Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 06:16 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To those going on about extra food wasted, I was the only person attending as not part of two families which included the two sets of parents and six kids.
I don't know if you mentioned this earlier or not, but now I understand a lot better why you didn't want to go. I wouldn't want to, either. You're the only outsider in a large, close gathering of relatives who all knew each other since birth. It's not like a group of friends getting together to watch the Super Bowl.

So I don't blame you for backing out. That dinner would feel awkward as hell! I'd be wondering if the relatives are thinking: "What's that dude doing here?" "That guy at the holiday dinner table" is a popular TV show trope for a reason. When you first described it, it sounded more like a "family and a bunch of friends doing something to fill an otherwise empty day" kind of thing. It didn't sound like a Norman Rockwell-eque family gathering around a large table, where you'd be "the intruder".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 06:41 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
I've gotten a number of these invites over the years and have always been able to say "no" right away. Having a day to myself gives me a chance to regroup, do some outdoor activity that makes me feel good, and is generally less stressful.

That said, if I'd managed to say yes and then regretted it, I think I would have gone for a little while, though I certainly would have over stressed about it leading up to it.

For future reference, I think a migraine can be someone you can suffer from one day and be ok the next. I've had a few myself, and if they hit in the morning I will be shot for that day but ok the following. I had to deal with THREE sick people at the event I went to yesterday and am still pretty upset about that. I wish they'd stayed home. And honestly if they told me they were sick I would have stayed home!

And to the poster whose friend cancelled but posted pix of herself going out - rude!!! She definitely made a commitment to you by saying she was bringing food. It's always good to hear the other side.

Old 12-26-2019, 06:53 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Yes, it is much different. Why should I feel obligated into going and how would declining initially be any different than today a few hours beforehand? The occasion isn't centered around me and not going won't impact the preparation quantity of what is served. Two people at the event know me and the remaining 10-12 have never met me. Explaining from my perspective should clear it up for anyone with the ability to imagine being in someone else's shoes.
It is not about obligation or not, or whether they will miss you or not, or whether their efforts in preparation will be wasted or not. You accepted an invitation. To decline it hours before requires an explanation. It is okay for people to change their minds, just explain why.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
This would be my worst nightmare and I've have no problem coming up with a little white lie to get out of it. No chance in the world I'm going to spare their feelings. I'd definitely let them know I appreciated the offer though.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:17 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Since we're discussing elaborate plans to get out of next year's Christmas dinners, how about... food poisoning? You can say something like: "Sorry, I can't make it. I think I have food poisoning. Serves me right for undercooking the sausages."

It teeters on the TMI territory, while not actually going there, and most people will not ask for details. Plus, when you come in to work looking and feeling normal, they'll attribute it to the food poisoning being mild.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:23 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times
People are ascribing a lot of holier than thou thought process to the invitation. I've known people who would otherwise be alone at the holiday and invited them. Some people want to be alone, others would rather have people to enjoy a meal with. Not a big deal either way.

If you don't want to go, just say no thank you. If you say yes, you really should put in an appearance and bring a small offering.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:14 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Unless they are really good friends, I don't blame you for changing your mind.

It was probably a sudden decision for you to say yes and you thought about it afterwards.

Maybe the host/hostess were relieved also that they didn't have to explain and introduce you to their family. It WAS nice of them to invite you, so I think I'd send some flowers or chocolates with a note stating your appreciation for inviting you.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:48 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why should you feel obligated? Because you made a commitment to another person, that's why. They have prepared and planned for you to be there. Don't you honor other obligations you make? Don't you expect others to keep their commitments to you?
Yep, OP lost me at that last reply.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:02 AM

732 posts, read 1,046,363 times
Why does everybody make this so complicated?

1. If you're invited somewhere you don't want to go, say "Thanks for asking but I have plans."

2. If you're invited somewhere and accept but change your mind later, say, "I'm sorry but something came up and I won't be able to make it after all. Thanks for asking though and give my best to everyone."

Old 12-26-2019, 11:20 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
I'm basically an adult orphan (minus any living relatives) and had stated to a co-worker that I would be home alone on Christmas. I was invited to attend their family gathering and accepted, but am not really in the frame of mind of wanting to go and not really into large gatherings with lots of kids either. I've grappled with ways to back out but can't think of anything compelling enough. I want to tell the truth that I'd be happier at this point with a quiet day at home, but don't want to hurt feelings. It's not like they'll "miss me" ....but don't want to seem ungrateful, which I'm not. Ideas?
I'd go since you DID say you'd be alone. Next time, say nothing if you don't want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships