Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 08:42 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Thanks to everyone for your input. Tried to give reps to everyone.

I'm spending Christmas day with my friend and we'll go to church in the morning then I plan on cooking a nice meal. My sister and niece are coming over on Thursday and I'm picking up take-out for them. (or Uber Eats if it's raining!)
That's sounds like a good solution, O.P.

Have a lovely extended holiday with your friend, then your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 08:43 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,513 times
Quote:

I'm spending Christmas day with my friend and we'll go to church in the morning then I plan on cooking a nice meal. My sister and niece are coming over on Thursday and I'm picking up take-out for them. (or Uber Eats if it's raining!)

Great, I didn't see this post until now after just posting my opinion above.

I'm glad to hear what your plans will turn out to be.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2019, 08:44 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
No idea why my niece is doing this. I hadn't shared anything about my friend other than I liked him and was sad when he moved. I keep shaking my head over this because my niece invited her boyfriend over for Thanksgiving and the day before tells me he's a vegetarian so I switched up the menu! It was the first time I had met her boyfriend. I tried to use this as a teaching moment that he was welcome into my house with no drama, but it fell flat.
It’s your house and your celebration. The first person invited who expresses an opinion on the guest list is unmannerly and disinvited. Just do christmas with your boyfriend. Case closed.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:44 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:

I hope y’all have a great time!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2019, 08:45 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times
Quote:
No idea why my niece is doing this. I hadn't shared anything about my friend other than I liked him and was sad when he moved. I keep shaking my head over this because my niece invited her boyfriend over for Thanksgiving and the day before tells me he's a vegetarian so I switched up the menu!
Let him eat celery.

Seriously...do NOT switch up your menu for any last-minute 'demands.' It never ends well.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:47 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
No way. He is PhureeKeeper's guest. She is fine with him. Her niece is overstepping her boundaries. Niece is allowed her opinion but beyond stating that, she should accept the guest or bow out.
A person does not dictate who the guests are in another home.

No. This is a time for inclusion, not exclusion. Boyfriend is a guest same as the sister and niece no matter how long he has been known. When you have an unexpected guest at the holidays, people need to be gracious to them and not worried that they're imposing on a family event.

PhureeKeeper, you are perfectly right to include him. Realize you most likely won't influence your niece (in regards to comparing her boyfriend and yours) to change her attitude. Be ready with a firm response explaining your boyfriend is welcome.

Family drama can be tough! Let your niece do what she wishes.
This!
It is rude to expect the invited friend’s “disappearing” act. It would be weird if he even offers that. I would take it even against him if he does.. unsocial, or if he has something to hide about himself.
Let them all talk, get to know each other - he could be family some day...

Old 12-24-2019, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Your house, your rules. Do as you please.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
What my wife and I dislike is when someone has a significant other that wants to avoid us. One niece has a long time boy friend that does not want to come to any family event. He had tried in the past to get her to not come to family events. She tells him to get bent. That is a form of control that we do not like.

I don't see this as any different.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:59 AM

7,139 posts, read 4,546,769 times
RJ, I find it childish that you don’t spend holidays with anyone that you didn’t know by 18. Many years we would invite anyone we knew that was going to be alone on either Xmas or thanksgiving. I remarried in my 40’s after my kids were adults. He also has 2 kids. We have a great relationship with all 5 kids and love to spend time together. Sometimes we vacation together. You are missing out by being rigid.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:01 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Quote:
No idea why my niece is doing this. I hadn't shared anything about my friend other than I liked him and was sad when he moved. I keep shaking my head over this because my niece invited her boyfriend over for Thanksgiving and the day before tells me he's a vegetarian so I switched up the menu! It was the first time I had met her boyfriend. I tried to use this as a teaching moment that he was welcome into my house with no drama, but it fell flat.
Oh my gosh, you did? That's really nice. Everybody knows that at my house any vegetarians can eat the sides. I don't change menus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships