Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 04:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times

Advertisements

OP- is this a mixed age class or are most people in the class in their late teens/early 20s? I can see that being an issue too. I agree with the other poster that many people don’t want a ride from a person they don’t know. That is not really that unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 06:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Don't approach him. It's a class. Go in, take class, go home. Repeat daily.

SEVEN people and the teacher that didn't "like" you? Common denominator and all that...

And how many emails did you send?
This.

It’s the teacher’s job to teach, not be a students friend.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:59 AM

1,045 posts, read 759,897 times
I'm an introvert so it doesn't bother me to not become friends with classmates and co-workers. I look at it this way: I'm only there to get my education/earn a living. I treat people politely, and that's it. I've never encouraged friendships - if they happen, they happen. If they don't, that's fine too.

OP, just go to class and do what's required of you to earn your degree.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:25 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
Who cares it’s a class and he is a teacher you take the class and then move on. It’s a bit more concerning why the other students treated you that way. Are you a bit counter culture? Any odd grooming habits or lack there of? Anything else unusual about the campus or art class?

Old 12-17-2019, 10:22 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I'm an introvert so it doesn't bother me to not become friends with classmates and co-workers. I look at it this way: I'm only there to get my education/earn a living. I treat people politely, and that's it. I've never encouraged friendships - if they happen, they happen. If they don't, that's fine too.

OP, just go to class and do what's required of you to earn your degree.
Who expects to become friends with classmates? That sounds like an expectation an emotionally needy person would have. Usually, IME, friends are made in the dorms, and in clubs and other student activities. I don't think the OP was saying she wanted to be friends with her classmates. She was saying that for reasons beyond her understanding, they seem hostile to her.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:39 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Stop emailing and stalking this art teacher.

If you have to, take his class and then leave. Don't engage.

He doesn't like you, stop pushing yourself. You will only continue to alienate people.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:49 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraredRoses View Post
I'm having a dilemma. My art teacher is rude. I can't think of what I did to him for him to not like me. I was always the teacher's pet. I do everything I'm suppose to. I am very friendly towards my teacher and classmates.

I emailed my teacher about the art essay because he wasn't clear on what he wanted on the paper. Since he doesn't reply to MY emails, I saw him during office hours and he had a real attitude with me. Ever since then it was negative. The students treat me horribly. I asked three of the students if they wanted a ride home because our teacher randomly let us out an hour and a half early. The three students were scrambling for rides and the one girl said she took the bus, so I offered to take them home and didn't care the distance. They looked at me weird and didn't even saying "No, I'm good." Or even respond back to me. They treated me like I was a parasite. They just went out in the hallway.

I felt bad for the fact that they were scrambling for rides and a bus schedule. I have a perfectly full size car that can fit three other people, so why not ask them if they want a ride home right? They just made me feel like a creep for even asking them. It's a very negative class. My teacher walks away from me as I'm talking. He says "Hi" to everyone that enters the classroom except for me. I am so confused because I was always friendly to him. A requirement is to go to a museum and send proof of yourself being there. So, I sent him this video of this beautiful artwork and I sent him a pic of myself with a piece of artwork. That is what's required.

He never replies to my emails and he didn't reply. So, I asked him in person when class came if he received the pic and vid, and I expressed how much I loved the psychedelic art. He gave me a quick curt response "Yeah I received it. Nothing to talk about." I thought that was so rude! Because I was so excited about that piece of art and he was just rude about it.

I might have to take other classes of his but I literally was suffocating in his class with his energy and the 7 other students energy. I don't know if I should approach him and ask what his problem is? What would you do in a situation where you can't think of anything you did wrong, you are polite, and the teacher plays favorites and shows his hatred for you? I honestly never want to deal with him again but his classes fit so well with my schedule come spring. I would not even address him if it wasn't for the fact that I might have to take more of his classes for the spring semester. I have very limited options with the specific classes I need to take and the schedule. Of course my teacher's classes fits well with my upcoming spring semester. What would you do?
From what it sounds like, you may be putting too much stock into what some other people think about you. I do agree that this is some cold treatment you are receiving, but since it is not just the teacher, but some peers as well, it could be that they don't know how to take you. Also, from what I've seen, art does tend to attract some "different characters".

As to the "ride" incident, maybe the other students weren't used to someone outside of family offering a ride.

All I can say is that you're probably coming off a certain way. What I would suggest is go to class and just be "invisible", don't talk to anyone, just focus on your task. People are also going to have different opinions, thoughts and interpretations of art so don't take it too personally that your instructor didn't share the same enthusiasm you had about your work.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:52 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
LMAO!!! Thanks for the laugh!

I think when one is usually teachers pet - just being ignored might be viewed as horrible treatment. Know what I mean?
I had days when I wish I was just ignored. LOL!!!

Old 12-17-2019, 12:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
I still wonder if there's a culture clash happening.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:25 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,805 times
Maybe that's your problem op; he doesn't buy into your teachers pet bull sh* *
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships