Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 09:49 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

I'm basically an adult orphan (minus any living relatives) and had stated to a co-worker that I would be home alone on Christmas. I was invited to attend their family gathering and accepted, but am not really in the frame of mind of wanting to go and not really into large gatherings with lots of kids either. I've grappled with ways to back out but can't think of anything compelling enough. I want to tell the truth that I'd be happier at this point with a quiet day at home, but don't want to hurt feelings. It's not like they'll "miss me" ....but don't want to seem ungrateful, which I'm not. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 09:56 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,004,124 times
Ordinarily I'm not a fan of fibbing, but at this last minute it seems to me that the only way to gracefully back out is to invent a headache or the perceived onset of a cold. In fact the latter is good because then you can honestly say that you don't want to transmit any viruses to their family. (It's true that you don't want to transmit any viruses -- you never want to transmit viruses -- but the fact that you may not have any viruses at the moment doesn't need to be revealed.)

And of course express your unhappiness at not being able to attend, and thank them for the invitation.

Old 12-25-2019, 09:56 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,136 times
"Thank you so much for your invitation. I always use Christmas as a time to relax and for some self-reflection, so I prefer not to attend any gatherings. I really appreciate you thinking of me, though."

As long as you express gratitude and say something about benefiting yourself by staying alone, what other excuse do you need? No lying necessary.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:15 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Thank them for thinking of you, apologize and just tell them the truth that you'd rather be home by yourself.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:23 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times
After having accepted the very kind and generous invitation, I think it would be really rude to cancel at the very last minute by saying that that their their company is just not appealing. That rejection is a slap in the face. So if you really don’t want to go, be kind and feign a headache or illness.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:37 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,209,087 times
The problem with inventing a cold is that coworker will see you tomorrow at work and notice you aren't sick. But I agree a polite excuse of illness is best or suck it up and go.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:49 AM

11,374 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Two hours or so isn't going to kill you. This is your fault and I agree with the poster cdnirene it will be rude for you to back out now.

If this were me there is zero chance I would have accepted in the first place. I would have thanked them for inviting me and politely declined.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:54 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
After having accepted the very kind and generous invitation, I think it would be really rude to cancel at the very last minute by saying that that their their company is just not appealing. That rejection is a slap in the face. So if you really don’t want to go, be kind and feign a headache or illness.
I agree with this. You can't back out the day of without being extremely rude, even if you're sure they won't really care. Your coworker might hold it against you forever and could have unpleasant repercussions in the work place.

It's too late to cancel, so just go for a couple hours and you can always make an excuse to leave early by saying you promised to call your relatives at XX time.

Next time just say no right away.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:01 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
If you've already accepted, I would say you should go. It would be rude to bail at the last minute.

The same thing happens to me, and my response is always the same. "I really appreciate the invitation, but I actually enjoy my solo Christmas. I've developed a number of traditions that I look forward to each year."

It's not lying. I enjoy a quiet day of pajamas, jigsaw puzzles, cooking, and classic musicals.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:04 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,128,212 times
At this late time... go for a short visit, you don't have to stay long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships