Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 11:03 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I can't believe no one is wondering how it's even possible that 8 individual people have decided not to "like" someone....in college????

And wanting to be a teachers pet? Huh??????

I'm thinking that OP isn't telling the whole story? Disappointed that an assignment at an art exhibition wasn't responded to with more enthusiasm.....
Read my post - it's easy to see how this can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 11:09 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Read my post - it's easy to see how this can happen.
I do understand your point but OP is stating how "horribly" she's been treated...I guess I just can't see 8 people going out of their way over a silly brown-noser. Lol.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:17 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
I do understand your point but OP is stating how "horribly" she's been treated...I guess I just can't see 8 people going out of their way over a silly brown-noser. Lol.
LMAO!!! Thanks for the laugh!

I think when one is usually teachers pet - just being ignored might be viewed as horrible treatment. Know what I mean?

Old 12-16-2019, 11:20 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
I can't believe no one is wondering how it's even possible that 8 individual people have decided not to "like" someone....in college????

And wanting to be a teachers pet? Huh??????

I'm thinking that OP isn't telling the whole story? Disappointed that an assignment at an art exhibition wasn't responded to with more enthusiasm.....
Do we know if the OP is in college, or high school? College students don't usually refer to instructors as "teachers", but as "professor". Who tries to be the "teacher's pet" in college?

OP, where are you in your educational career?

Old 12-16-2019, 11:32 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
OP-
As suggested...re schedule for a class that you receive proper instruction/support.

I came from a private school environment. It was completely feasible for the teacher and the "click" to oust a student. It stayed that way ...as a way to suppress.

Please accept my apologies for persons who choose to mock and presume you are the problem. I tend to see when a person has insight and a sense that they are being rebuffed it's most likely true.

I find nothing comical when a student seeks proper instructions and education to be the pawn of a social group rebuking.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:29 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraredRoses View Post
I'm having a dilemma. My art teacher is rude. I can't think of what I did to him for him to not like me. I was always the teacher's pet. I do everything I'm suppose to. I am very friendly towards my teacher and classmates.

I emailed my teacher about the art essay because he wasn't clear on what he wanted on the paper. Since he doesn't reply to MY emails, I saw him during office hours and he had a real attitude with me. Ever since then it was negative. The students treat me horribly. I asked three of the students if they wanted a ride home because our teacher randomly let us out an hour and a half early. The three students were scrambling for rides and the one girl said she took the bus, so I offered to take them home and didn't care the distance. They looked at me weird and didn't even saying "No, I'm good." Or even respond back to me. They treated me like I was a parasite. They just went out in the hallway.

I felt bad for the fact that they were scrambling for rides and a bus schedule. I have a perfectly full size car that can fit three other people, so why not ask them if they want a ride home right? They just made me feel like a creep for even asking them. It's a very negative class. My teacher walks away from me as I'm talking. He says "Hi" to everyone that enters the classroom except for me. I am so confused because I was always friendly to him. A requirement is to go to a museum and send proof of yourself being there. So, I sent him this video of this beautiful artwork and I sent him a pic of myself with a piece of artwork. That is what's required.

He never replies to my emails and he didn't reply. So, I asked him in person when class came if he received the pic and vid, and I expressed how much I loved the psychedelic art. He gave me a quick curt response "Yeah I received it. Nothing to talk about." I thought that was so rude! Because I was so excited about that piece of art and he was just rude about it.

I might have to take other classes of his but I literally was suffocating in his class with his energy and the 7 other students energy. I don't know if I should approach him and ask what his problem is? What would you do in a situation where you can't think of anything you did wrong, you are polite, and the teacher plays favorites and shows his hatred for you? I honestly never want to deal with him again but his classes fit so well with my schedule come spring. I would not even address him if it wasn't for the fact that I might have to take more of his classes for the spring semester. I have very limited options with the specific classes I need to take and the schedule. Of course my teacher's classes fits well with my upcoming spring semester. What would you do?

I say this kindly. I think you just need to dial back 'you'. Maybe you're not local to the culture where you are. Like, maybe you're a southerner going to school in NYC. Your friendliness (which you mentioned many times) might come off as 'too much' and 'over the top' if you're an outsider.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:17 PM

25 posts, read 13,545 times
I maybe shouldn't have used the word "Teacher's Pet". What I basically mean is that I am very respectful towards teachers and very nice. I listen to their instructions, rules, etc. I pay attention. That's what I basically mean. I'm not a slacker when it comes to my studies.

Also, yes I attend a community college and I am 26 years old. I am not a high schooler. Again, I apologize for not using the word "professor" either. It's "tomatoe tomahto" to me to use "teacher" or "professor".

I am not flirty by any means. I think that is gross. I am naturally boisterous and outgoing. I wasn't emailing him alot, it's just that when he handed us the syllabus he didn't put down clearly what he wanted on the art essay. I simply emailed him asking if he wanted me to just write about the art piece or how I feel about, or if he only wants the details of the art piece, etc. He didn't respond to my email, so (as on the syllabus) I went during his walk in office hours to talk to him. He was very irritated and explained it to me what he wanted. I left and understood. I only emailed to let him know the two times I wasn't making it into class and if he needed a doc's excuse. He didn't reply to my emails so I gave him one anyways when I saw him. He just looked at me in a bitter way.

I noticed if anything he flirts with the one girl. He was kinda inappropriate. He is always complimenting the other students and I am just quiet in class and keep to myself. I only engaged a "Hi" and "Bye" with the students.

When I say the students "hate" me. It's because they are very clanish and strange. I introduced myself and the girl sat next to me the first day. We talked about art and how much we love Picasso's work. Then the following week she sat next to someone else and I have no idea why. They all give me stare downs and seem to not like me. The students talk to each other but they ignore me. I was always just friendly with them. The teacher is always saying how this student is great or beautiful but leaves me out of everything. He is always engaging with them and just acts like I'm a parasite. It honestly hurts my feelings. I'm not this obnoxious person who is like "I have all the answers" and interjects all the time. Because of the suffocating cloud of negativity, I'm always silent actually. I can barely breathe in that classrom because the negativity towards me is thick.

Also, I just feel like a parasite to all of them. I mean not even one out of the three would take up my offer on offering them a ride. They couldn't even give me a response like "No, thanks." They just looked st me weird like it was so strange to ask that and went out in the hallway. Like ok? I didn't know being nice and helping out was a bad thing.

The teacher is so rude. Because I was really passionate about that art piece and he dissed it and dissed me essentially. My excitement. I did what I was suppose to be doing and he acted like I was a nuisance for even emailing him that. He also said "You gave me the pamphlets that's all I needed." Uh? It even says in the syllabus he wanted a picture with the art work and you have to take a selfie or someone has to take a picture of you with the art, ALONG WITH PAMPHLETS FROM THE MUSEUM! so I did that. I did what is freakin required!

As I was talking to him he would just interrupt me or walk away. I asked him if I could make up an exam when I went away on my family trip. I said "If it's a huge problem, then I will just attend class and not miss the exam. I just want to know if you're ok with me missing class or not because it's packing day for our trip." He just walked away mid sentence and greeted another teacher there. It was rude and he didn't answer my question. So, I ended up dragging myself to class to take the exam so I wouldn't miss class because again, didn't give me an answer! Just blatantly rude towards me.

His schedule meshes so well with the classes I have to do. There's only one other class I can take with a different teacher. I'm trying to work what's best for me and my job. I can knock out four classes in a day working with this teacher, than going 4 days a week at different times with the other teachers. It just sucks because the negativity of that class was suffocating me. I really cannot figure out what the problem is? I was just cordial and nice. I am a responsible student. I just wanted to make sure the things I was suppose to do were right, that's all! It shouldn't be an issue because someone emails you about certain assignments that are unclear Or a responsible student gives you a doctor's excuse and let's you know why they won't make it to class. I did nothing wrong to my knowledge. I'm in a loop because I either knock out 4 classes in one day with the upcoming spring semester with this rude negative teacher? Or I work around my job schedule and exhaust myself going to school four days a week with a different teacher?

Last edited by InfraredRoses; 12-16-2019 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 12-16-2019, 03:16 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
Roses, if everyone is reacting to you this way, it's got to be something in how you approach people. Have you taken any other classes at the community college? Have you run into this in any other setting? Do you work? Do you run into this at work, too? Do you have an active social life, or have you run into this problem before?

If this art class is the ONLY setting where you're having this problem, something very strange is going on. If it's happened or happening in other settings, you need to go see a therapist about it - it is something in how you are approaching people.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:28 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
I tried to read closely: are you male or female? Are most/all of your fellow students male or female? I believe you stated that the "teacher" was male.

I had a similar experience with a male yoga teacher. I was the only male in the class, but the rest of the class was female. During class, he was curt with me. Passing in the locker room, he totally ignored me if I said HI--not that there should be excessive talk to others in the locker room. In the hallway, he was equally dismissive. All of the women just LOVED him and he clearly loved interacting with them--me: not so much.

Not really a big deal, but I thought it quite odd. A lot of the other students (all female) were equally dismissive of me, and seemed to be thinking of me as some sort of interloper or pervert. I just did yoga. Shrugged it all off.

Sometimes instructors are intentionally vague, so as to see if anyone blossoms. Just go to class, be quiet, keep to yourself pretty much, and do your best--even more than your best--to wow him with your actions and art, not your words. This too, shall pass.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
It sounds like you're expecting you are owed personal individualized attention from the teacher and other students in the class just because you are all together in the same class. Forget about them and focus your attention strictly on the reason for you being in that class. The reason you are there is to learn something about art, you aren't there to socialize, to find common ground and make friends or to be one of the teacher's favourites. None of them are required to like you.

Regarding your kind offer of a ride being refused: instead of you thinking they all hate you, you could give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they were being cautious about accepting a ride from an unknown driver whose driving skills are unknown to them. They don't know if you're a good, safe driver or a dangerous, careless driver. If I had been there in the same circumstances I would not have accepted an offer of a ride from you either since I refuse to put my life in the hands of somebody I don't know for sure is a good driver who is qualified to transport passengers. I also value my privacy and wouldn't want a stranger taking me to my home address unless that stranger is an on-duty taxi driver driving me home in a taxi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships