Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 06:42 PM

63 posts, read 36,648 times

Advertisements

OP. What is the key to enjoying yourself at a social gathering your never wanted to attend in the first place? As I have said before, "Bring a case of sparkling wine and several large glasses for sharing. Things get more enjoyable after 1/2 a bottle."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 07:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,418 times
Here's the flip side of this scenario. I invited a new friend who recently moved to our area from out of state to our house for Christmas dinner tonight. I asked her well over a month ago if she'd like to join us and she accepted. I saw her two weeks ago in person, we did a little lunch and shopping together and she said she was still coming and asked what she could bring, and then offered to bring a dessert. I texted her later to find out what she likes to drink so that I could have a beverage on hand that she likes.

Fast forward to today. We bought two turkey roasts, an extra because she was coming and double the gree. Beans too. I did not make a dessert because she was bringing it. After we opened up our gifts this morning I immediately started cleaning the house and getting it ready for having a guest over, cleaned the guest bathroom etc.
At 10:30a.m.she texts and says she's so sorry but she can't make it, something came up. She's not sick, she didn't have some major calamity, she either had a better offer which is most likely, or maybe she just wanted to stay home, but if that was the case maybe she shouldn't have posted on Facebook minutes before herself all dolled up with makeup and looking ready to go out.

So I wasted money on extra food, I have no dessert for tonight, wasted time cleaning my house when I could have just hung out in my jammies and left the mess for tomorrow, and she hurt my feelings by waiting until the last minute to bail. She could have said something a few days ago, still would have been disappointed but I would have understood. What she did today was rude and I will not trust her word again. If you say you're going to go somewhere then you go, barring an emergency. Yes it's her holiday and she can do what she likes, but people who flake out like this hurt the people like me who just want to be kind and help others.

OP go to the function. You said you were going to go and to cancel now would be terrible. You can deal with an hour or so. Please don't be like my "friend".

Old 12-25-2019, 07:51 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why should you feel obligated? Because you made a commitment to another person, that's why. They have prepared and planned for you to be there. Don't you honor other obligations you make? Don't you expect others to keep their commitments to you?
And, it being a co-worker makes this different. Not knowing what industry you work in, but could this show some doubts about you honoring some future work commitments, deadlines, meeting with a new client.... Are they going to wonder if you might back out last minute?

I would have said No to begin with, but since you said Yes, then you have to go, sorry. Just stay 1-2 hours. Not worth the awkwardness at work on Monday.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:10 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,683,109 times
I've never backed out of plans once I said I would go. Unless I'm actually sick, I go even if on the day of the plans I suddenly don't feel like it. I usually have a good time and if not I don't stay all day or all evening. It's the golden rule for me and I wouldn't want someone to just cancel or not feel like showing up if I were the one extending an invite.

But, now you know for the future you don't say yes to an invite unless you mean it. Or you commit to nothing more than stopping by for a drink, or just not be available if you don't want to be available.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:17 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Hey, Crazy4Chickens..... I would never bail on an invitation if you invited me to dinner. No, not fishing for an invite...... I live far away from you. ;-)
I just think your friend was rude.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:05 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
I'm sure by now you've either gone or bailed.

My take is, you should go if you made that commitment. However ...

If it was a casual invite to an open house sort of thing, then maybe you would have more wiggle room to decide not to go. I had a friend who used to do these and there was always a lot of people coming & going through the house. One person not showing up really wouldn't have had much, if any, impact.

If this was a sit-down dinner thing, then no, you really need to go.

My opinion, anyway.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:14 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,361,544 times
I would've gone even if it was a short visit, These days we spend more time being disconnected than connected.... You can't replace the time spent behind a screen than with people who care about you.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:23 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I would've gone even if it was a short visit, These days we spend more time being disconnected than connected.... You can't replace the time spent behind a screen than with people who care about you.
The notion of "caring" here is debatable. It looks like the OP got a courtesy invite: something done to be generous or kind, rather than with sincere enthusiasm, which is not a bad thing. Since the family planned on the OP coming, and if it was a sit-down dinner, the proper thing to do was to show up, awkwardness nonewithstanding. If it's a casual "come eat some snacks and watch 'Home Alone'" night, it'd be equally proper to politely back out, it being a courtesy invite and all. Also, who was at the event other than the OP? Just family and close friends, or a diverse mishmash of attendees?

OP, cone back and tell us. Did you go, and what kind of night was it?

Old 12-25-2019, 09:59 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
OP, cone back and tell us. Did you go, and what kind of night was it?
Should we guess if OP went or not?

I say OP went, stayed 3 hours, and had a "decent time"

Old 12-25-2019, 10:02 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Should we guess if OP went or not?

I say OP went, stayed 3 hours, and had a "decent time"
I'll guess he didn't go AND he didn't even call to say he wouldn't be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships