Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 04:45 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Any chance your niece has severe social anxiety or some other similar disorder that might cause her to panic at the thought of a stranger at a family event?
We don't know. My first thought was to wonder about her father and whether or not any change to a past practice on this particular day that for many is emotion-laden brought up loss - if not solely for herself then perhaps on behalf of her mother, spoken or unspoken.

It sounds like this family has minimized the drama with the niece willing to welcome a new family friend on Thursday. I would suggest that the subject be revisited in a very kind manner after the friend leaves. Maybe the niece is just a jerk or maybe there is more to this with her feelings worth understanding - not caving in to necessarily but understanding. Not all of us roll the same way.

Merry Christmas Eve to all.

Last edited by EveryLady; 12-24-2019 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 04:59 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Everyone is welcome in my home boyfriends, girlfriends, people with no where else to go, neighbors with no family, coworkers I don’t care. Come one come all some people obviously don’t understand the true meaning of Christmas. Side note: no one not even our children will ever tell us who we can have in our own home. Thank goodness my kids were raised to believe that our table can always stretch to include one more.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Christmas is for families, never outsiders.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:22 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:37 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
My birthday falls within a week of Christmas. I have a very small family and not many friends so for the past 7 years since I've been divorced I've spent my birthday and usually Christmas eve alone.

Earlier this year I reconnected with a man that I hadn't seen in 4 years. We dated for a while but he moved. We stayed in touch through the years. He DROVE last week to come see me. It's been a wonderful visit. Enter into the picture my 21 year old niece and her mother (my sister). They don't want to come over to my house for Christmas day because my visitor will still be with me. They say Christmas is all about family and they're not comfortable with a stranger. I say he's a guest in my house and that I disagree, I think the holidays should be all about sharing and togetherness regardless of family. Besides, I can't tell my guest to leave.

I could really use my C-D family's input here. Am I the jerk?
You're not the jerk.Your niece and your sister are.The holidays isn't about just family.Like you said,it's about togetherness and sharing with family AND friends as well.It's your house and your rules.If they don't like it tough Spend it with the guy and have a wonderful time.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:39 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
We've always had guests during holidays. My parents will have friends over and, before I was married, I'd always bring a friend along. Then again, we live far away from extended family, so the more, the merrier. When I was a kid growing up around a large family, I guess I remember only family members. If your niece chooses not to come, I guess that is her call.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:48 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
My birthday falls within a week of Christmas. I have a very small family and not many friends so for the past 7 years since I've been divorced I've spent my birthday and usually Christmas eve alone.

Earlier this year I reconnected with a man that I hadn't seen in 4 years. We dated for a while but he moved. We stayed in touch through the years. He DROVE last week to come see me. It's been a wonderful visit. Enter into the picture my 21 year old niece and her mother (my sister). They don't want to come over to my house for Christmas day because my visitor will still be with me. They say Christmas is all about family and they're not comfortable with a stranger. I say he's a guest in my house and that I disagree, I think the holidays should be all about sharing and togetherness regardless of family. Besides, I can't tell my guest to leave.

Their loss...You are not a jerk!

Old 12-24-2019, 06:49 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You don’t understand the true meaning of Christmas.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:08 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Right. Angst about opening gifts in front of him? Odd.
Well, yes, mental health disorders can look odd.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:23 PM

13,753 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:

That's why I don't like going to my sisters home. Yes, its generous that she invites those from her church with are alone for the holidays but I don't know any of these people.

I want to talk with my nieces and sister. They live in a different state and I rarely see them or my sister.

Same thing with my brother. He invites my wife and I over but they go to his wife's father's house. The fathers (new) wife invites her family members. Sisters, brothers, cousins.

They all sit around chatting and having a great time.

Meanwhile I'm thinking why aren't we celebrating at my brothers home with his wife and two kids. They also live in another state and I don't see them that often. Why am I here with my brothers wife's fathers family?

Tomorrow it's going to be my wife and I at in own home

Which is fine by us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships