Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 08:03 AM

25 posts, read 13,545 times

Advertisements

I'm having a dilemma. My art teacher is rude. I can't think of what I did to him for him to not like me. I was always the teacher's pet. I do everything I'm suppose to. I am very friendly towards my teacher and classmates.

I emailed my teacher about the art essay because he wasn't clear on what he wanted on the paper. Since he doesn't reply to MY emails, I saw him during office hours and he had a real attitude with me. Ever since then it was negative. The students treat me horribly. I asked three of the students if they wanted a ride home because our teacher randomly let us out an hour and a half early. The three students were scrambling for rides and the one girl said she took the bus, so I offered to take them home and didn't care the distance. They looked at me weird and didn't even saying "No, I'm good." Or even respond back to me. They treated me like I was a parasite. They just went out in the hallway.

I felt bad for the fact that they were scrambling for rides and a bus schedule. I have a perfectly full size car that can fit three other people, so why not ask them if they want a ride home right? They just made me feel like a creep for even asking them. It's a very negative class. My teacher walks away from me as I'm talking. He says "Hi" to everyone that enters the classroom except for me. I am so confused because I was always friendly to him. A requirement is to go to a museum and send proof of yourself being there. So, I sent him this video of this beautiful artwork and I sent him a pic of myself with a piece of artwork. That is what's required.

He never replies to my emails and he didn't reply. So, I asked him in person when class came if he received the pic and vid, and I expressed how much I loved the psychedelic art. He gave me a quick curt response "Yeah I received it. Nothing to talk about." I thought that was so rude! Because I was so excited about that piece of art and he was just rude about it.

I might have to take other classes of his but I literally was suffocating in his class with his energy and the 7 other students energy. I don't know if I should approach him and ask what his problem is? What would you do in a situation where you can't think of anything you did wrong, you are polite, and the teacher plays favorites and shows his hatred for you? I honestly never want to deal with him again but his classes fit so well with my schedule come spring. I would not even address him if it wasn't for the fact that I might have to take more of his classes for the spring semester. I have very limited options with the specific classes I need to take and the schedule. Of course my teacher's classes fits well with my upcoming spring semester. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 08:11 AM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
I would not approach the teacher to ask "what his problem is." That's a guarantee to create animosity or increase it if it's already there.

If you want to discuss continuing to take classes with this instructor and you have specific questions about those classes or how that may or may not work for your program, approach the teacher and treat him as a professional. That means with civility and respect. Even if you don't feel that way, it's still important to act that way.

If you are unable to do that or the class energy is toxic to the level that you cannot function well, then the answer is to find other classes or other teachers in your program.

"Liking you" isn't a requirement for a student to do well in a class. It's certainly nice if there is a friendly relationship, but you can still learn, be challenged, become better, all without any personal feelings involved.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:13 AM

27,460 posts, read 1,055,262 times
Keep a positive energy. Avoid letting their "energy" get you down. Get "receipts," such as recording his "yeah, I got them." Stay on top of your assignments. Ask for clarifications IN CLASS, in front of witnesses. That way he'll have to answer to your satisfaction.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
Don't approach him. It's a class. Go in, take class, go home. Repeat daily.

SEVEN people and the teacher that didn't "like" you? Common denominator and all that...

And how many emails did you send?

Old 12-16-2019, 08:59 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Do you have bad breath? It would be worth checking out.....

Old 12-16-2019, 09:51 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
OP, I would NOT take any more of his classes. They fit with your schedule next semester? Figure out a different schedule. What year are you in, now? Unless you're in your senior year, and have to take certain classes to complete your graduation requirements, you have room to play with your schedule. Just finish this class, get out, and don't look back. That's my advice. You may discover another art teacher, whom you really enjoy and learn a lot from.

And btw, don't seek to be the "teacher's pet". Just do your work, and be respectful. Calling yourself "teacher's pet" has overtones of trying to ingratiate yourself to the teacher. Not a good idea. Can cause other students to resent you.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:21 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraredRoses View Post
I'm having a dilemma. My art teacher is rude. I can't think of what I did to him for him to not like me. I was always the teacher's pet. I do everything I'm suppose to. I am very friendly towards my teacher and classmates.

I emailed my teacher about the art essay because he wasn't clear on what he wanted on the paper. Since he doesn't reply to MY emails, I saw him during office hours and he had a real attitude with me. Ever since then it was negative. The students treat me horribly. I asked three of the students if they wanted a ride home because our teacher randomly let us out an hour and a half early. The three students were scrambling for rides and the one girl said she took the bus, so I offered to take them home and didn't care the distance. They looked at me weird and didn't even saying "No, I'm good." Or even respond back to me. They treated me like I was a parasite. They just went out in the hallway.

I felt bad for the fact that they were scrambling for rides and a bus schedule. I have a perfectly full size car that can fit three other people, so why not ask them if they want a ride home right? They just made me feel like a creep for even asking them. It's a very negative class. My teacher walks away from me as I'm talking. He says "Hi" to everyone that enters the classroom except for me. I am so confused because I was always friendly to him. A requirement is to go to a museum and send proof of yourself being there. So, I sent him this video of this beautiful artwork and I sent him a pic of myself with a piece of artwork. That is what's required.

He never replies to my emails and he didn't reply. So, I asked him in person when class came if he received the pic and vid, and I expressed how much I loved the psychedelic art. He gave me a quick curt response "Yeah I received it. Nothing to talk about." I thought that was so rude! Because I was so excited about that piece of art and he was just rude about it.

I might have to take other classes of his but I literally was suffocating in his class with his energy and the 7 other students energy. I don't know if I should approach him and ask what his problem is? What would you do in a situation where you can't think of anything you did wrong, you are polite, and the teacher plays favorites and shows his hatred for you? I honestly never want to deal with him again but his classes fit so well with my schedule come spring. I would not even address him if it wasn't for the fact that I might have to take more of his classes for the spring semester. I have very limited options with the specific classes I need to take and the schedule. Of course my teacher's classes fits well with my upcoming spring semester. What would you do?
Well, now you know how other students may have felt when you were teacher's pet.

That teacher's pet thing often equates to sucking up. Not all teachers like that - some have zero respect for anyone who does that.

You may be bending over backwards to ingratiate yourself and when it's not happening, you're trying even harder - which can turn off both teachers and fellow students.

Do as others have suggested and create a different schedule for spring.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:56 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraredRoses View Post
My first thought is that you may have said or done something, in your attempt to achieve "teacher's pet" status, that made him think you were crossing a boundary and being too personal or even flirtatious, so he's distancing himself as a way of protecting himself professionally.

My second thought is that he might just be a gruff guy and you're taking general grouchiness personally.

Without observing the situation, no one can really say.

Either way, if you have the option to take classes with someone else second semester, it sounds like that'd be a good idea.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:01 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,252,771 times
I can't believe no one is wondering how it's even possible that 8 individual people have decided not to "like" someone....in college????

And wanting to be a teachers pet? Huh??????

I'm thinking that OP isn't telling the whole story? Disappointed that an assignment at an art exhibition wasn't responded to with more enthusiasm.....

Old 12-16-2019, 11:02 AM

63 posts, read 36,648 times
OP. You sound like you have the expectation that everyone you meet in life should like you and want to be friends with you. Well, it does not work that way. You need to grow a thicker skin. I agree with others that say find another class with another art teacher, but if not, then just continue to act professional. Treat classmates as co-workers; that is, you can be friendly, but they are not your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships