Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 10:30 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
This is a hypothetical. I personally haven't been in any situation where I couldn't think of a better gift than an Amazon.com gift card.

If you were, though - probably not with someone close to you - would you think it's a smart choice? The recipient would have to be Internet-savvy, but I mean more the impersonality of it. Still, I lean toward it over cash or a card to a physical retailer that I don't know the person likes much. I can't find evidence that it's a common Christmas present, however.
I gave my dad an Amazon gift card. He's just so hard to shop for, I just give him gift card and let him buy what he wants! That is a better gift than giving him something that he will complain....
Why not give it to someone close? That's bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 10:34 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
no. Why not just a pre-paid Visa - can be used anywhere.

And with all the issues i've been reading about with these independent Amazon delivery people - they probably won't get their package anyway.
Knock on wood, my husband and I haven't had any issues, but my mom recently ordered something from Amazon, and the delivery person just put the package on the sidewalk next to the mailbox. Crazy!!! Lazy and stupid... but delivery people from FedEx do dumb stuff too... Anyway your post just reminded me that even Amazon people can be downright bad

Old 12-17-2019, 10:36 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Knock on wood, my husband and I haven't had any issues, but my mom recently ordered something from Amazon, and the delivery person just put the package on the sidewalk next to the mailbox. Crazy!!! Lazy and stupid... but delivery people from FedEx do dumb stuff too... Anyway your post just reminded me that even Amazon people can be downright bad

Interestingly enough Amazon is making its third party sellers to not use FedEx during Christmas because of stuff like that.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:37 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
I gave my dad an Amazon gift card. He's just so hard to shop for, I just give him gift card and let him buy what he wants! That is a better gift than giving him something that he will complain....
Why not give it to someone close? That's bad?
In my mind, there's an idea that, when possible, a gift is supposed to be meaningful in and of itself, not just a means to an item.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:20 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
I don't have a problem with an Amazon Gift card. If I received one, I'd think "Yay! free money I don't have to spend on groceries!"

But for those who are not internet savy...there's always Visa gift cards they can spend anywhere they want.

I've been in a quandary this holiday season, on what to get my parents, (mom and stepdad.) WHAT do you get people who have more than enough 'stuff'? My mom has already told us that she doesn't need anymore "smell good" stuff, so that's out. I will probably get them restaurant gift cards...and yeah...it DOES seem uncreative to me, but I can't really think of anything better, and I'm thinking maybe experiences are more welcome than stuff.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,418 times
My husband has an internet friend. They've been playing computer games together for years, and talking back and forth over Hangouts, but they've never met face to face. He also lives in Minnesota a state we've never stepped foot in. This year this friend helped my husband out tremendously, and we wanted to give him a ticket of our appreciation by sending him a Christmas card and giftcard. No idea what he likes other than computer games. No clue what restaurants he eats at etc. So we went with an Amazon gift card. I think it's safe to think he liked the gift and it was a total surprise.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:45 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't have a problem with an Amazon Gift card. If I received one, I'd think "Yay! free money I don't have to spend on groceries!"

But for those who are not internet savy...there's always Visa gift cards they can spend anywhere they want.

I've been in a quandary this holiday season, on what to get my parents, (mom and stepdad.) WHAT do you get people who have more than enough 'stuff'? My mom has already told us that she doesn't need anymore "smell good" stuff, so that's out. I will probably get them restaurant gift cards...and yeah...it DOES seem uncreative to me, but I can't really think of anything better, and I'm thinking maybe experiences are more welcome than stuff.
I like to gift experiences to the parents. They're all at the age where they're looking to downsize over accumulating more stuff. But, I personally, still see restaurant gift cards as not much different than giving cash. Typically, to me, experiences mean things they probably would never do themselves, aka comedians, concerts, plays, etc. Most of our parents are homebodies, so it's good to get them out of the house and experience something they wouldn't do themselves. My parents even now buy season tickets to their local playhouse after we gave them one as a gift one year.

For years my dad said he'd love to skydive. Of course, he never did. One year we bought him a skydive trip. The look on his face when he opened it and realized he now actually had to go

Old 12-17-2019, 01:53 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
It works beautifully for my overseas relatives. Sending them an actual gift by mail is so expensive I don't have much flexibility. I'd rather spend more on the contents of the package than the freight. What would be an appropriate gift for relations living in a very different situation than I do is tough. My modest gift demonstrates that I think about them and hope they get some enjoyment from their time choosing just the right thing. This year several of them just moved into new houses. What better way to help them outfit them?

Old 12-17-2019, 02:03 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Short of 'cash'.. Amazon is the best GC to use because EVERYONE can find something they need/want on Amazon.

I tend to send money simply because.. It can be used anywhere for anything. Like my sister.. She's just getting out into the workforce (She's 20 years younger than me) and I've given her just money the past 2 years. never know when cash for a house payment is better than Amazon money to spend on something to go into the house.

I send the money through Zelle, because.. No fees. At least with the setup they have with USAA.

The nephews.. Being under 18.. I made them get savings accounts and transfer money to that. Intended for going towards a car, but..

Old 12-17-2019, 02:25 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
This whole thread reads like an advertisement for Amazon gift cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships