woman knows this about you. But she doesn't care or respect you enough to leave you alone.

If she comes knocking politely tell her you're busy at the moment and politely say goodbye

Then shut the door.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:20 PM

35,066 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Weird Update:

I was in my house.

My opinion, candor time. You shouldn't duck and hide.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
You don't like confrontations. I get that. Neither do I. However, the woman knows this about you. But she doesn't care or respect you enough to leave you alone.

If she comes knocking politely tell her you're busy at the moment and politely say goodbye

Then shut the door.
Yes. I hate confrontation!

I prepared myself that if she knocked, I was not going to answer and then would have messaged her to always text first before coming over!

Old 12-16-2019, 07:37 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
I already like you ....but you need to 'man-up' a little bit....

Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Ha Ha. I'm working on it!

Old 12-16-2019, 07:54 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:
Ha Ha. I'm working on it!
You'll be fine, just remember to make yourself #1.......

Old 12-16-2019, 08:08 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
The woman in question has zeroed in on the OP because she knows the OP is willing participant in this dysfunctional "friendship."

If the OP truly wants to rid herself of the woman she needs to start setting boundaries.

Over the years I found myself in the OP situation twice but in both instance I couldn't avoid the person.

It was uncomfortable but I eventually learned to say no and stopped all contact with them.

However, I did need to ask why they zeroed in on me? Like the OP I willing went along with them for a number of years. It wasn't until I tried to pull away that things got weird.

It wasn't fun but I had to set up boundaries and not allow myself to get sucked into their dysfunctional world.

They weren't necessarily bad people...just a bit f-ed up and I'm not a therapist

Last edited by john3232; 12-16-2019 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-17-2019, 09:47 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't like the phrase 'ghosting', it sounds rather benign for something that is basically cowardly. You don't need to go into detail, just tell her you don't feel like are very compatible anymore and that you think it's best for both of you to go your separate ways. There's no need to leave her hurt, confused or wondering when/if you'll contact her again.
Stopping contact might be classified as “discretion being the better part of valor” in some cases. Sure, close relationships are owed the respect of explanation, but IMO, casual relationships that are challenging do not. I doubt that this “friend” will go quietly, however she is let go. That is why some of us are recommending finesse.

This is a challenging situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships