Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 11:07 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,102,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Two hours or so isn't going to kill you. This is your fault and I agree with the poster cdnirene it will be rude for you to back out now.

If this were me there is zero chance I would have accepted in the first place. I would have thanked them for inviting me and politely declined.

This is the same as "suck it up," which is always bad advice. This is your holiday; spend it the way you want.

I wouldn't want to be surrounded by screaming kids who aren't related to me, or semi-strangers who will either ignore or "pity" you. Ewww.
Have a YOU Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 11:23 AM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
This is the same as "suck it up," which is always bad advice. This is your holiday; spend it the way you want.

I wouldn't want to be surrounded by screaming kids who aren't related to me, or semi-strangers who will either ignore or "pity" you. Ewww.
Have a YOU Christmas!
Except this situation is much different.

It's not bad advice to suggest to someone to keep their word but it's obvious I am more honest than you are.
Very rude to back out of plans at the last minute. It's downright selfish in my eyes.

OP - Keep the peace with the co-worker as you accepted the invitation and go. It's not like you are required to spend 3-5 hours there...

Last edited by John13; 12-25-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-25-2019, 11:30 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm basically an adult orphan (minus any living relatives) and had stated to a co-worker that I would be home alone on Christmas. I was invited to attend their family gathering and accepted, but am not really in the frame of mind of wanting to go and not really into large gatherings with lots of kids either. I've grappled with ways to back out but can't think of anything compelling enough. I want to tell the truth that I'd be happier at this point with a quiet day at home, but don't want to hurt feelings. It's not like they'll "miss me" ....but don't want to seem ungrateful, which I'm not. Ideas?
There is another alternative, go but don't feel you have to stay all day or anything. Maybe just go for a drink or two. That way no one gets hurt. When you've had enough just tell them you're kinda beat and be gracious for the dinner or drinks or time spent there. You never know, you might find once you get there you're actually having a better time than you thought you would. That happens too. Play it by ear.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Except the situation is much different.

It's not bad advice to suggest to someone to keep their word but it"s obvious I am more honest than you are.
Very rude to back out of plans at the last minute. It's downright selfish in my eyes.
Yes, it is much different. Why should I feel obligated into going and how would declining initially be any different than today a few hours beforehand? The occasion isn't centered around me and not going won't impact the preparation quantity of what is served. Two people at the event know me and the remaining 10-12 have never met me. Explaining from my perspective should clear it up for anyone with the ability to imagine being in someone else's shoes.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is much different. Why should I feel obligated into going and how would declining initially be any different than today a few hours beforehand? The occasion isn't centered around me and not going won't impact the preparation quantity of what is served. Two people at the event know me and the remaining 10-12 have never met me. Explaining from my perspective should clear it up for anyone with the ability to imagine being in someone else's shoes.
I just added a line to my post.

It puzzles me why you started this topic in the first place.

It seems you already have your mind made up to back out. You have free will. Just do whatever...

Old 12-25-2019, 11:40 AM

6,870 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Never tell anyone you will be alone on Christmas or Thanksgiving...... You will end up invited, or if not, chances are they will think you are fishing for an invitation.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I just added a line to my post.

It puzzles me why you started this topic in the first place.

It seems you already have your mind made up to back out. You have free will. Just do whatever...

For validation. As someone living alone, my cat can only offer so much advice...

Old 12-25-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Never tell anyone you will be alone on Christmas or Thanksgiving...... You will end up invited, or if not, chances are they will think you are fishing for an invitation.
And in the end it would appear the moral of the story, thank you!

Old 12-25-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
For validation. As someone living alone, my cat can only offer so much advice...
FWIW I'm alone too, including no pets. I'd rather be alone than except that invitation in the first place.

You accepted the invite and I am not giving a stamp of approval to back out.

As mentioned you have free will but it will be extremely bad form should you happen to lie about a reason for having second thoughts.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
If asked I tell the truth.

Invite me and I would state a polite and firm no thank you. If pressed I would mention this is a family type of holiday and I would feel awkward. I would not feed into it any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships