Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 02:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times

Advertisements

A relative was telling me that she often thought about her college room mate from the early 1960s. They were best friends for many decades but lost touch about a dozen years ago (as they lived in different states and were busy with grandchildren/life/health issues/etc.). My relative said that she thought about calling her friend or sending her a letter numerous times but "something always came up" and she always put it off until later.

On Saturday she decided to look to see if her college room mate had a Facebook page. Much to her dismay, she discovered that her dear friend had passed away a few days earlier and her funeral had been the previous day. My relative was sad that she never found the time to call or write her dear friend. Please call your friend or relative before it is too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 03:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Good post. And a timely reminder especially at this time of year.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:41 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,098,694 times
Thanks for the reminder.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,939 times
It is a good reminder. One of my good friends from college and I reconnected after several decades of being out of touch. She actually died shortly after we reconnected (car crash). Luckily, I've gotten back in touch with other friends with much happier results.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:08 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
One of my best friends from childhood died young. He was killed in a murder-suicide incident with him being the victim. It was on the news, somehow I missed it. If I would of known, I would of gone to his funeral. Sometimes, life goes fast and we forget about our good friends from our younger days. I do agree, we need to reach out more rather than being "disconnected" by the Internet & social media.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:11 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
This happened to a relative of mine. He had a nephew locate his best friend from many years before online, but the man had literally died a week before the nephew found him. It was pretty devastating.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:52 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
Really good reminder.

I just had a “major” birthday and feel more nostalgic than usual. I just sent a college roommate a Christmas card with a note to hopefully an address where her family lives. I hope she responds. We had such fun together but fell out of touch over the years.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:00 PM

7,110 posts, read 4,830,642 times
Very true. I had a similar experience with a friend I’d known since kindergarten. We’d kept in touch sporadically over many years (I’m almost 65). We both moved many times over the years, ending up on different ends of the country. But always reconnecting.

I’d been thinking of her for several weeks, but couldn’t find a way to contact. In the middle of those few weeks, she took her own life. If I’d made an extra effort to locate her, maybe I could’ve given her an ear or a shoulder. It may have made a difference.

And I miss her, even though we didn’t have a hands-on, day to day friendship.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:36 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
A relative was telling me that she often thought about her college room mate from the early 1960s. They were best friends for many decades but lost touch about a dozen years ago (as they lived in different states and were busy with grandchildren/life/health issues/etc.). My relative said that she thought about calling her friend or sending her a letter numerous times but "something always came up" and she always put it off until later.

On Saturday she decided to look to see if her college room mate had a Facebook page. Much to her dismay, she discovered that her dear friend had passed away a few days earlier and her funeral had been the previous day. My relative was sad that she never found the time to call or write her dear friend. Please call your friend or relative before it is too late.
This is such a great post! I could add several stories, in which I'd been thinking about someone, even in one instance, driving through their area on a road trip, but being unable to stop due to an extremely tight travel budget, only to find that a few months later, they'd passed away! Just recently I looked up a couple of people, whom I could have visited on my last trip to Seattle a few years ago, but they weren't uppermost in my mind at the time; I had other priorities. Now, suddenly, they're gone!

Please, people; don't take your friends and valued associates for granted. Unfortunately, some people do pass away younger than expected. You just never know. Make the extra effort to reach out, of you possibly can.

Where is the "heart" emoji, when you need it? Wonderful topic!

Old 12-31-2019, 05:29 PM

24,596 posts, read 10,909,474 times
I did that a couple of years ago; actually my only bride's maid as well. Did I get an ear full.

Talked to mother on Christmas and she called today. Pleasant conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships